I bought a Turbotech manual boost controller and I'm confused!

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Halp!

I bought one of those little turbotech's off eBay but I'm stumped as to how to plumb it into the turbo system.

It has two copper inlets, One facing down the other facing right. The one facing down on the instructions is supposed to be directed toward the turbo, the one facing right is supposed to be directed towards the waste gate actuator.

So, I know that it is supposed to be plumbed into the red tipped tube as in Mitchys guide but I'm lost as to what end goes where.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

G

Unregistered
remove the red tiped hose now connect it to....

the one facing right, (is supposed to be directed towards the waste gate actuator)

put a new bit of hose between the nipple on the intake elbow and connect to.....

The one facing down, (on the instructions is supposed to be directed toward the turbo)

understand now?? :D

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Oh god, I just bought the same thing off Ebay....

Eeeeek

Steve, let me know if your engine explodes !

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
That article mentions disabling "factory electronic boost control" does an 8G VR-4 have this? I didn't think it did...

cheers

Lee

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Carsten I could Kiss you! Nick, thanks for the link man it made it a little easier.

Wish me luck everyone, I'm gona take her out for a spin.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Haha I don't think he could do any damage even if he got it totally wrong ;) Well unless he attached it to a fan or something :rolleyes:

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
let us know how you get on mate! Unless you blow something up...then blame Carsten!

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Wow, that has to be the best bang-for-buck mod I've ever done to a car in my life. All I did was set it open, have a sprint and tighten it up some more then go again. I'm now sitting on just under 12psi and the response is magic!

I'll take some picks once I've cleaned up my engine bay so everyone can see what it looks like.

happyvr4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charandeep
Drive
Mitsubishi legnum VR4
They cost around $30. Since I got one, the car has been a different beast. I also installed a boost gauge to keep an eye on boost. Its been a good mod only that now it seems to guzzle down more fuel and its hard to avoid being a lead foot.

G

Unregistered
That article mentions disabling "factory electronic boost control" does an 8G VR-4 have this? I didn't think it did...

cheers

Lee

it does and you only need to disable it when going full EBC,
not when installing a bleed valve like this.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
mmm more boost :)

Good work Steve !

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Exactly what I was thinking Mark :p Cant wait to hit the free way tomorrow morning.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
They cost around $30. Since I got one, the car has been a different beast. I also installed a boost gauge to keep an eye on boost. Its been a good mod only that now it seems to guzzle down more fuel and its hard to avoid being a lead foot.

I'm already thinking of putting my right foot on a diet...:p

I've got a boost gauge and a AF ratio Gauge coming too. All off Ebay

Turbotech Boost Controller - $30 + $7 post
Boost Gauge - $41 + $20 Post
Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge - $31 + $25 Post
Knowing all the first names of every staff member at my Local Shell Servo - Priceless !

G

Unregistered
Haha I don't think he could do any damage even if he got it totally wrong ;) Well unless he attached it to a fan or something :rolleyes:

veeeeeery wrong....

all you have to do is put it in backwards, which will cause the wastegates to not open at all, and the turbo's will spool until they explode, causing your engine to be filled with parts of exploded impeller.

Top Bottom