idle stepper motor - anyone had problems with it?

anthony

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
tony
Drive
Rare Manual Legnum VR-4
any of you guys had problems with the stepper motor.looks like i May have to take mine out and clean it or get a new one.

G

Unregistered
it's semi common,

most just need a good clean,
some die due to not being cleaned and getting jammed.

its no big deal.

i have a spare working one just in case thou.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
I had a 4G61 powered Lancer CB GSR that had a stepper motor problem.

I ended up buying a front cut 4G61T and replaced the whole motor less turbo and then sold the car.

You probably didn't want to hear that !

anthony

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
tony
Drive
Rare Manual Legnum VR-4
they cost £500 over here in england from Mitzi but camskill do them for £85.00. guys on cvr4 say they can be cleaned with brake cleaner but seems to be a short term remedy.i'll problery get the new 1 from camskill.

G

Unregistered
Yeah, as we've spoken about on CVR4, it's no big deal - The stepper motor used seems to be very similar to other 6A1x engines, so even if it's not the specified one (as in the camskill one, I think they're the FTO units) it'll fit and work fine, with maybe a touch of adjustment to the basic idle adjustment screw.

Inlet cleaner/degreaser can free off a stepper that's playing up because it's bunged up with grot. Even cleaned ones can still be troublesome - They are just one of those units that occasionally 'goes' and getting all grotty certainly doesn't help them in this regard.

I recall that was a way of testing them , but I can't remember it right now... probably because it's Stupid O'Clock and I really should go and rest......

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Looks like my idle stepper has ceased to live (stalling) but before I announce time of death can anyone clear a few things up for me?

1: Does the ISC have a startup or self test routine? Mine doesn't move when powered or when starting.
2: Which other models share the same part? FTO and other 6A equipped cars? Anything else AUDM we know of like magnas etc?
3: Part number?

thanks all

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Part number for ours is: MD628056 according to ASA it only relates to the Galant/Legnum 8 gen.

6G7x is: MD628053 and MD628059. Unsure of what the differences are between the parts.

This is where I got my replacement magna one from years ago: http://www.nardek.com.au/isc.htm

They also used to have a page on how to test the ISC for faults, but I can't find it there anymore.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Thanks for the info. Pity Mits didn't dig in the parts bin and pinch one from something common. Anybody know the location of the test routine?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Interesting as I can only find one part number for the stepper motor across the years on ASA?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Unfortunately not the same as facelift. Facelift here.

That page also shows the ASA part number that Paul is referring to. Where does it say it's for a Facelift?????

I've got one for sale that Paul linked to. I don't have the ring part though. $80.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Correction, there are two part numbers. Not sure how to determine which is which though. It seems Brad you have MD614978 (due to the E9T15298 printed on the part), however I'm unsure as to whether or not this is PFL or FL as I can't read Japanese.

Line "O" refers to us:

ISCpartnumbers1.jpg

And how to identify which is which, but what they apply to I don't know:

ISCpartnumbers2.jpg

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
So it looks as though you can also use one from a 6A12 (FTO), & those engines also have 4 possible part numbers?
You would think by looking at it that PFL are on the left & FL are on the right, but that would be in English.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Highly likely that FTO ones would fit. I'm not surprised that they're the same part because they are also known to fail in FTOs.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
so does anyone know the right process on how to clean??

Top Bottom