If I'm changing all my calipers, do I .......

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Hey All,
Just want to know if I'm changing all 4 calipers (front and rear) do I have to do it one at a time and bleed them for each ? Or can I change all calipers at once and then start bleeding each one ?
And at a guess roughly how much fluid would I need to bleed all 4 ?
Thanks
And sorry if this has been covered couldn't find any info.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Thanks champ for the info.
Will do all at once and bleed them one by one.
Hopefully will do this within the next 3 weeks.
Cheers

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Yep. We went around the car 4 times when I changed my brake lines

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
No probz will do.
But do it a few times at once or do I need to drive it and redo again ? Sorry if that sounds stupid.

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
So I would so back left then front left then front right then back right. Then go back and do that all again 1-2 times. Then Take the car for a drive and see how they feel. They might need another 1-2 goes to get it nice and firm

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
We thought we had all the air out of mine. But when I went for a drive still felt spungy so we re bleed them another 2 times and it got a lot better

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
Yep like Gav says.
Always start at the caliper furthest from the master cylinder and work your way in.
And don't press the brake pedal further than normal travel otherwise it can tear the seals around the piston.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Yep like Gav says.
Always start at the caliper furthest from the master cylinder and work your way in.
And don't press the brake pedal further than normal travel otherwise it can tear the seals around the piston.

What do u mean by "don't press brake pedal further than normal travel" ?

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
When you press the brake pedal during normal driving, it only goes approx. 2/3rds of the way to the floor. Multiple this by a million braking events and it wears the master cylinder bore a little bit bigger inside over time.
But when you are bleeding the brakes, there is nothing stopping you from pressing the pedal all the way to the floor. So if you are pressing the pedal all the way to the floor, then this is pushing the master cylinder piston into this area that is not worn a bit bigger and it will tear the rubbers around the piston.
In summary, when bleeding the brakes, don't push the brake pedal further than it normally goes as if the brakes were normal/holding pressure. Hope this makes sense!

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Yeah, I had a feeling that's what you meant, but thought I'd ask to double check in case you meant something else, but yeah will do that. Thanks

Top Bottom