Ignition Coils..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
fellas.. how often should we replace our ignition coils? I know in my old HJ Galant it lasted for more than 300k kms..

but since our cars do get pushed around abit harder..

how often should we replace them?

are there better alternative than the OE spec?

has anyone tracked down any aftermarket brands?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You only need to bother replacing them when they start to cause problems.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Yes, when one of them starts causing a weak spark and misfiring problems on load then it's time to change the faulty coil.
Kempys sell them for $125 each or a discounted $300 for all three.

I need to purchase two next week.

You can also try a coil-pack boot service by removing the coil-packs then carefully wash and clean the silicone coil-pack boots with silicone spray.
This will help stop them from arcing out.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
hmm would they cause this to happen:

in 5th gear on the highway if i plant my foot, somewhere between 3000-4000rpm i get what feels like a missfire (wouldnt think its boost cut - its not violent and keeps going after it, but havent watched my boost)

seems to happen whenever i do it - done it twice or 3 times now

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
hmmm why were the engines designed to have coil packs at the front and I guess "leads/plugs" at the rear?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Dimi, if you're replacing your old ones.. mind if i have one of your faulty ones? i'll pay for the postage.. i'll see if my dad can source aftermarket ones..

also, looking at the FTO Coils.. would they work on ours?

G

Unregistered
Dimi, if you're replacing your old ones.. mind if i have one of your faulty ones? i'll pay for the postage.. i'll see if my dad can source aftermarket ones..

also, looking at the FTO Coils.. would they work on ours?

FTO coils are too short and round the opposite way .The intercooler piping catches on a couple of them when fitted in the first 2 plugs. I had one fitted as a temporary measure while waiting for one from RHD but had to use the extension from the VR4 coil

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Christian, that would be great if your dad can source locally that will suit on our cars. I too is having this problem.

I will send your dad this as a token of appreciation :)

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Sounds good, Chris.
I'll post one off to you in bubble wrap when I get my replacement coil from New Zealand (should be late next week).

In the mean time, if you're getting the misfiring issue, do the coil-pack service.

I did it this afternoon, and so far so good. No missing or jerking.

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
Yeah im still having shuddering issues when the car is under load. Mine is 3rd gear, i also find when i go to take off from the lights ( not hammering it or anything silly ) i feel like a clutch shudder aswell, but when i keep the revs up over 2500rpm seems to be fine :s.
I have replaced the leads and plugs, Thought the car felt better, but now its fairly noticable again.
Im not sure if the starting off shudder is maybe the clutch ?? which was replaced 7,000km ago.
Should i try coil packs?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
hmmm why were the engines designed to have coil packs at the front and I guess "leads/plugs" at the rear?

Because they run wasted spark, just like an Autronic ;)

Your slipping Brad:bigsmile:

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
If you happened to mix up the leads coming off the front coil packs to the rear spark plugs what would happen ? and can anyone tell me the sequence they should be in.

Lets say that when your looking at the motor, the left front coil pack is number one, next is two and then three.

so where does 1 go to ?
where does 2 go to ?
where does 3 go to?

cheers

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
You wouldn't get some of the rear cylinders firing properly Karl, and the car would sound like a Subaru. There is a diagram on here somewhere to show what goes where.

Simon - I'm not slipping at all, I was right! Can you imagine if mitsi put them on the rear?

karlous54

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Karl
Drive
2000 Vr4 Manuel
Found a diagram but it hadnt be fully confirmed that it was correct. But by the sounds of it i havnt cocked it up.

front left goes to = rear far right
front middle goes to = rear left
front right goes to = middle rear

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Yes, that is correct. Just checked on my spare plugs here I have left in order.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Yes i certainly can imagine what it would be like- i've changed the timing belt and water pump on this car- its very very un-user -friendly.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I know this is an old thread.. but thought I'd liven it up..

found some info from FTO Australia that one of the members there is using BOSCH HEC 716 on his 6A13TT running a haltech interceptor..

hopefully he can give me/us some more information about it..

also found out that he's got some custom made cernier cam gears made up.. again hopefully he can give us more information about it...

Top Bottom