Ignition key wont always release

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR4, Subaru B4 Legacy RS30
I am having an issue with my Legnum Super (non vr4) ignition barrel not always wanting to release the key when i park up. Typically I put the car in park and when I got to remove the key its locked and wont release. To get the key to release I have to restart the car adjust the steering wheel re-select park and it will then most often be ok. On the odd occasion its enough to just use the selector and then re-select park for the key to release. To me it feels like some sort of electronic lock that's keeping the key in place but either way its dam annoying.

My VR4 back in Aussie does not have this issue at all so i know its not the way I am turning the car off it is some other annoying issue. If anybody has any ideas let me know as I am very keen to resolve this issue with the car here. I have to say its feeling quite gutless in the engine dept compared to my VR4 ;)

Jet6a13

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Daniel
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4
I had a problem with my park release cable a little while ago that cause the same thing, you can either disconnect it on find where it's kinked (as what happened to mine)

hope this helps bud!

Balla1989

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Nick
Drive
1999 VR4 Galant and 1978 Ford XC Ute
Could it just be that you need to move the steering wheel a bit to the left or right with the engine off? Hope so.

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
it certainly seems like something like this as when i moved the gears around it comes right normally. I can hear the switch it the lock release if that makes sense when its all working correctly. When its not going to relese there is no sound and I know it wont release. I am sure its to do with the cable or switch not working correctly. I will have the disassemble it and have a look. Cheers for the input.

I had a problem with my park release cable a little while ago that cause the same thing, you can either disconnect it on find where it's kinked (as what happened to mine)

hope this helps bud!

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
For anybody else having this issue, its to do with an adjustment screw just under the changer. If its not tightened to the right amount then the key release switch wont be triggered and you wont be able to remove the key from the ignition.

Top Bottom