ignition leads

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
does anyone know the layout of the ignition leads, or more so which one goes from which coil pack to the rear bank of plugs???

(Edited) I sorted the leads out, but theres more to the story... on the weekend, i changed the plugs, and fitted ngk bkr6eix, and i had a constant missfire, i pulled the manifold off again, and 2 plus werent firing at all(still new) i re-fitted, pushing leads on firmly, and now it missfires sometimes, and all the time on full throttle, so i think my leads didn't like being disturbed, and have broken down. does anyone have the p.no for the leads, hopefully just the rears, as i don't want to know how much coil packs are worth....or does someone think a coilpack may be farked...???

Thanks for help in advance guys...
Fred.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Fred there's part numbers for both the genuine Mitsi leads and Top Gun leads in the Part Numbers Guide...

The search button is your friend ;)

G

Unregistered
if you remove your leads and there is moisture there, thats how you know if your leads are shagged.. most of the time.

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
not really joe, mine just died,.....you can measure the resistance on them, thats usually howe you tell.

G

Unregistered
Check that the manifold is on 100% as I had mine changed 5 times and finally everything started to work.
If the manifold has any leakes the car was going crazy and I kept on thinking it was the leads.
As for plugs I recommend using either the Bosh supe 4's or try the NGK tripple tip plugs which are designed for the rotary engine but work great in all turbo applications.
Plugs are a sensative issue as everyone has their favourites but I have spent a ship load on plugs in my 1991 vr4 and in the end the 3 or 4 tip plugs work best.

G

Unregistered
Did the spark plugs the other day so changed the leads while I had access. TOPGUN leads MAX6181

1207571718.jpg

1207571758.jpg

1207571884.jpg

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Just a thought too - replacement of the leads is simply due to wear and tear. Has anyone experienced problems with the coil packs in these cars? Skylines and silvias are prone to dieing coil packs and im wondering if Mitsi's suffer the same fate.

Just got a quote for the leads - $107 for the TG6181 kit (3 leads for VR4) BUT they obvoiusly aren't in stock. $20 for an air frieght to me OR I can get them in the next order in about a months time.. will probably go the next order as I wont have the car anyway.

G

Unregistered
I went with the MAX6181 and not the TG6181 as the max are better quality and have a lower resistance or something...

Got repco to order them in. cost $125 for the MAX ones then they said oh thats the wrong price but you can have them for $125.
They did not charge for ordering them in and got them within 2-4days.

Somewhere on the topgun web site it tells you the difference with the TG and MAX leads.

G

Unregistered
so how many leads do we need. ide assume 6 but $200+ is pritty steep for leads

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
having not seen it, im guessing the front 3 are individual coil packs, and the rear 3 (under the inlet manifold) are via the 3 leads from a single 3 outlet coil pack.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I went with the MAX6181 and not the TG6181 as the max are better quality and have a lower resistance or something...
Ah how frustrating, I would have gotten those if I'd known they existed. I actually spoke to a guy at Top Gun about them but he didn't even know they existed. I had to talk him through finding them using their Imports catalogue (which I'd found online somewhere).

Oh well, you live and learn. I don't expect they'll give me any problems, but for those ordering new ones, follow Emanuel's lead ;) and get the Max series ones. Shouldn't be too much extra :)

Top Bottom