Importing from New Zealand?

amulday

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Sam
Drive
1985 Toyota AE86, Chasing a Black Facelift Legnum.
Hey Guys,

Firstly, I just did a search on the forums first and nothing came up.

Was wondering about Importing a Legnum from NZ. Does it have to go through the same compliance as bringing one in from Japan? Or are NZ standards the same as Australia? (Just need to register here in Australia?).

Only want to know because flights to NZ are cheap so you could organise to look at 10+ legnums in a couple days and there are heaps of legnums over there that are pretty well priced. (Just search legnum on trademe.co.nz)

Has anybody looked into prices for shipping a car from NZ to Aus?

Thanks
Sam

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Sam, importing from NZ is exactly the same process as importing from anywhere else - a PITA. When you compare prices, NZ cars are HEAPS cheaper than Aus, but more expensive than Japan... and they've probably had a harder life carting livestock around, so pretty much everyone imports directly from Japan.

The only thing that's likely to be better about importing from NZ is the shipping might be a bit easier and cheaper, but then there are HEAPS of vehichle transports leaving from Japan to Australia all the time, so maybe not even that.

amulday

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Sam
Drive
1985 Toyota AE86, Chasing a Black Facelift Legnum.
Thanks for that Trev,

Exactly what I was wanting to know, looks like it's going to be Japan then.

Sam

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
... and they've probably had a harder life carting livestock around,

LMAO!! why dont you just say sheep Trev, you know you want too ;)

But yea, NZ has been thought about as a source of cars but as Trevor said, the price of the car there is much more than Japan, so its not worth it.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Actually shipping is dearer, the Tasman is one of the most expensive bodies of water for shipping in the world.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
I spotted the carting livestock comment too - made Coke come out my nose!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I aim to please, Kris ;) It was inspired by your sheepshifter comment to Brad the other day :p

Oh and Dion, I didn't say sheep because that was just too obvious - obvious isn't NEARLY as funny ;)

Top Bottom