importing from new zealand

G

Unregistered
G'day all, im a new member and am keen to get a Galant.

I know someone in new zealand who is moving to melbourne in the next 6 weeks who is selling a galant vr4.
My dad runs a company over there and I can get a container from him cheap, so in asking this is it worth getting the person to import the car here and then buy, or just buy it and import it myself?

Any feed back would be great, there was only one thread on importing from new zealand so I thought i'd post as my circamstances differ.

Cheers

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Dude if you can get a car under personal import allowances AND the car starts out at a similar price to you'd get in Japan, its worth doing. However if the car's had a hard life, has 200k on the clock and / or he's asking too much for it, then pass.

Strongly suggest you take a look at the DOTARS website and read up on the different forms of vehicle import procedures - all the info you need to know is there, and there are some experienced and very helpful import agents here who can help you with any further questions :)

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
I'm with stupid ^^^^ :p

Depends on what condition it's in and how much he's asking for it. Give us some more details and we'll give you a better answer.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
If he owns the car in NZ and brings it to Australia as a personal import you DON'T need to go through compliance. However personal imports have their own hoops to jump through - as suggested previously make sure you read through the information available from the old DoTaRS website on the subject and maybe even call them to ensure you understand the information thoroughly before you begin.

Or talk to Kristian (Iron Chef) as he is familiar with the regulations.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Correct me if I'm wrong (it happens occasionally) but isn't the personal import scheme only open to Australian citizens?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Jet-blk!! Dude!! it's Killbilly here! How's my old DOHC 6G72 doing???? :D

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Correct me if I'm wrong (it happens occasionally) but isn't the personal import scheme only open to Australian citizens?

It would appear NZ citizens are eligible for that scheme too. It says the following here about personal imports - not that you really want to encourage another lazy good for nothing Kiwi over to come across and go on the dole though, do you? :ROFLMAO:
http://cargoonline.com.au/rulesregulations.php

WHO CAN IMPORT A VEHICLE - Personal Import approval will only be given by the Department of Transport and Regional Services to Migrants with full residency visas, or to Australian Nationals or to New Zealand Nationals, who are of driving age in Australia. You will be required to provide proof of Australian residency by way of a passport or visa. If you are a migrant you will be required to provide proof that you have been granted Permanent Resident Status in Australia. Temporary residents and Companies are not eligible. Vehicles built prior to 1 January 1989 are exempt from the Residency requirement

G

Unregistered
hmm interesting, I wonder how costly these steps are.
It's costs 2500 for shipping I know this much so far....

Hey Paul, the car is going great. I've done 30000 kays on the motor and it's given me no trouble at all, the dohc is bullet proof
It sure loves to rev, 60 in first is a daily occurance :wanker:
Only complaint is those lifters tick like crazy at times, especially when cold, might fix em one day when I have time

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
JET-BLK! How are ya mate! I knew I recognised that tag somewhere :)

Remember the PM's going back-and-forth re: Manual KS Verada Wagons and auctions a while ago? :D

Looks like I went down a different path. Nice choice in the car however.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Hey Paul, the car is going great. I've done 30000 kays on the motor and it's given me no trouble at all, the dohc is bullet proof
It sure loves to rev, 60 in first is a daily occurance :wanker:
Only complaint is those lifters tick like crazy at times, especially when cold, might fix em one day when I have time

I used to use 10w-40 magnatec in that motor and it cured it. The only times I had it after that was on days that were under 5 degrees.

When it's all warmed up...I used to get 70 out of first, 120 out of second, 185 out of third and god knows what else...lol :D

Glad to hear it's still going well :) I'm looking forward to seeing you in a Legnum or Galant (Galants are better lol):D

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
To drag up this old thread again ;

So, are there possiblities for me to bring a car over from New Zealand ?

Has anyone on here actually done it ?

I keep having this dream of driving a car up onto a boat & sailing over the Tasman, then just driving off the boat & on to home !

Top Bottom