Install and Remove Entertainment System

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Can anyone share there experiences with removing and installing head units, speakers, amps and subs etc. Any hints, tips, traps, pitfalls, any information at all?

Information such the quickest and easiest way to remove door trim would be helpful.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
the door trim is easy, there is a screw hidden behind the door handle, and another one at the bottom of the little plastic grab handle, there are a few others around the door but they are easy to see and just unscrew.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
front & rear speakers on sedans are actually 6 3/4" so you might wanna get some wood spacers made up.. to fill up the hole..

and oh yah.. it was a b!tch to run new cables to the front doors and as well as form the battery to the cabin..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
front & rear speakers on sedans are actually 6 3/4" so you might wanna get some wood spacers made up.. to fill up the hole..
I assume the speakers in the front doors of the Legnum are the same (ie 6&3/4")?? What's the depth of the space like? What is the maximum depth a speaker could be? Does that mean standard 6" drivers go in the doors ok?

and oh yah.. it was a b!tch to run new cables to the front doors and as well as form the battery to the cabin..
Hahaha so what's new??! I've installed probably 30 or more car stereo's, and its NEVER an easy job! :(

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i've got eclipse 6 1/2 inch splits in there... and didnt have any issue..

G

Unregistered
when fitting new cable thru the rubber door tubes, i used a large plastic cable strap, cut the large knob end off. feed it thru the rubber,
and then seccured the new cable to the end and pulled it thru,
much easier than pushing the cable thru.

G

Unregistered
oh and to remove the trim around the factory stereo,
pop up the trim around the shifter first,
take out the ash tray,
put you hand in the ash trap hole and pull forward towards you,
the whole lot should just pop out,
its held in by 6 clips, two at the bottom, 2 in the middle and 2 at the top.

then unclip the ac cabin hose, and 2 wire looms at the the back of the the a/c
2 blubs come out by twisting them (ash tray and lighter lights)
and 2 clips for the lighter power and earth.

the triptronic modles will need to be pulled down to the "drive" position to get the surround off/out of the way

G

Unregistered
also dont forget to power the factory signal booster for the radio when installing an aftermarket stereo. (cant remember which wire is is sorry)

reception will be real shit if you dont.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
You're a veritable font of useful information aren't you Gly?? :)

RE signal booster, I assume working out exactly WHAT that is becomes self-evident once you take the factory head unit out?

G

Unregistered
signal booster amplifies the radio signal picked up from the in glass arials in the car.

it just needs a 12v ignition feed... (amp/aux wire or radio arial wire thats usual on the back of most aftermarket stereos will do the job nicely)

its in the loom of the original plugs that go into the back of the stereo...
theres only 2 or 3 spare if you use the all the factory wires (power/speakers etc)

i just put 12v on each one while the stereo was on, you can hear the stereo/radio sound get better/louder when you get the correct wire. (if your in a poor reception area)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hmm bad reception area over here? Oh, you must mean the metro area in general! *smacks head*

Thanks again for the useful info :)

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Yea cheers for the info Gly, seriously considering gonna buying a stereo today and installing it for something to do, or just an excuse for time to spend playing around with the car, :p

G

Unregistered
I'm new here and I just like to say thanks to all... this made putting my mrs stereo in her new car real easy! (she wrote off her old v6 mazda so I made her buy a Legnum:D)

edit: even if the drivers front speaker wasn't working due to a broken wire in the door jamb... grrr is about all I can say! (bypassed the wires with another twin-core) took about 2 hours to trace the fault due to me not driving it with the stereo on until I fitted the new/old one!

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
oh and to remove the trim around the factory stereo,
pop up the trim around the shifter first,
take out the ash tray,
put you hand in the ash trap hole and pull forward towards you,
the whole lot should just pop out,
its held in by 6 clips, two at the bottom, 2 in the middle and 2 at the top.

then unclip the ac cabin hose, and 2 wire looms at the the back of the the a/c
2 blubs come out by twisting them (ash tray and lighter lights)
and 2 clips for the lighter power and earth.

the triptronic modles will need to be pulled down to the "drive" position to get the surround off/out of the way

How hard should this be? We're giving it a bit of force and it's not popping out...

This is a facelift so is it different?

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
How hard should this be? We're giving it a bit of force and it's not popping out...

This is a facelift so is it different?

Try opening the glove box, and poking your arm around to the back of the climate control. Push firmly and the whole front centre panel will push out without damage to the clips.

:)

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
It was really tight on mine too, I ended up starting in the middle around the sunglass holder - prising with a flat head screwdriver covered in a cloth. Once the middle two clips popped the rest came easy.

Just cross your fingers and keep applying more force.

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
both pre and post facelift are the same,
somtimes the clips are pricks to pop, just use a bit of force.

if you still cant get it out....
only then use the flat head screw driver to help ease it out,

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Guys please don't attack your console with a screwdriver until after trying the technique I mentioned above. Trust me, it works. :)

Top Bottom