Installation location for wideband O2 sensor bung

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Hi folks,

I'm fitting an AEM Wideband kit and need to weld in an additional O2 sensor bung in the exhaust.

Any recommendations on a good location to weld in the bung compared to the factory O2? Some pics of your own install will help. I *could* do this myself but my welding skills are pretty rudimentary and I only have gasless wire for my MIG at the moment.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
2 - 3" before the factory one and about 5-10° opposite.. so it doesn't mess around with the factory o2 sensor

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2 - 3" before the factory one and about 5-10° opposite.. so it doesn't mess around with the factory o2 sensor
I think you're telling me that the angle of the sensor needs to be 10 degrees different (vertical angle) to the stock one, so that the two probes are not in the same flow of gas.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
And what about grommets to use. Anywhere that's recommended?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
If your normal O2 sensor is at 12oclock, any issues with having the wideband aiming straight down?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Gotta be between the high side of 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock to avoid condensation. I'd contemplate using the factory spot and emulate narrowband to ecu but that's just me.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Is that hard to do? Do you need an emulating device or something?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
@TME_Steve reckons narrowband emulators are shit. I'll take his advice.

However on my exhaust there's not a lot of space to fit another bung unless I go back towards the cat. Forward of the O2 bung right now is a flex joint.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Assumed it would be easy, using the wbO² controller feeding the ecu (narrowband emu is a stock capability for a few wbO² kits), but from further research it's apparently tricky to get right. Some say the nb emu doesn't perfectly mirror a factory sensor's stoich fluctuations, I'd still give it a shot regardless.

@TME_Steve reckons narrowband emulators are shit. I'll take his advice.

He's had more time with more brands of wb than I'll ever have, you'd be crazy not to. I'm just crazy enough to throw caution to the wind and give it a try. If it all goes south, switching back to factory isn't exactly hard.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Just put it behind the factory one a bit, but at a different angle so it's not shrouded by the factory one. As long as it's above horizontal it's OK

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
OK folks I dropped down to the local exhaust place today to have a look where a new sensor bung could go. I'm a bit stuffed; the narrowband sensor is in the only place the wideband will fit. I can't put the wideband on the other side as there's no clearance, and I can't move back because the wideband will be masked by the narrowband. I can't change the angle either because I'll hit the driveshaft if we go down, and run out of clearance if we go up.

The exhaust guy was considering right where the front and rear banks collect but I'm concerned about that location as I'm not sure about turbulence. He was also considering after the cat but I also don't know if after the cat is acceptable.

I thought I took a photo but my phone is shit and takes five seconds to allow me to take pictures. I rushed it and didn't realise it didn't take the shot.

Advice?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
I got this fitted. I found a better exhaust guy, and he cut an angle in the sensor bung so that it was able to clear the driveshaft and also be offset to the narrowband sensor.

I did not replace the O2 grommet. I just basically squeezed in the new cable and the grommet still almost seals. Will need to replace it obviously.

Top Bottom