installed some teins

G

Unregistered
last night me and my old man put my teins into the vr4. and i would have to say that it was the simplest mod ever. i was expecting it to take a little while but we did it in less than half an hour. now all i have to do is just play with the dampening force till i get it how i like it. anyway if you considering getting teins and are thinking about getting someone else to do it, just save that extra cash for another mod.

G

Unregistered
the hardest part is jacking the car up!

i've got mine to do on the weekend :)

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
your kidding it was that quick?

I spent a whole day replacing shocks and lowered springs on the gsr. Hardest part was getting some of the bolts undone! Then the next hardest thing was dealing with spring clamps!

G

Unregistered
you don't need to worry about spring clamps because it is an entire complete setup so its all put together for you, it just bolts staight in

Gooch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bob
Drive
J-Spec Vr-4 1990, 2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Great work

Hey well done, Love all cars you can DIY.

Iam in too minds so I got some questions about suspension. And please understand that I know nothing at all about cars :( so if I am talking crap just let me know! :rolleyes:

Did you get them all round or just the front?

The driveshaft at the rear of the legnums (drive the rear wheels) are they angled down, straight or up? I am concerned that if the angle changes so does the tension on the shaft ends where they connect to the main drive shaft? (like I said I have no idea). This will add additional wear to the rear wouldn't it? or would it restrict or damage the drive in anyway?

Cheers

G

Unregistered
i bought my teins from rhd japan ended up cost around 1500 for a set of 4 (inculding taxes).
im not sure if this answers your questions but i am asuming that you mean the axles which go to the rear diff if it changes angle would put strain on the rear diff??? if this is right then it wouldn't matter because you wheel already moves up and down changing the angle of the axle as you drive so i can't see how it would change anything

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Bob the if you mean the drive shaft going into the rear diff, it's (the diff) mounted directly to the body of the car, so changing the distance of the wheels to the body won't affect that at all. As for the drive shafts into the wheels themselves, those are connected with variable angle ball joints, allowing the wheels to travel up and down on the suspension as you drive along. Altering the depth of the springs (changing the ride height) is all within the normal travel range the suspension is designed for, so no it won't cause any problems :)

The only thing it will cause problems with is the camber angle - Carsten talks about that in detail in another thread. Basically once you lower the car the ANGLE of the wheels to the body of the car (and thus the ground) changes, which gives you increased inner tire wear. There are ways to adjust for that, too - you might want to do some reading before attempting serious lowering, or you may end up with a nasty surprise having to replace expensive tires rather too often!

Gooch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bob
Drive
J-Spec Vr-4 1990, 2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Excellent

Educated again cheers. Questions answered.

I will search the threads and do some more research.

Thanks very much for letting me know in a constructive way.

Cheers guys thanks.

Bob

G

Unregistered
actually lowering the car can affect diff angles.
whilst they are supposed to move up/down, etc.. if their normal position is angled down, and you lower the car enough to make them angle up, there you will wear out the shafts, and other parts rather quickly.

lowering it that much will adversely affect your handling anyway, and likely put your roll centre way below the car

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
You're talking about lowering beyond the normal travel of the suspension though, aren't you Mitch? I've never even CONSIDERED taking a car that low... It's quite involved and takes more than just a spring change to get that low anyway - usually only for show cars with adjustable suspension so they can dump it on its guts when it's sitting in a showroom, so they're not concerned with diff angle's cause the car's not moving anyway ;) Definitely worth mentioning though!

G

Unregistered
nope.. most cars can be lowered enough on coilovers to affect diff angles, i know my 33 could be lowered enough to get the half shafts pointing up instead of down, and still be somewhat 'streetable'

G

Unregistered
Here are some picks sorry didn't get any while instaling i was to excited

Attachments

• Photo-0005_000.jpg
    Photo-0005_000.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 30
  • Photo-0006_000.jpg
    Photo-0006_000.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Photo-0007_001.jpg
    Photo-0007_001.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 26
G

Unregistered
my coilovers arrive on monday :(
so no pics until next week!

G

Unregistered
i droped it about an inch from standard to give it a bit more aggresive look but i don't really want to go any lower im not much into cars droped on there guts and it makes it a pain on driveways and speed humps.

Top Bottom