Insurance: What company, and how much?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Just Cars - $16k, $1600 at fault excess, $1400 theft excess - $930 per year - annual premium payment only ( no monthly).

No multi policy discount

cheers

Lee

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hehehe I rang Suncorp this arvo and their underwriters are ringing me back tomorrow once they work out what a Legnum is :)

You'd think being motor insurers they'd keep some kind of eye on the import market...

Anyway, if we didn't have other policies with them I think they would've said no straight away - will wait and see what they come back with, but will likely go with Shannons taking the other car and contents over there as well.

cheers

Lee

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
this is pissing me off, i had spoken to shannons before there was no mention of needing to garage it at all, i now call back to talk further about getting all policies etc transfered to them, the guy "Adam" was being a total .......... and just kept reading a sheet in front of him and wasnt wanting to listen to what i had to say. i am looking for the quote tonight because he said i never got one but i know i did.

they now want it garaged but he wouldnt quote me because i said it wasnt going to be. even thou i said i could organise it to be garraged he said he couldnt quote me on that now as i had said it wouldnt be.

the house i am renting has a garage but its filled with junk and it can be removed if needed.

not leaving me a good impression of shannons i thought of ringing back and complaining because he was too abrupt about it all.

insurance sucks how can one person be quoted $1000 and be younger then another that has been quoted $1800 insurance.

G

Unregistered
Hey dude ring them back again ...
The first time I rang them I got told i wasn't a car enthusiast, I'm like "huh, I have had 2 highly modified cars that I used to drag at the quartermile regularly, I'm a moderator of a car forum ..." Then second time I spoke to someone that knew wat they were doing ...
Insurance is all speculative it seems ... different quotes come from different people u speak to. My mate got 3 quotes from SGIO within a week from 3 different people.

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
okay cool, will try again tomorrow then, the first time i spoke with someone he was the best insurance company person i had spoken too he actually seemed to care about what i was doing, talked to me about other turbo cars i had owned and own now, probably to work out if i have driven stuff like this before. and then to ring back and get this beeping idiot i got this time just pissed me off.

thanks Takumi will try again and see what happens. hey do you ever use msn ? i added you but you arent online

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
You do get different attitudes, and also catch people having a bad day as well...

Why don't you call Shannons and ask to speak to Genelle. She rocks... :)

G

Unregistered
Aww thanks guys...I do what I can....well only for one more day anyway :p Then im outta there.....( not cos of the company, just needed a change)

Takumi- You only got declined cos you were too ashamed to tell us about your nerdish collection of cars. :p

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
yep all has been sorted by genelle hopfully, the quote is sorted at under $1300 agreed value of $16,000 and excess of $500 just not sure about what the other jerk i had spoken too is doing as far as marking me as rejected. just hope this doesnt cause any problems. apparantly i am a character risk.
hey if i am a character risk what the are all the other customers ? im a church leader, have always been involved in the church and truth is my life. i dont see how i am any character risk but this Adam guy from shannons was just an idiot.

G

Unregistered
My experience so far.

26 year old male (only regular driver), 2 speeding tickets in the past 5 years, owner of a turbo RX-7 for past 2.5 years, never disqualified, no claims.

Shannon's won't touch me because I don't have a lock up garage. They said I could get an agreed value of $14k and as a side note did say you must have an Australian standard (black wired) three point immobilser fitted. I asked specifically because it's a growing trend that you need it. Even though I *actually* go, just tell them you have a BBQ with mates Bathurst weekend and you go to watch an event of V8's when it's in your area, they'd never know you're not an "enthusiast" ;)

Just Car is $1,576 on 60% no claim bonus. $1,200 basic excess plus $400 theft excess. $14k value on that too. Again, Australian standard immobiliser must be fitted.

J-Spec have some insurers on their site which I am yet to try, other importers have lists as well. $1,500 a year is better than the $4k+ I was quoted for the RX-7, even though it was only a weekend car. Even my Echo I used to own was $1,800 or something stupid because of my age at the time.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
My insurance with Shannons has been bumped up to over $800 after I removed my Triumph from the policy. :(

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
I was originally going with just cars, who quoted $1320 for a 22 y.o driver (me :p), one car theft claim in the last 3 years, no traffic infringements in that time. Excesses was extreme ($1500 for an accident, $1950 for a theft claim). The people there that took my calls did their job, but were monkeys in reality, one asked me 3 times in the same phone call how my day had been. And i was calling at 10 am :p I also swore i wouldnt go with just cars after i had to make a claim with them when my r31 was stolen.

The mob i ended up going with is Hard to place (H2P) insurance, an offshoot of RAA insurance. The premium is $1450, with $1000 excess (plus 500 age excess). Their driving history check goes back 5 yrs (not 3 like just cars) so i had to declare an accident and red light camera fine. they give you a hire car if your car is stolen (for up to 21 days) and any repairs are garanteed for life. they agreed to my valuation (15k) and covered all my mods at no extra cost.The only thing im unsure about is they expect you to do less than 20 000 kms/yr, which i doubt i will.

I think they may only insure SA people, but i think its one to keep an eye out for.

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
hey do H2P have a website or anything or do you have to go to them?

If you did where are they?

cheers

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
I wasn't enthusiastic enough for Shannon's, Just Car quoted me $1000ish, Suncorp said that IF they did agree to cover it (the underwriter had to OK it) then it would be $740. I would then have 6 policies with Suncorp though.

41yo, no claims, no fines, garaged, $1050 excess.

For comparison my Odyssey costs about $620 (Suncorp) with a $450 excess - to compare oranges with oranges, if I bumped the excess up to $900 the premium would be about $400.

All would be a tad cheaper if I went to nominated drivers etc.

G

Unregistered
For a car like this you really want a company that knows what you car is and was a BOV- cooler- etc is.... Try Shannons again... They probably wont be as cheap as suncorp but I bet the policy is more suitable...

Tell them that your on a public forum, tell them why you love your car so much and what made you buy it.. tell them all the geeky stuuf that you collect di cast models and magazines and that you go to every car show in town.... Any question they ask. BE HONEST...

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I tried suncorp and the said the wont insure a legnum. We have 6 policies with them if you count life and trauma.
Cheers
Lee

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Well, got mine re-adjusted from Shannons and it went UP $190.00!

$1260
Rating One from RACV
DEFINITELY an enthusiast
30yo, one speeding fine (broke my 11 year run, 63km/h in 60km/h zone).
29yo missus, rating one from AAMI
Garaged.
What the? Must be where I live!

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
hey do H2P have a website or anything or do you have to go to them?

If you did where are they?

cheers

nah they dont have a website. I called them up (8202 4393), they had to call me back after they worked out what a legnum vr4 was and gave me the quote and i said sign me up and my cover started there and then.

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
thats 1260 is about what mine is and i live in a town with 300 people, but thanks to Veer4 i at least have that policy

G

Unregistered
thats 1260 is about what mine is and i live in a town with 300 people, but thanks to Veer4 i at least have that policy

Hey Wes,
No more problems then? Have you insured it yet?

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
still dont have the car yet, so no i havnt but i did get a followup call just to make sure i was happy witht he quote i didnt stir things up just said yet i have it and all looks good will get it when i get my car.

thanks Again Genelle, i mean i still dont know how younger less experienced drivers can get better prices and they also live in bigger cities/towns but im cool with the quote at least i know its a reliable and good cover.

Top Bottom