Insurance: What company, and how much?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
one speeding fine (broke my 11 year run, 63km/h in 60km/h zone).
You're kidding, their equipment is barely accurate enough to cover 3km/h difference... talk about being wankers, don't they have anything better to do with their time?

I honestly don't know how you guys can manage to go so long with no fines - it seems that every time I leave my house I have cops around the corner ready to nail me for something they've made up on the spot. Addmittedly its got more than a little to do with the way I drive and the fact that I don't care that much - I just pay the fines and don't even worry about it anymore. With 50km/h speed limits, many of them not marked so you have to assume, idiots doing 10 to 20km/h UNDER the limit everywhere and cameras and cops with portable lasers everywhere you look, driving in Australia is becoming a nightmare...

And for no good reason other than political agenda. There is utterly NO evidence that shows lowered speed limits reduce the incidence of accidents and death on the road - in fact, there IS actually evidence to the contrary. Smoke, mirrors and propaganda... Traffic police should be there to improve safety and efficiency of road users, not nailing everyone for doing something that's not dangerous in any way (you would be hard pressed to convince ANYONE that 5km/h difference is actually more dangerous).

Sorry for the rant... I just get frustrated by stupidity, and the stupidity of policymakers gets me downright ropeable!! :mad:

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
I have been quoted $1882 from Shannons and $1698 from just cars.

I am 29yo and have had no infrigments in the last 5 years.

Anywhere else I should try ? These seem to be a bit pricey :(

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Jeebuz Mark, that sounds ridiculously high! If I were you I'd call them back and tell them you know other people in Australia who are paying between $1000 and $1200, with a similar age range and driving history (ie clean) and ask exactly why your's is so much higher? You might find there's something circumstantial that's pushing it up or something...

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
I did call them back (shannons) and the guy reckons that postcodes are the only determining factor in the price.

I have got a quote from Dawes Insurance for $1475.24 so I might have to go for that.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Farkoff! What BS. You should ask him to do some tests on his system to see what suburb you should move to in order to get a decent rate... then get some documentation with your name on it at an address in said suburb ;)

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
i was quoted $1604 from just cars, insurance value $17000. 28 yr old driver no insurance claims, no speeding fines, max no claim bonus. shannons won't insure me as the car will not be garaged.

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
Well I suppose I should look into getting insurance. My car arrived in Brisbane on the 2nd Oct and so is still on the wharf. When did you all get your insurance? when it arrived in Aus, or when it arrived at your door? I was thinking that it would be safer to do it sooner rather than later. Your thoughts everyone.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
In NSW the car has to rego'd & roadworthy to get insurance. There may be another type of cover for unregistered cars, but I will wait til it gets here for mine.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Isn't the car covered by insurance 'til you get it anyway?

It should be covered on the boat, then while its at the RAWS it should be covered by their workshop insurance, and if you need it transported after that should be covered by the trucking company's insurance. So you SHOULD be pretty much fine until you get it to your door, anyway :)

Can Kris or Ben clarify this?

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey Guys,

Got some quotes today for insurance; as follows:
Shannons-
Rating: One from QBE
Agreed Value: 20k
Premium - $996.58
Excess - $900 inc age excess

Just Car-
Rating: One from QBE
Agreed Value: 20k
Premium - $916.00
Excess - $750 inc age excess
$800 if vehcile is stolen.

both for Full Comp

I was very suprised with both quotes, as previously i was looking at buying a Subaru Liberty B4 (Twin Turbo Boxer Luxury Sedan) and I was quoted 2400 from Just Car.. i think we are just lucky that there are no morons with this cars yet running up the costs of insurance with there stupid driving that we see on the streets.

Lets just hope it dont happen in the future!!

Any other good company's i should be getting quotes from?

G

Unregistered
Isn't the car covered by insurance 'til you get it anyway?

It should be covered on the boat, then while its at the RAWS it should be covered by their workshop insurance, and if you need it transported after that should be covered by the trucking company's insurance. So you SHOULD be pretty much fine until you get it to your door, anyway :)

Can Kris or Ben clarify this?

it's only insured on the truck if you get it insured, the freight companys themself usually dont do insurance for cars.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hahaha Brent you've done EXTREMELY well there - we all need to move to your suburb!!! That's insane! :rolleyes:

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
As Trevor says, it must be you're post code as I'm rating 1, older, with a lesser insured vaule and could only get $1271 p/year.

Either that, or you're got it down as a non daily-driver, which apparently makes a big difference.

Lee

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Agreed. Thats a great price. Lock it in Eddie :)

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Yeah, I thought it was pretty good, its a new estate up here on the Sunshine Coast, i was stoked when I got the price.

I was actually very suprised with Just Car as they are usually rip off's....

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hmm new estate, huh? Now THAT'S a fantastic idea... Build an investment property, get your insurance changed over to the new place, bingo! halve your insurance costs! :D

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
So I'm down to a single vehicle with Shannon's - thus removing any multipolicy discount.

$856.21
$17000 agreed value
Garaged
26yr old male driver, no infringements.

Not bad. :)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Jesus...Shannons treated me like shit.

Every time I rang I got someone different, every time I told them my driving history, I was straight up and then they added that I lost my license to the previous one...so all up it said I lost it about 4 times.

The first time I rang the girl talked to a team leader and they said they would insure me as long as I hadn't had any fines since getting it back.

THEN when I finally talked to a team leader about the errors on my name, he said to fax through an RTA driving history...so I did. They would only insure me for 10k max saying I have to take the car to shannons in St Leonards to get a higher valuation...which is a crock of shit considering there's plenty of leggies insured there for far more. It's also a major pain in the arse as I live a fair distance away from there. They said I could email photos but I know it'll just end up turning into a shitfight as the people I've been talking to obviously just don't like me for some stupid reason.

AND ON MY POLICY THEY STILL HAVE MY HISTORY WRONG!?!?!?!? How hard is it to copy verbatim a fax?!!?!?

I have done nothing wrong by them, I have told the truth every time. They're charging me about 1700 for 10k worth of insurance. Fair enough driving history isn't on my side, but I'm NOT a dickhead and I don't deserve the runaround treatment I've been getting. It's just plain frggin rude.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Paul, try this mob. I got their name from the Insurance Ombudsman

DAWES MOTOR INSURANCE
shim.gif
PO Box 20
Turramurra NSW 2074

Phone 1300 188 299 Fax 1300 807 462

www.dawes.com.au

See how you go, they were cheaper than Shannons.

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
Hawkes, did they mention that the car had to be garaged? as I was refused from shannons as mine will only be in a carport, even though it will be locked behind a 1.8m high fence.

Top Bottom