Insurance: What company, and how much?

G

Unregistered
Not sure if I've replied to this thread, but I'm with Just Car, 22 year old male, no previous speeding fines or accidents and am considered rating 1. Agreed value is $16000, premium = $1236, excess = $750.

Good enough for me.

Leigh

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Paul, try this mob. I got their name from the Insurance Ombudsman

DAWES MOTOR INSURANCE
shim.gif
PO Box 20
Turramurra NSW 2074

Phone 1300 188 299 Fax 1300 807 462

www.dawes.com.au

See how you go, they were cheaper than Shannons.

Cheers I will give them a go, I've already paid my premium with shannons though, so I don't think I'll get that back after how they've been with me so far...

G

Unregistered
Cheers I will give them a go, I've already paid my premium with shannons though, so I don't think I'll get that back after how they've been with me so far...

Shannons will give a FULL refund ;)

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
I tried Shannons but was unable to get insurance through them as they won't insure a performance vehicle if it will not be fully garaged.

So I then tried Just Cars. A little better outcome.
Premium - $899
Agreed value - $18,000
Youngest driver 31 - rating 1
Cannot remember excess
All mods listed and covered.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I just tried organising my insurance with Shannons - they were all ears when getting quotes in the past, but today I told them from the start I wanted to get insurance. The guy I got was an absolute knob.

He would only do a agreed value for what I have paid for it. As in $6000fob, plus $130 battery, $3000 compliance - they wouldnt insure it for the price I paid for shipping. So all up he said the best he could do would be agreed value of $12,000. I told him thats a joke and we argued about it for a while, then he came up with $14.5k - I told him thats still not good enough, but will do providing I can get my girlfriend listed on the policy. They said they couldnt do it because she only drives an astra, and the power difference from an astra to a legnum would be too great.

What a croc of shit. Im going to call them tomorrow and use a different tact, and see how we go. I thought being a shannons customer for 4 years, and currently having another policy with them would make them pretty keen to keep me happy. I guess not. Either that, or the guy I got was having a bad day.

Genelle, now that you dont work for them, can you comment on this?

G

Unregistered
Hey,
I found that even when working there you have to get through a few noobs but on the most part they are pretty cool.
What you have to understand is that there are a lot of dishonest people out there that make it very hard for the rest of us to get good insurance. Imports still have a bad name for insurance regardless of the drivers.

I am very surprised that they did not want to help you out since you are an existing client.
How old is your girlfriend? They will want to know her experience in similar powered cars due to the risk. Especially if she is young.

And for everyone out there…. NEVER tell the price of the car on its own…. Tell the total price and just say I bought it for $$$$$ don’t say that it includes this that and the other… At the end of the day you need to be able to replace the cost of the car in an total loss situation. That includes the cost of shipping.

And if they play that card on you again ask if they take out the shipping costs that Mitsubishi or Nissan or Porsche have when they bring the cars to Australia because the dealers certainly charge you for the cost of shipping.

Simon I would definitely call back and talk to them again… I would say you spoke to someone direct in SA If you wait till say 6.30pm your time to call then you will get put through to the WA team… most who are young and drive imports and they will understand where you are coming from.

Hope that helps a little.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
RE: Previously mangled formatting, if you change the Editor Mode to text only when you're at work or whatever then you won't end up with garbled formatting nonsense, no matter what browser you're using :)

EDIT: Thanks Paul ;)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Genelle. When I talked to Shannons, I told them the total cost and then they absolutely pestered me for what I PAID for the car, stating that if I had to prove what I paid for the car and it wasn't what I said then there would be problems. I know this isn't to do with you, but I thought it interesting after reading what you just said.

I have been completely upfront with them and they REALLY jerked me around. So I'll be cancelling my policy and going to Dawes.
I just got a quote of $1190, insured for $16000, no need to show a driving record. I only dealt with one person and I did it all via email. No ringing call centres around the country and getting a different person each time.

G

Unregistered
Yeah some there are complete d*cks... but if it was their car they would want it covered for more... I had a look at the Dawes policy online... there are some really good things in their policy...but it didnt say much in terms of mods and overnight parking away from you home etc... The xs's seemed fair. What did they quote you as a basic xs.. I might get a quote and do a bit of a comparison...You can never really tell much about a company until you make a claim...which sucks!!!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Sum Insured $ 16,000.00

Premium $ 1,193.81
Fire Services Levy $ 11.94
GST $ 120.57
Stamp Duty $ 66.32
Policy Fee* $ 88.00
Total Premium $ 1,480.64

Excess $ 750.00

Third Party Property Damage $20,000,000

Oops so the total was $1480, not 1190...I misread it. Still cheaper than Shannons and covered for 6k more without having to drive the car about 2 hours thru city traffic just for them to have a look at it and no guarantee they'll raise the value.

Again, no offense to you Genelle...I wish I got you on the phone every time!

G

Unregistered
Thats not bad... what restrictions did they have with modifications?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Umm doesn't say. I'll have to call them to nut out the finer details. Would you mind letting me know what other things I should be asking them?

They do know of the current mods.

Thanks for your help!

G

Unregistered
A few of the bad things I saw was that differed to Shannons was that they only do windscreen only cover not side and rear glass. Also if you cancel your policy with them without adding a replacement vehicle they will take 15%+GST of the remaining premium.
On a plus side they will give you a hire car after the 5th day of your car being stolen or in an accident.

The things I would be looking out for is Mods cover and overnight parking.

Do they sting you much for paying by the month?
Do you get a multi vehicle discount?
Is the period of insurance 12 months? or longer?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I'll ask them these questions when I get time this week.

Thanks Genelle!

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
thanks Genelle - my girlfriend is only 2 months younger than me, and I turn 25 in a month. When asked about what she drives, I didnt realise he was asking to find out the power difference. How can you prove what she has and hasnt had experience driving with? Her astra is just a 1.8NA, but she has also driven my turbo gsr (which has an equal power to weight ratio to the legnum), dads commodore etc.

I definately want to stay with shannons, but if I get another asshole tonight at 6.30 (sa time, correct?) when I call, then I guess thats it for them. When I call, and they look up my name and stuff, will they see that I made a quote yesterday? I dont want them looking at that quote and basing it off that. I want a clean slate.

G

Unregistered
If they actually quoted you then it will still be there..asking what she drives really isnt the right question. They should have asked if she had experience in driving similar powered vehicles... just go through with it with someone else... Just explain that you have had great experience with shannons up until yesterday but you wanted to call again to discuss it and if you dont get the service and outcome you want tell them you will be taking your business elsewhere. As long as you both have a good records.. you are both of a good age to be driving imports and you have both had experience in similar cars. and the car is garaged...i dont see a problem...

Let me know how you go.... I think the guys finish up at 6pm in WA....

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
right so I called Shannons at 6.30 local time as Genelle suggested and today it was completely different, like talking to a different company! Completely different questions were asked, whole new attitude!

So I got my car insured for an agreed value of $17,000, excess of $500, my girlfriend was able to be listed without any issues, and the premium came back at $1480. Maybe $100 more than I was hoping, but overral Im happy with that.

Also got a quote with the RAA's H2P insurance- agreed value of $16,000, $750 excess, premium $1440. Anyone over 25 that drives it is covered.

G

Unregistered
Hey thats great!!! WA people rock!!! We use to have to save the unhappy customers that other ppl create.. now you know what time to call :)

Hey and with the price and your age id be happy with anything under $1500..

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Man...how come you guys get values of $16,000 etc and I get $10k but to get more I have to "Take it to the office in St Leonards" to have it inspected!? Jesus I got a serious run around...they must think I'm a dickhead or something. My WRITTEN quote was for $20k and they renigged on it!!!!

What a load of crap! That's too far and too inconvenient...I don't have time for that, plus you're all getting these values over the phone!!!

I've sent them an email expressing my disappointment with them and that I want my value adjusted.

This is nothing against you Genelle, I hope you don't take this personally. I really wish I dealt with you when you were there.

I'll let you know how I go.

Top Bottom