Intake And BOVs

G

Unregistered
no, all pods are shit without a cold airbox and intake, and a afc to tune with,
get a K&N panel filter that fits in the factory airbox instead.

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Yeah Sold, do reckon the $66 from Rocket is about the best price for a k&n panel filter? Or do you think that shopping around will be better? As in the k&n thread they quoted 10-12 weeks for delivery... Or 7-8 Weeks Air delivery for $70... 7-8 weeks???, what are they flying the Spruce Moose?

I think I'll do the normal delivery, surely that's a gross overstatement...

G

Unregistered
Does ARC make those air box type setups for vr4's with the high flow panel filter?

G

Unregistered
yes but its just like a factory box with no intake pipe or fromt half of box

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Yeah unfortunatly I have what the jap person put in, it is a mushroom like filter but I am getting a heat box build around it and front piping to direct feed cool air into it

G

Unregistered
So whats the dealio with cold air induction options available, who's running what / or has grand plans?

Any aftermarket options compatible? something like these;
http://www.car-stuff.com/coldairintake.htm

On my previous rides I had better options with some and others proved to be quite hard to get a feed without cutting some metal etc.

Is there room for reasonable diameter tubing to access somewhere near the front bar and then mount to the factory air box or a custom heat shroud/box?

If someones running a really effective CAI setup then posting up some basic schematics for us hacks to copy would be great.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Here's mine.

Quite loud !

bov.jpg

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
:eek:...Where'd you get that intake elbow...gimme gimme gimme....:D:D:D....custom...???

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
The only drawback is, its almost impossible to change the Air filter without pulling out the BOV and Elbow.

Meh, its not that often....

G

Unregistered
So at the start of this thread it says BOV may cause problems with airflow sensors.
Is there any performace benefit replacing the stock BOV with our cars?
Any quiet aftermarket BOV options? If you're not after the loud noise.

For example if you were to buy one of these (link below), could you just bolt it on where the stock one was on the lower pipe.
Can you plum back a aftermarket BOV?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TURBONETICS-...eZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

or just keep the stock one? But does the stock one leak?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
IMO, benefits of an aftermarket BOV's are.. it holds the more pressure and when you need to release some pressure, it works more accurately/faster than an old and leaky bov..

with the HKS SSQV you can have it plumbed back to your intake but you'll have to buy the adaptor separately..

if you dont like the sound i strongly suggest to get a plumb back type..

G

Unregistered
Is the HKS SSQV the only plumback type?
Does the HKS bolt on where the original one was or would it be installed like Craig's?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Is the HKS SSQV the only plumback type?
Does the HKS bolt on where the original one was or would it be installed like Craig's?

with HKS SSQV you have to buy the adaptor separately to turn it into a plumb back type.. (says it in the install manual)

also you'll need to ge the universal install adaptor

NickTee

Crunching Gears
First Name
Nick
Drive
dirty silvia
Hey guys I have a plumb back bov thats been sitting around for afew years which I meant to fit to my s13 but I never got around to it.

If I have it mounted on a hard pipe same as Nash's above I could make it plumb back to the pipe near the air flow meter that goes down towards the rear turbo? In which that pipe would have to be remade up or a small section.

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Is there any performace benefit replacing the stock BOV with our cars?
Unless the stock one is leaking, no.

Any quiet aftermarket BOV options? If you're not after the loud noise.
There are plenty of plumb back units on the market.

I've been party to a few great arguments on blow off valves with many people far more experienced that myself. Here's my understanding:

In the real world, a blow off valve wont actually make that much of a difference over having none. Not to say it doesn't...just not as big as people think. The idea is that you want to release the pressure in the inlet to allow the compressor wheel to spin freely on gear changes, therefore not having to wait as long for the turbo to spool when you get back on the accelerator. But what people forget is that when off the accelerator you've also stopped the gas flow in the exhaust which is going to slow down the turbine wheel.

It wasn't uncommon for race cars to run no BOV, and they'd actually get a boost spike on fast gear changes. As a generalisation, smaller turbos will be fine with no BOV, larger ones can possibly sustain damage. Real evidence either way is pretty scarce. Most of what people know on the issue is based on "common knowledge". How many people do you know that have had a turbo die after running no BOV? I can't think of one.

Personally I'd always go with having a BOV because there IS an advantage there, even if not huge. There's certainly no disadvantage (unless it's a vented to atmosphere on a car with a MAF of VAF)!

Top Bottom