Intake And BOVs

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
if your not looking for that VTA sound but want something better than the stock plastic one, the best to get would be the Evo 8MR with its full metal body. These can be had for $169 or so delivered from the EvoOZ forums.

Lee, is yours the same as the 8MR one? Does it have a metal body?

It's a Tomei one which is apparently a copy of the MR one (metal body). Got it for $155 delivered from a guy on EvoOz. Not sure as to the spring rate or anything but it should be fine. I'd love a VTA one but don't want the hassles of stalling and/or police attention :)

I'd love one of the GFB in-cabin adjustable ones (Stealth Pro??) but can't justify $4-500 on a BOV.

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
thats right I remember seeing that for sale, very tempted myself. That was priced around the $220 mark at first I think too, good buy!

Have you fitted it and noticed much of a difference?

Just for reference, since upping the boost I can hear the induction and stock BOV easily through 2nd and 3rd gear on mine :)

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
It's fitted (pretty simple job, you just need some vacuum hose as the factory piece it too short to connect to the small top inlet thingo) but can't say I noticed a difference. I guess it's more of a piece of mind thing.

cheers

Lee

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
if you are running more than 10 psi, you could notice a difference. I did, enough more to pop off the intake manifold pipe thing again within 2 minutes of hard driving lol. Stock boost or little over shouldn't be a difference..

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Hey guys a question???? Would a factory EVO 7 BOV be better than our factory one????

G

Unregistered
I wouldn't think so, pretty sure they are the plastic one, just like ours. The one you want is from the 8MR (and IX i think) which has the full metal construction.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Anyone have one for sale? hmmmmm

Zild

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
With the RS, you have to get the mounting flange so that you can fit it to your car. This is not included in the universal kit.
Not sure about the first one.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i used the turbosmart adaptor which was a perfect fit (i have a GReddy type RS ;)) tight fit to get the thing on, but its a simple factory replacement. you will either need to buy a recirculation kit piece ($30 at autobarn, takes a week) or buy a turbosmart plug to plug up your recirc pipe. its really quite easy to do yourself, takes <1hr including jacking and putting it back down.

edit - dont forget to screw the adjustment screw RIGHT in (only sticking out like a cm or thereabouts. otherwise you will find it is set WAY too loose and you will have problems with it..

Taraska

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Taraska
Drive
Black VR-4!!!!!!
i used the turbosmart adaptor which was a perfect fit (i have a GReddy type RS ;)) tight fit to get the thing on, but its a simple factory replacement. you will either need to buy a recirculation kit piece ($30 at autobarn, takes a week) or buy a turbosmart plug to plug up your recirc pipe. its really quite easy to do yourself, takes <1hr including jacking and putting it back down.

edit - dont forget to screw the adjustment screw RIGHT in (only sticking out like a cm or thereabouts. otherwise you will find it is set WAY too loose and you will have problems with it..
Thanks mate.

G

Unregistered
hey guys if i was to buy a turbosmart plumback bov should i buy the 34mm outlet or 38mm outlet version and would it fit in the standard position

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hmm, you really want 35mm but if those are your only choices then I would go 38mm and have a go at stretching the hoses on. Alternatively you could go 34mm and make sure the clamps are really tight :)

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
well they are the only choices listed on the turbosmart website

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
can anyone upload the sound their hks ssq bov makes please

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
:)

got HKS SSQV 2 here but never had a thought of recording the sound..

its really loud when on full boost, and subtle when on low boost..

Top Bottom