Intake And BOVs

G

Unregistered
This Ebay Store has a few items to suit the 8gen Galants and Legnums, and they ship to Australia
icon_biggrin.gif

I have purchased a HKS SSQ off them and it bolted straight up no problems, Their internet address is

http://stores.ebay.com.au/QUALIFIED-JAPANESE-PARTS

G

Unregistered
im using a Sard R2D2 BOV,
its very loud,

maybe we should upload sound files of our BOV's for people to liten to,
to help them make a choice on what they want to buy

G

Unregistered
A warning with regards to the legnum / galant and BOv and Air cleaners. These still use the Mitsubishi air flow meter units, and as such, they are very sensitive to changes. An externally venting blow off valve can create problems of over fueling and stalling as it pumps air through the air filter when it is activated, and the factory ecu does not know this and richens up the fuel curve, flooding the car.

Also different air cleaners with adapters are not all compatible and can create running rough and stalling issues as well.

Retaining a plumb back BOV is still recomended for max benefits and you can still get a good sound, and we only use the K&N oval shaped filters which are known to be 100% compatible with the MAF units on these vehicles.

I fully expect to start seeing these cars coming in like lancers nad magnas with owners who have fitted aftermarket air filters, and then coming to us and getting htem removed and refitted with the proper K&N units.

Just something that I beleive everyone should know about.

G

Unregistered
good advice there.
also if you get a good AFC, you can tune out the problems that the VTA BOV produces,

i would recommend a good AFC even on a standard car as mitsi's run very rich even at stock, and a few ponys can be gained with a tune even on a stock setup

ive had no issues with the sard r2d2 on mine.
i gets a little rich when it dumps, but no so much the car stalls,

im still using the stock air filter and panel on mine.
and when i switch to POD filters and a cold air box/intake

i have a MAPECU installed to retune the fueling so shouldnt have any issues.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Dave is right, lots of people in NZ and the UK have had problems with Pod filters and running terribly rich.As for vta bov's, it depends on the brand and model of bov as well as the setting. Some seem to cause big problems for VR-4's

G

Unregistered
This may be another price Vs quality issue, my hks valve doesn't seam to have caused any problems at all, an since owning the legnum i have never come close to/had the car do anything that has caused it to stall

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
So with what has been said in the above posts regarding certain BOVs that screw around with the VR4

does anyone know what BOVs to stay away from.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
BOV Goodness

Tell me, I guess you are bolting on after market Blow off valves mainly for the sound effects.

What does this do for Autos ? Does it have the same effect or does it sound lame ?

I've always wondered.

:D

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
I've always wondered.

:D

me too.

probably doesn't make a sound on gear changes cause the throttle doesn't shut.

I am not sure about boosting in gear and then backing off ???

G

Unregistered
Yeah you won't hear the BOV sound in an auto as often as you do in a manual, because it happens when you take your foot off the throttle. If you wanted to, you could take your foot off while accelerating haha, but that'd just be weird!

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
It does sound a little weird. But hey it might be the next really cool way of driving. hehehe

Perhaps HKS and the like might start throwing in a neck brace with their BOV's then...

:p

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Carsten had that sort of thing well sorted with his ST, it obviously didn't have a blow off valve, but it is possible to lift off during gear changes in tiptronic mode and make the car sound like a manual.

G

Unregistered
It is loud, and i haven't received any ill will from the 5-0 yet :p

I am intersted to see what other people go with, and if they are any quieter?

G

Unregistered
OK I know its prob gonna be hard to understand my sound effects in text, but does anyone know which BOV's make a ssshhh ssshhh ssshhh sound instead of one big SSSHHH, I have heard them on EVO 8 or 9 I think.

G

Unregistered
closest to a ssshhh sssh sshh sound will be the HKS SSQV,

but its also caused by compressor stall on the turbos which is bad...
this can be caused by not having any bov, or having it the spring tension to tight not letting it open properly.

G

Unregistered
THe Sick VL's wouldn't be running a bov most likly, but it does sound hot

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
How do i go about removing a BOV?? Well thats a stupid q really, i can pull it out no dramas, but how do i seal up the holes? would a couple of irrigation pipe bungs or something do temporarily?

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Spose it depends on what section of piping it is on, and how it is fixed. If it is on a flange you can plate it off, or it it is on a seperate pipe, a couple of hose clamps, a bit of pipe and a bung would do the trick.

Obviously the best way would be to get a new section of pipe made up from an exhaust shop.

In regards to the sounds, I had a HKS SSQV on my R32 and on light throttle it had the flutter, but under heavy throttle it had a high pitched whistle and whoosh. It's a good one for scaring pedestrians :)

Top Bottom