Intake "hiss" with pod filters - Anyone know much about them?

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Howdy,

One the Legnums that I'm looking at buying is fitted with a pod filter and makes a rather loud hissing sound while it's on boost. To me it sounds like a big boost leak, yet is still making stock boost pressure. I'm not talking about the usual high pitched turbo sound, it's lower, like a boost leak would normally sound. The guy selling it said that they all sound like that when fitted with a pod filter. What are your experiences?

Cheers

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
mine started doing that after fitting a new panel filter and new plugs (ryco replacement not K&n) also seems to start making that sound at around 5000rpm+ also my boost is set to 10psi

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Cool cool hopefully that is the case. I don't really want it drawing too much attention, so I'm getting the guy to refit the stock airbox. That'll be the real test.

On that topic, is the stock airbox known to be particulary restrictive? In many cases (eg most of the nissans), the stock air box flows plenty well unless you're shooting for BIG HP.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
I'm getting the guy to refit the stock airbox. That'll be the real test.

I did the exact same thing with my car.

I replaced my HKS pod with the stock airbox to get it through rego. Now it sounds boring as I loved the intake noise with the pod.

I just have to work out how to sheild the pod from the hot air and I will put it back on :D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The pods typically suck hot air in from the engine bay and sometimes mess up the MAF air flow and cause fueling problems. The stock air intake is very good

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
as brad said - the stock airbox is the way to go. no hot air being sucked in plus the pods screw with the maf.

and yes, a pod filter will make a hiss

Top Bottom