Intercooler water sprayer - rear wiper modification

G

Unregistered
Well I thought just for fun I’d see if I could use the rear window washer spray motor as an intercooler sprayer.
I’m only running stock boost so I don’t really need to use it, maybe on a hot day.

Yes it works, but every time you use it, the rear wiper wipes twice.
No holes or damage is done to the car so it can be removed very easily back to stock.
I just used some extra hose and some connectors, a check valve so it does not drip and a couple of zip ties thats about it.
Oh and a water mister which is only a cheap plastic one, a brass one would be better long term. All hidden so it looks stock.

001.jpg

011-1.jpg

016.jpg

G

Unregistered
good idea. if you dont use your rear wiper you can remove the fuse for it and then i wont wipe when you use the spray.. thats if the water pump and wiper dont run on the same fuse!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Couldnt you add another switch to operate the spray motor from a separate/parallel supply? that way no wiper, just spray?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yes Lee, if you were serious about this you'd get an aftermarket spray pump and install a switch into the dash somewhere, not just canabalise your own car :rolleyes:

Alternatively, if you wanted to get REALLY clever you could hook up a relay driven from boost pressure to operate the spray automatically at a certain boost pressure, and a gauge somewhere showing you the level of water in the reservoir ;)

G

Unregistered
Yes Lee, if you were serious about this you'd get an aftermarket spray pump and install a switch into the dash somewhere, not just canabalise your own car :rolleyes:

The car is not canabalised in any way what so ever, only thing that is changed is the outlet hose is cut then add a connector with the new hose to the intercooler where only a plastic plug is taken out so yea nothing is canabalised.

You can then just add a platic joiner to the cut hose, put the plastic plug back in and its back to stock.

As for the pump it has really good pressure.

Yes there are modules you can add to get fancy and do it properly. A switch is a good idea too. A brass sprayer is what you really want like the proper kits sell.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Sorry Emanuel, I didn't mean to suggest anything BAD by that - just the use of existing components is a form of canabilism. Wasn't suggesting you'd damaged anything or done something dodgy :)

G

Unregistered
Sorry Emanuel, I didn't mean to suggest anything BAD by that - just the use of existing components is a form of canabilism. Wasn't suggesting you'd damaged anything or done something dodgy :)
OH hehe I thought you ment I was chopping the car up :D

G

Unregistered
i think some people have done a water spray to operate when charge temps get over a certain temp or radiator coolant temps.. alot of the subi guys do it cause the TMIC..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hey guys.. since having a waterspray kit for the FMIC is a good idea..

but how about adding something like alcohol to the water? or maybe dry ice?! :D

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Or metho, that gets freakin cold... and then freakin hot if it catches fire! Err scrap that; maybe not such a good idea!:D

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Or metho, that gets freakin cold... and then freakin hot if it catches fire! Err scrap that; maybe not such a good idea!:D

welll that's what i was thinking since when sprayed and the fumes will go straight to the exhaust manifold.. fun stuff!!

G

Unregistered
ummmm.. Thats a friggin cool idea, but doesnt it spray detergent etc onto the intercooler/enginebay too? Or did you flush it first.

Even so, i could probably do without a rear washer. It would be very simple to rewire the pump to a push button switch on the dash somewhere.. or the RPM switch on the MAP2

/heads off to research intercooler sprayers :p

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
I may have missed something here, but if you have disconnected the rear squirty why do you need the rear wiper???
Just lift the little plastic cover, undo the 12mm nut and remove the wiper arm altogether. Atleast it wont mark your rear glass from wiping it dry all the time.
While on the subject if I was to bother with this mod IMO the best way to go about it would be to retro fit a sprayer of an EVO

G

Unregistered
I want to run water spray too , I asked Chiptorque whether putting metho in it is safe and they agreed that it would as long as its only less than a third is methothe rest water.

G

Unregistered
you cant put dry ice with water cause as soon as the water hits dry ice it will steam and turn in to a solid.. i have done this in surige pipe onee and it blocked the pipe in seconds. i think im going to go a seperate pump and relay switch

G

Unregistered
Dude! i am fully in your debt.. Why havent i heard about this before:)

Cost me $15nzd for some plastic 180 degree nozzles, hose, and a toggle switch (which i had already)

I unplugged the it from the wiper stalk, and did a direct 12v via the sunglass holder, did a loop with the plastic hose so it has even pressures, and mounted it to my already butchered crash bar.

Works so well, got it set up so it spray out of three nozzles at a 45 angle.

Eventually when i switch the car over to the MAP2 ECU, i'll use the Air intake temp monitoring, and spare switched output channel to make it operate only when needed. Or you could do a cheap thermostat setup if that doesnt work out.

Other than soaking all my tools and **** it works a treat!

Only problem is i'll never be able to use it, since every time it is on i laugh so hard i want to roll around on the garage floor:ROFLMAO:

You could run a seperate tank etc for meth mixes and so on, but for the sake of simply changing to fresh water for the wipers, you dont add any weight, and you get the hillariousness of being able to spray the intercooler

Update 13 001.jpg
Update 13 002.jpg
Update 13 003.jpg
Update 13 006.jpg
Update 13 005.jpg

G

Unregistered
Oh yeah, and if any NZers or CVR4 want to do the same, iv got enough nozzles and hose etc to do like three more the same. Have to sort your own switch tho.

Top Bottom