Is it risky not having a rain guard?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi Folks,

I remembered tonight (driving home in the pouring rain through big puddles!) that my car doesn't have a rain guard under the front bumper/engine.

1) Is this risky?
2) Did the series one come with a rain guard?
3) Is it worth ordering one through Mitsi?

cheers

Lee

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
probably safer you had one, even to stop debris being thrown in belts.e.t.c, don''t know if there stock on series 1, i don't have one, probably not good for a hot turbo to be covered in cold water...???

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
There have been a few people that have run through a large puddle of water and have had problems with the crank angle sensor getting wet and causing all sorts of interesting fueling problems.

Haven't heard of anything else happening though.

G

Unregistered
mine never had one, it's got the inner tyre well guards to stop water splashing from in there to the engine bay though.

my R33 didnt have the under liner, or the tyre well guards, or guards for that matter and never had a problem in 3 years, and it snow plowed through water all the time (literally with the front lip i had :p)

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Ah. i thought mine was missing but apparently it was never there :p

Just avoid splashing through big puddles i reckon ;)

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Mine is in the boot! I will have a go at putting it back on soon.

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
^^^ what leebutts said....had a look today , does't look like it ever had one...oh and mines pfl

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Hi Folks,

I remembered tonight (driving home in the pouring rain through big puddles!) that my car doesn't have a rain guard under the front bumper/engine.

1) Is this risky?
2) Did the series one come with a rain guard?
3) Is it worth ordering one through Mitsi?

cheers

Lee

dont mean to be stupid.. but what's this rain guard? where is it located at? any pics?

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
its the splash sheild under the engine , usually covering the engine oil sump.e.t.c.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
probably.. i definitely have mine.. cause whenever i service the car.. it's a bitch to take off cause of the plastic bolts/crap whatever you call them stuff.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Yeah I took mine completely off. Too much of a pain to take it off and put it back on each time I want to work underneath the car. Plus most of those stupid plastic screws were either stripped in the head or missing.

G

Unregistered
You can order this part cheaply from JapanParts.com - not much money compared to how much it would cost new from Mitsubishi.

You can also order facelift front bumpers here, and VR-4 style front twin fogs, plush a stack load of Ralliart merchandise.

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
i am one of the people that brad spoke of before getting water in crank angle sensor on my old car.

not too concerned with that happeing abagin but i am looking a making a metal shield for the oil filter. i had it on some gravel roads and it ended up with a nice dent in it!

sitting where it does on our cars i thing that that is the most important thing to keep safe!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
If you ever make up a panel for that, you'll have to make about 10! You'll sell them straight away.

Top Bottom