Issue with my AYC - undetermined error

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hey guys, i've managed to pull out the error codes out of my car...

here they are..

AYC..

ABS

do they sound right? now i gotta find out what they are

Also the way I understand it... long flashes means tens, twenty's and so on.. short flashes means ones, two, three and so on.. correct me if im wrong..

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey,

I am assuming you dont have the Traction Control or ASC systems.

For the ABS
13 is the rear right wheel sensor
14 is the rear left wheel sensor
33 is the stop lamp switch system

So I would grab down the service manual, and go through this first, as it will help with diagnosing these issues.

You can reset the codes for this by disconnecting the battery for several minutes.

Will try and find the AYC ones later.

Regards

Gavin

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
yes i dont have the TCS & ASC..

also I've just serviced my car an hour ago.. in the same time i disconnected the battery (-) terminal and as obvious.. it reset everything back to normal.. and good news..

AYC's working again.. and YES i will get a new set of wheels..

ill keep an eye on my AYC today.. and hopefully problem doesn't come back... and i will get it serviced at Neal Lowe on Wednesday.. hopefully..

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Good news, I hope the problem is all sorted.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
im ordering the wheels on monday.. hopefully it arrives on tue/wed.. too bad its not gonna make the meet on sunday..

G

Unregistered
If it conks out again, suspect your pressure switch. This is an easy and cheap part to swap. The guys over on the UK lancer register found that over time, the pump does wear (though it's still operational) and being bathed in AYC fluid (Mitsubishi SPIII ATF is commonly used now as it's 'compatible' with genuine DiaQueen AYC fluid) doesn't do the pressure switch itself much good.

If the switch is dead you'll get trouble all the time, if it's just that the pump isn't pressurising correctly, then you'll notice the fault is intermittent, but that it happens more often on hot days or when you've been giving the car some grief - Hot fluid causing a pressure drop and triggering the switch.

What we do is replace the pressure switch with an adjustable one, so that you can 'dial in' a level that allows the AYC to operate without constantly throwing a fault. This will allow a seemingly 'Dead' AYC diff to operate happily again, though it's considered a temporary solution.

But yeah, first stop is always the AYC clutch fluid and the AYC hydraulic circuit fluid - Especially if it's a fresh import. I've seen several VR-4s (including my own, rather scarily!!!) where the clutch fluid is a bit manky, but the hydraulic fluid is almost BLACK in colour!!:eek:

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Fantastic advice and info Kieran, thanks once again!

The clubvr4 members have several good articles on changing the AYC fluid.
You will need to be a member to access them.
Well that'd be fine if I could successfully register an account... been trying all week without success and they don't respond to emails :(

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
so far.. its running fine without any problems.. I had a thorough check on the AYC fluid in the boot.. fluid's good.. seems like the compliance center replaced it as well.. no burn smell, still looks new..

i'll let you guys know once i get the feeling that the issue's rising up again..

thanks to everyone again for suggesting stuff about this issue....

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Guys,

I had similar problems trying to register with CVR4 initially. It appears that the NZ guys are a bit slack with keeping on top of things. In the end I used the UK link, paid via paypal and had a registered account in a matter of minutes.

The information from there is worth the bit extra I paid by going via the UK side,.

Regards

Gavin

G

Unregistered
Well that'd be fine if I could successfully register an account... been trying all week without success and they don't respond to emails :(

/Off topic (sorry!)
That's a little disappointing. Leave it with me and I will see what I can do - What error do you experience?

Any others having registration issues?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
/Off topic (sorry!)
That's a little disappointing. Leave it with me and I will see what I can do - What error do you experience?
The following errors occurred during your registration:

• You answered the NoSpam! question incorrectly. Please reevaluate your answer or, if you found yourself unable to answer it, you can refresh for another question if the administrator has enabled multiple questions. If you find yourself repeatedly unable to answer the NoSpam! questions, please contact the forum administration.

Happens every time... Tried different option configurations, tried all uppercase and all lowercase and must have answered the NoSpam question more than 100 times now...

munkywrench

Idling at the Lights
First Name
tony
Drive
legnum VR4
fault codes

i got these out of my 96 legnum vr4:

AYC:

ABS:

ECU -constant flashing (no error codes ?)

Some of those will be the lateral and longt. G sensors which I unhooked because the AYC started engaging when I was driving slowly down the road in a straight line. (I did this because I know it throws the AYC ECU into an error mode and disables AYC, and I had my centre console out anyway. I think unhooking the longtitudinal sensor also knocks out the ABS though)

I have cleared the fault codes, and they haven't come back, the AYC is also functioning correctly now.

I'd like to keep a record of what they were though, can anyone help or point me to a list of fault codes?

G

Unregistered
Derr...... I think there was a list on CVR-4, but buggered if I can remember where!?!...

MPBVr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
Malc
Drive
1997 Vr4 Galant Type S
Hey Guys,

If it's your AYC switch playing up - RED light on when it's hot read on.
In the UK I supply a switch to replace the factory one, set @ 9 Bar (130 psig). This will extend the life of your pump as Kieran already stated. You will need a normally closed switch for all pre-facelift and normally open for post-facelift cars 2001 on. (There is a full write-up in members section CVR4)

Done a bit searching for you and this place should be able to supply a similar switch.

http://www.anzcontrols.com.au/ANZ Full Catalogue 07_files/page0009.htm

Top Bottom