Issue with my AYC - undetermined error

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hey fellas.. yep first issue ever...

here's how it began.. i was stationary for about 10 minutes, engine running and all... not revving or anything but had the A/C on...

when i started to roll/drive.. I heard a faint grinding noise at the back.. thought it was nothing so i kept driving.. keep in mind i was only rolling at around 10-20kph.. then i drove off (speed 60kph) didn't hear anything or what so ever.. when I got on to the highway.. I noticed that the red AYC light was on.. I said damn this can't be good.. so I pulled over and turned the engine/ignition off.. thinking that the error light would go away..

so i turned the ignition on again.. usual checks.. 3 AYC bars lit up as well as the red AYC.. so I drove off..

a few seconds later the red AYC light went on again... so i said this really cant be good.. so I pulled over to a servo and took off the AYC fuse.. so that its just 'off'

when i got home.. I checked the AYC reservoir and it was still full of oil and the oil is still clean.. i checked underneath the car for oil leaks but there weren't any..

so fellas who's got better experience with AYC.. I need help... calling Brad and Gly..

any inputs appreciated..

most likely i will bring it back to the dealer or contact the dealer for repairs..

rich

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
richard
Drive
ford xe 351 legnum vr4 Ford G6ET
You could try changing the ayc clutch fluid, the drain plug is the hex bolt on the diff and the fill is located at the top of the diff, reached through a hole in the sub frame. It takes .67lt of auto tranmission fluid use the mitsubishi one not just dextron 3.
My car was making a gringing sound when the ayc was working in corners so I got it changed along with all other fluids in the car. None except the engine oil and brake fluid had been changed at compliance. Now I have no grinding sounds at all, 3 bar fun all day.

DarkVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
Black FL Reganum
Team just to confirm is the AYC fluid resivour located inside the back right interior panel nearer the brake lights of the legnum? If not can someone explain what this resivour is?

Cheers team

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
that is the reservoir... tomorrow I will change the fluid.. i read somewhere in CVR4 that we can use 75w140 for the AYC diff.. since summer is already coming up.. I wanna keep oil temp low..

cross fingers that it works..

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Guys,

I am pretty sure that the AYC ECU will emit diag codes the same as the ABS, so if you do the following, it should help pinpoint a potential probem.

Turn Ignition off.
Stick a wire from pin 1 of the OBD connector to ground.
Turn ignition to On (not start)
watch the Engine, ABS, TCL and AYC indicators for flashes.
It will cycle through any error codes, Long flashes are for 10's and short are for 1's. Count them up and you have the error code.

It can be tedious to do this, because if the car is outputting multiple error codes, then you need to ensure you count each code, and go through the list a couple of times to make sure you have them right.

To assist, here is a pic of the connector (found under the drivers side dash near the centre console.

Regards
Gavin

Attachments

• LegnumOBD.JPG
    LegnumOBD.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 66

rich

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
richard
Drive
Remember there are 3 fluids to change, the atf for the ayc hydrolics which is the hard one and best left for someone who does work on evo's or mitsubishi because its hard to bleed out air bubbles without a special tool.There is the diff oil, which is easy, just normal diff oil. Then the ayc clutch fluid which also uses atf which also isn't too hard too do.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hey Christian,

EvoScan (the data logger I have) will report error codes (correct me if I'm wrong Gav) so we can check it at the meet on Sunday if it's still misbehaving.

cheers

Lee

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Christian you poor bugger this sounds like a doozie of a pickle. I hope you find a workshop that can diagnose this problem quickly and that it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg either.

On a side note, this is exactly the reason why I chose not to get the type-S.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Remember there are 3 fluids to change, the atf for the ayc hydrolics which is the hard one and best left for someone who does work on evo's or mitsubishi because its hard to bleed out air bubbles without a special tool.There is the diff oil, which is easy, just normal diff oil. Then the ayc clutch fluid which also uses atf which also isn't too hard too do.
Who IS this guy?! Every comment he's made has been extremely informative... Richard how do you know so much about Legnums??

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Christian you poor bugger this sounds like a doozie of a pickle. I hope you find a workshop that can diagnose this problem quickly and that it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg either.

On a side note, this is exactly the reason why I chose not to get the type-S.

hahahahaha

G

Unregistered
sorry ive never had any ayc issues,
best to extract the error codes,

could be anything froma faulty speed sensor, to a faulty ayc pressure sensor. possible dead ayc pump??? or just nackid fluid.

you can do the beelding of the ayc yourself, sreah around for bleeding evo4 ayc.... it can be done.. just tricky

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
what oil should i use to replace the AYC fluid? i might as well replace the rear diff oil.. whatchu reckon?

rich

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
richard
Drive
The AYC fluid and the AYC clutch fluid use mitsubishi transmission fluid. The diff uses 90 GL-5 I think, I got castrol VMX-M put in it which is for mitsubishi's.

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
If it is grinding then you need to change the fluids. I would suggest you do that, then reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery, then I'm sure your problems will be solved.Also remember your tyres are different radiuses front to rear, which can't be a very good thing for the AYC. When I put the 16" tyres that were on the ST-R onto the white VR-4, the tyre shop put them on as:FL-3mmFR-7mmRL-7mmRR-3mmThis caused the AYC bars to come on above 50kmh. I changed them so both at the front were 3mm and both at the rear were 7mm and the problem went away straight away. You really can't have mistmatched tyres from left to right, and even though mismatching them front to rear isn't as bad, it still won't be good for your AYC or Transfer Case.I know you think your wheels are ugly (as do the rest of us) if you're keeping the car, then you really want to get new wheels with new tyres all round.

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Hey Guys,

The Evoscan can only report the Engine ECU diagnostic codes. While the software has support for the ABS and AYC, the functions dont actually work, and the cables which they supply do not connect to the appropriate diag pins to get the data codes from them. (This info is based on direct emails with the writer of evoscan, and he advised me that he is yet to design a cable for them).

So like me, when the new cable is released, will probably have to buy a new one.

Regards

Gavin

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Hey Guys,

The clubvr4 members have several good articles on changing the AYC fluid.
You will need to be a member to access them.

Regards

Gavin

G

Unregistered
you need to ground pin 1?
on the obdII port,
the ayc symbol will flash out the code...
this will happen with the evo scan cables...
its not enabled in the software to read these codes, but it will flash them on the dash

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
thanks for the inputs guys.. I appreciate it.. looks like i'll be keeping the car longer..

also spoke to a guy from Neal Lowe Motorsport (forgot the guy's name) he said that he'll charge me $150 to replace the AYC oil..

hopefully that the issue is that simple.. and in the same time I will be replacing the wheels as well..

Im contemplating with the Lenso Tenzo DC5, but I was told by a guy from Tempe Tyres that the offset is 38 and it doesnt fit on the EVO's 6+ they said they've tried..

Im gonna try the local shop here in Brisbane..

gonna try Keith4Wheels, Jax, SWT & Tyrepower at Slacks Creek then some shops in the northside..

another quick question.. it wouldn't hurt if i pull out the fuse for the AYC right and keep driving it for a day right?

I'll let you guys know how I go..

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey Christian,

I had some lenso 18's in the S7 Modify back a few years ago on a focus, good solid rims, never buckled not had vibration, i bought them as a blank rim and had them enginereed to fit the stupid stud pattern on the german focus's. I had 225/35/18 tyre, apparently with the 35 profile for street it is common to get buckled or cracked wheels? but in the two years i had them, had no issues except I lost four tyres to nails in the two years :(!
Once you get a flat you dont notice until you go round a corner and it slides and then you relise that its back to the space saver till i get a tyre! i had an issue where no body stocked the tyre in melbourne and it had to be ordered in.......

Top Bottom