Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Luke
Drive
'99 FL Legnum
レグナム
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with obtaining a roadworthy based on the dark factory window tint?
Legally in Victoria, we are allowed to have 35% light allowed into the vehicle, but mine are 20%

The roadworthy tester said they could not see the 'certification label' which dark windows like this are supposed to have in order to pass the RWC..

Let me know if you guys have had any experience with this or have heard of anything related to it!

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I've been told factory tint is privacy glass or something and doesn't count as tint, I did consider that bullshit tho.

Maybe call an importer that does compliance and find out what they do?

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Show them the side of the glass and explain that it is factory and cant be removed. Alot of the European vans come from the factory like this too.

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
I thought tinting regulation only applies to the front windows and windscreen for the driver to see and control the vehicle from.
(Mine has dark privacy glass on the rear windows only, is yours the same?)
No regulation for passenger windows. Excellent example would be stretch limo's or those promotional cars that have banners on the windows, or buses.
Ask them to demonstrate in the ADR's where it states that tinting regulations apply to all the windows.... pretty sure it doesn't.

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
Another example is parents shielding kids in the back seat with those sun blocking thingy's or towels...

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
In my mind, they've been passed for federal compliance and that should overrule any state-based legislation. Plenty of new cars have factory privacy glass and have had for over a decade.

Your RWC guy is being a cock and I think you should go somewhere else.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Tell the the dude thats doing your roady to eat a dick! There is no problem with the factory tint because the front two windows are no where near as dark. If you need someone that will give you a roady let me know and ill hook you up.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
he probably just wants to fail the test and offer you a retest as a pass and pretend like you got it removed and hes doing you a favour. and if you get caught he can say well you must have had it readded after the second test... few RWC guys are doing that. or hes just dumb

RicKii``

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ricky
Drive
99 Legnum
I had a similar issue, i explained the privacy glass coding, AS3 is factory privacy glass and AS2 is normal clear glass. passed no drama after that.
also just got the VLT on the AS3 glass checked, was around 20%

iluszn

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dee
Drive
2001 Galant VR4 Type-S
you are being stooged . Privacy glass does not fall under vsi.2.. This only applies to post manufacturing tint.

As per rwc guide lines: (last paragraph and can be found in the roadworthy guide on vic roads site)

The primary vision area of the windscreen of a vehicle may be lightly tinted to achieve a light transmittance of no less than 75% if the vehicle was made after 1971, or 70% if made earlier. Tinting in the primary vision area must have been incorporated during the manufacture of the windscreen and not by coating or tint lms added afterwards.

Any tinting applied to the windows of a vehicle after it has been manufactured must comply with the requirements speci ed in VSI 2 (Window Tinting).

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
In my mind, they've been passed for federal compliance and that should overrule any state-based legislation.

You'd think so, but this isnt the case. My car got complied with tint (and was legal), but it needed to be removed for tier2 inspection in SA (identity check).

Convo when something like this:
Inspector: "tint will need to be removed"
me: "but it's legal"
Inspector: "yes but for it to get SA rego, will need to have no tint. as it has no previous registration in AU, windows need to be clear. You can put it back on after."
me: "so lemme get this straight, i have to remove it, then come back for second inspection, then after that can get it retinted with the same % tint"
inspector: "Yes"

This was one of the reasons the car failed it's inspection.

Other reasons were:
Apparent incorrect tyre placard got fitted. My car got complied with 17" wheels, so tyre placard has 3 lisitings for sizes. He'd never seen a tyre placard showing 17" so it was 'incorrect'. Still has same placard to this day.
Engine number was by one digit (7 instead of a 2)... i got new paperwork from DOTARS with new engine number, but the RAWS site still shows old engine number.

My point, there is a disconnect between federal law/adrs and what each state does.

Privacy glass is exempt and different.

lh1034

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Luke
Drive
'99 FL Legnum
レグナム
You'd think so, but this isnt the case. My car got complied with tint (and was legal), but it needed to be removed for tier2 inspection in SA (identity check).

Convo when something like this:
Inspector: "tint will need to be removed"
me: "but it's legal"
Inspector: "yes but for it to get SA rego, will need to have no tint. as it has no previous registration in AU, windows need to be clear. You can put it back on after."
me: "so lemme get this straight, i have to remove it, then come back for second inspection, then after that can get it retinted with the same % tint"
inspector: "Yes"

This was one of the reasons the car failed it's inspection.

My point, there is a disconnect between federal law/adrs and what each state does.

Privacy glass is exempt and different.
Such a stupid process!! :mad:

Top Bottom