Jap Mufflers

G

Unregistered
Hey guys

So im in the midst of setting up for a full exhaust upgrade.

Im gettin the RPW front n dump into a new 3inch magna flow cat followed by 3inch mild steel piping into a quality canon styled muffler... Yes, I know... dont rip on me for the canon I think it looks wayyyyyy better than the tray muffler... and it wont be some massive douche canon either ha

Having said that...

I think ive noticed that some of us on here have purchased say an Apexi N1 or HKS canon styled muffler for our cars.

Now, I may be s**t at metal works n the like but have you guys got a custom exhaust fitter or maybe yourselves, to weld on the jap muffler...??
Can it be done???

Cheers

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
any exhasut shop can fit it, all u need is a hiflo cat after the RPW's and pipe (maybe with resonator) after the cat to rear muffler

|====RPW's====|==CAT==|==resonator=|=========PIPE=====|===HKS muffler===|

does that answer your question?

if not, people hav fujitsubo/ kakimoto catcbacks, they are made especially for galants/legnums. but u could buy just the rear universal muffler as long as it has a 3" inlet and the exhaust shop will fit it

G

Unregistered
yeah what im doing is RPW-Magnaflow 3inch-two hotdog reso's in the pipe- then... muffler

that does answer it... and thats awesome as I had no idea that could work... I know it comes down to personal preference... but to anyone who has done this... any makes in particular that have worked rather well??

My mate is a rep for Drift in Victoria and said he could hook me up at decent price for a titanium burnt tip 3inch in, 4inch out muffler???

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
just man up and do pipe

3" with one [or two] res's and nothin else :)

G

Unregistered
hahaha a shot of concrete you reckon...

Nah i've gotta put a muffler on it...

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
im getting a stainless magnaflow muffler on tomorrow along with magnaflow cat and resonator. i can tell you how it sounds. alternatively you can ask scott (vr4 wrc) who has the same setup and millzy 88 and esemte in wa also have the same mufflers and reckon they sound awesome

G

Unregistered
Oh hey Dan

Oh really thats awesome news cuz I was a little unsure of the muffler aspect but I might just send esemte a pm on it..

cheers

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
just got home from having mine fitted. a little disappointed cause its really drony from 2-3k. its brilliant everywhere else, perfoms better, sounds great at idle and higher rpm but echos in that really important rev range cause its at cruising speeds etc.
when i bought the car it wasnt as quick as i was expecting it to be but i loved it how it was so useable as a daily, thats the only reason im a bit disappointed. i told the guy installing it that thats what i was after, just a little louder and rumblier but something thatd perform better and let out a good note when i floored it.
oh well maybe ill get used to it (if scott's wife could im sure i can!), otherwise does anyone know if a second resonator could cure this?

G

Unregistered
couldn't hurt I got a "hot dog" res fitted on a loud Silvia I had; it dumbed the decibels by not as much as I wanted at the time. So two might do the trick.

OH just a question, how much all up did they sting you?

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
950. i got quoted 2100 for cat back with high flow cat at another place :p he did a nice job

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
yeh i was quite shocked. it was obviously the receptionist or someone who called me back with the price she was quite pushy i was like thanks ill keep you in mind (thought id play nice) and she was like yeh well we use proper tig welds, proper this proper that, told me that stainless bends and piping only cost like 5 or 10 bucks per part more than mild steel etc. and wouldnt give up.
i got mine done at a place where 2 other guys from wa have been and he remembered both of them so he treated us well

G

Unregistered
yeah im getting two hot dogs on mine and esemte gave it the thumbs up when he had his done so hopefully it will turn out sweet...

im booked in for next thurs, front n dump to new magnaflow 3inch stainless, two hotdogs, and the muffler part number 14385 i think that esemte had... :)

was that the muffler you used dan?? its a straight thru race styled 3inch inlet 4 out

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
ahh im not too sure on part number i think it was just 3 inch full way through. but straight through pipe with just 'muffling' material (whatever it is) surrounding it. i can check part number in the morning. same part as scott and matt in wa. let me know how it goes with a second hotdog on, if it doesnt drone or isnt too bad ill go and get a second one fitted.

VR4 WRC

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum VR4
The Magnaflow muffler is an 18" long oval with 3" inlet/ 3" outlet centre centre.

It was the longest muffler that would fit in there to cut out some of the drone. Lukey's made a 16" muffler but it was suggested to try the 18".

Dan, we were contemplating getting the 2nd resonator put in,but we got used to the sound. It's just that the wagon resonates the sound a bit more? What sort of tip did you go with?

Scott

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I have 2 resonators in my exhaust and if you drop the entire rear section just before the diff (running with no muffler at all) it is still probably just under the dB limit. So throwing another resonator in will help.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
What sort of tip did you go with?

i got an oval one, 3 inch inlet and expands out to the oval, looks about the same as the stock tip but stainless and rolled in to the 3 inch inlet. someone at work suggested that down pipes as well will stop the droning. can anyone confirm this?
ill wait till Brett gets his done with the second resonator and if that cures it ill get that done

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I have 3" Cat back, 2 resonators, high flow cat and an Apex'i Dunk muffler 3" to 5" tip and mine is quite as :confused:

G

Unregistered
Yeah apparently the dual resonator with that muffler has a pretty sweet tone to it... im hoping it turns out well... will be sure to drop an update on my members thread

Top Bottom