jungle aka Simon // Brisvegas - QLD

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
dude we were joking about that happening at the car wash meet, have a look at Kevs wagon next time mate, he may have lifted it........he was the one who started talking about stealing one mate!! I will help you bash him........

What are ya talking about...I get 10kwatw for the increased airflow...ha ha ha

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Yes at some stage Justin, need to find some real time to get a few things done. Will probably wait until new intercooler, front pipes and maybe dumps are done.

How's your beast??

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Haven't had the time to touch it for a while now....spare time is a scare commodity these days. Some day when I have the time and some spare $ I'd like to do the intercooler and the exhaust. But that said, I'm really quite enjoying fanging it around as is. Pretty happy with ~12psi and stock everything else for now.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Changed my spark plugs tonight- been going to do it for some time. Should have done it sooner.
_UCK ME what a difference! The old NGKs had really seen better days....probably around 50000km ago. Changed them out with Iridium 7's. JESUS very crisp throttle response now, pulls like a 15 year old girl now in 5th from 60 to the limiter.
I've love to throw it on the dyno now. I reckon there's an easy 10kW from the plugs and with the boost around 12psi, its just fantastic to drive.
Need to get the AFC tuned

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hahaha that's a pretty impressive improvement Simon! Were the old pugs gapped properly? My originals didn't look too bad but were gapped at 1.1mm, WAAAY too far!

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
I would have thought 1.1mm would be standard?

Unless you're running higher boost and having trouble with the spark "blowing out", then you're better off running the wider plug gap.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I didn't measure them, there was no point really, the anodes had worn away on most of them- that said they were at least 1mm.
The new ones were around .8.
Took me around 3 hours in total- 1st time i've done it on this car. Should be almost able to halve it next time.
Broke a few things:), brittle plastic bits and the bolts for the intercooler piping (the big y piece that goes around the engine) didn't wat to go back it, so i've in so i've left them off for the moment.

I can agree with Whitehorse regarding the power increase from shit plugs to decent ones!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yea well worn anodes will do it!

I would have thought 1.1mm would be standard?

Unless you're running higher boost and having trouble with the spark "blowing out", then you're better off running the wider plug gap.
VR4's are meant to have plugs gapped at 0.8mm - there's some stuff on CVR4 about it, including a fair few testimonials of poor performance with 1.1mm gapped plugs. 6A13 non-turbo's run 1.1mm, as do all other 8th gen galants other than the VR4's. But 6A13TT's need 0.8mm gapped plugs even on stock boost.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Well, on the way to a wedding yesterday, my sister in law decided to perform a few unauthorised mods to my car.
Here are some pics. It doesn't look too bad, just a pain to get fixed now.
The door open light is on continuously, the rear hatch has a few crinkles in it and the bumper is totaled....along with the tow bar which took the majority of the hit.
Her car was lucky, the front chasis rail hit the tow-bar, here radiator was saved and the bumper has a few cuts but otherwise is and looks fine.....we came off seconds best :(

Attachments

• rear hit 4.jpg
    rear hit 4.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 17
  • rear hit1.jpg
    rear hit1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 16
  • rear hit2.jpg
    rear hit2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 15
  • rear hit3.jpg
    rear hit3.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 19

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
holy crap mate. I had a sister that did that to my car, she would be the one coming off second best! Hope you have a relatively painless time getting it sorted.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
thats not good, at least you'll know the 'other' party won't be able to run away :)

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Lucky you had the tow bar on there. Probably would have been twice the damage if that rare mod wasn't there.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
By judging the hit....the angle of the towbar...I would say the other car was red...am i correct...?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
By judging the hit....the angle of the towbar...I would say the other car was red...am i correct...?

Actually no, a stupid acqua colour.. There was a red colour on the underneath of the bumper for some reason.

Yes she's insured, not too worried about that, be interesting if they repair or replace the rear hatch....maybe i can slot a FL hatch on?

Yes, it could have been worse, and yes the tow bar took the brunt of the hit....thankfully. Not sure what the mounting points are like under the car, too busy with my dad in hospital.

I'm sure she'll be back to new in a few weeks.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Damn that's not good - why's your dad in hospital man?? Sounds like you're having a bad run lately - hopefully things will pick up soon!!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
He has having a heart valve replaced. Hes a tough old bugger 74, he can't wait to get out so he can go play golf!

Top Bottom