Just surfed in- saying hello

G

Unregistered
Hi all,

Just browsing the forums and thought I'd register.

I've got a Gp A VR4 rally car- it's an RS version, a bit of a weapon with all the good bits. Enjoying driving it, and looking forward to next season.

Been around Mitsubishi's most of my life- Evo's of various types, but the VR4 is definately the all time favourite.

I'll see you guys around. Might even post up a few of the rally dates if you guys are keen to get out into the forest for a look and see.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Welcome to the forums Jamie! :D Fantastic to hear from people pushing these cars to their limits. I'd love to hear more about the car, what you guys have done to it and what you'd LIKE to ;) And some photos would be great!! :)

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Welcome Jamie ! Where abouts in NSW are you ?

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Make yourself at home Jamie. We might have to see about sending you some stickers for that rally car of yours :p

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Welcome Jamie! A mate of mine has an HH shape VR4 as his rally car...the thing is mental!

Whereabouts in NSW are you?

G

Unregistered
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I'm near Penrith in Sydney's West.

The car is a rally car. It has a race tuned motor- all the usual bits you'd expect as per regs but through a 34mm turbo restrictor. (makes just under 200kw with a heap of torque... without restrictor it's a different story) HKS Cams, Vernier cam gears, Motec engine management with a Stack dash- antilag, rotational idle etc. Drivetrain is a Custom 5 speed Dogbox with gearcut set-up, Cusco diffs. 60mm 3 way adjustable Proflex suspension, AP Brakes- hydrualic handbrake etc. Most bits and pieces in the car have been fabricated for weight... we have it to about 1250kg.

G

Unregistered
Welcome Jamie! A mate of mine has an HH shape VR4 as his rally car...the thing is mental!

The 2 most highly modified VR4 rally cars are both in Western Sydney. We've had my one "in the family" for about 3 years now, and my good mate Scott Kuhner from Insight Motorsport and I picked up another VR4 about a year ago. The difference is mainly the drivetrain, Scott's car has Evo3 c/r G/box.

A 3rd VR4 was built by my brother for a rally competitor, and that ended up a really good thing. That was the VR4 which flew the mineshaft in Rally of Canberra earlier in the year and ended up being sold off as bits and pieces I think. Youtube "VR4 + mineshaft" if you haven't seen the footage. It's worth it.

I guess you're talking about one of these... there are a few more around but nothing like the modifcation on these 3 cars. Scott's VR4 is up for sale I believe if anyone wants to go rallying... he has moved to an Evo5.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
my good mate Scott Kuhner from Insight Motorsport and I picked up another VR4 about a year ago. The difference is mainly the drivetrain, Scott's car has Evo3 c/r G/box.

Was this car from Nowra ? A guy I know has gotten out of rallying and this sounds like his car. He was pretty impressed when I showed him the pictures of my Legnum :D

G

Unregistered
Just watch that mineshaft crash on you tube......... holy crap!!!!!!.....
the car was already airborne before the hill............. did he do it on purpose?or were his pace notes really bad?

G

Unregistered
Yeah Scott's car came from Nowra, but the guy who had it (Cam) only did one event in it. It was a Victorian car, built origanally for George Fury in the late 80's.

Mineshaft... It's a tricky bit of road. You need to go over the top at less than 80kph or it gets nasty. The thing is... it feels really slow in a rally car. If you think you are going the right speed, you are probably going too fast. It was the second stage, The driver Peter, was seeded about 35 but was 11th fastest on SS1... a bit hyped up and the result was the crash I guess.

So the answer is... he kinda did it on purpose. He intended to attack it. If you watch from the left you can see the "FL knuckle" break on landing. Can't blame it really...

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Yeah Scott's car came from Nowra, but the guy who had it (Cam) only did one event in it. It was a Victorian car, built origanally for George Fury in the late 80's.

Yep, thats the guy. I know he pumped a fair bit of money into rallying (and VR-4's) over the years :)

Top Bottom