Keyless Entry Keys...

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey Guys,

If you need a spare keyless entry key because the one you get with it is dodgy, is it possible to purchase them in aus and get them cut or something?

Anyone had any experiences?

Cheers,
Brent

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
You SHOULD be able to get a new key from Mitsubishi. Part number is MR238201. You'll need to provide your chassis number and I'm not sure how they'll code the key to your car etc. but I'm sure you can find out. Try to give them a call and ask for their parts division.

Mitsubishi Australia's head office number is (07) 3844 3599
The QLD regional office number is 1300 131 211.

Let us know how you go! :)

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Thanks Trevor,

Ill wait till i get the car... The key didnt seem to work at all... so i dont know if they have the codes for the chassis... fingers crossed! If not guees I will just have to get an alarm asap... but i hate keys haha Use to the outlander now and it has a remote key with keyless ignition!

Regards,
Brent

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
I might give my local parts center a call, as i think my car comes with only one key.

Ill let everyone know a price if i can get one.

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Another option is to Cut the key and install a imobiliser with central locking... I did this recently and all it cost was $211 - $199 for the imobiliser/CL fitted and $12 for a key cut...

Kills 2 birds with the same stone...

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Guys,

I did price the key from Mitsubishi for my 1997 PreFacelift Legnum.

Be sitting down.

They were quoting over $200 for the key blank. (Cant remember the exact price, but it may have been closer to $300. Whichever, far more than it is really worth)
So unless you specifically want an additional Legnum key, with the remote a new car alarm with central locking links would be a cheaper option.

Regards
Gavin

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Oh Good Lord.

I was wondering the same thing since my one and only key doesn't have the electronic shebang to get it open. The car has central locking, sure, but it can't be used by the key.

Will definitely be going the after-market immobiliser/alarm/central and then get some rear door handles to mod the front.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
A question to ponder. If you lived in Japan and owned one of these cars, who would you go to for parts?

For example, I own a standard Magna and live in Perth - I can go to a Mitsi dealership for genuine parts and a genuine rip-off price, I can go to Amcap, the Mitsi parts distributor for gen parts and the cheapest (trade) price I'll get in the state, or I could go to Coventry's, Repco or Veale's for aftermarket parts, in descending price order.

So if I was living in Japan, what would my options be? Who is the Mitsi parts distributor there, for the cheapest genuine parts? Who sells aftermarket parts (and I don't mean performance parts, I just mean aftermarket replacement parts like we can get here for just about any part for local cars)?

If we can find these places, I know a couple of people over there (as do a number of us, I'm sure) so even if they don't ship to Australia I'm sure we can save a heap of money by getting people we know to help us out. Its just a matter of working out where to go...

Paul (Takumi) got some stuff from such a place in Japan, but can't find the receipt. He thinks its called Japan AutoDirect, but searching for them hasn't gotten me anywhere - only car dealers and importers, no parts places.

I've been trying to find a place like this for months now, without success. Any help or insight any of you guys might have would be extremely appreciated.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
people in Japan don't do that really, they buy the most expensive stuff possible! Look at all of the super expensive HKS, TEIN, Greddy, etc etc parts they put on their cars.

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
Hey Guys,

I did price the key from Mitsubishi for my 1997 PreFacelift Legnum.

Be sitting down.

They were quoting over $200 for the key blank. (Cant remember the exact price, but it may have been closer to $300. Whichever, far more than it is really worth)
So unless you specifically want an additional Legnum key, with the remote a new car alarm with central locking links would be a cheaper option.

Regards
Gavin

OMG thats worse than robbery.

I think ill be getting a blank key from a locksmith and an alarm instead :D

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
hey guys,

I just got a key cut from a locksmith but he wasnt sure if the stock key had a chip that had been coded to the car?

Does anyone know if the stock keys are coded to the car? also will using a key that doesnt have the code screw anything up?

G

Unregistered
its not a coded key,
just a normal one.

so a normal cut key will be fine.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
I had a normal key cut as a spare but would like a new mitsy one one day. It works fine but the guy at the key place was freaking out that there would be a code and that using a normal key would kill the car. If only people like that would listen when we tell them that we know code was removed at compliance... *sigh*

G

Unregistered
our cars never had coded keys full stop...

mitsi from factory supplied 3 keys with the 8G,

one with remote central locking (and window up down on the facelifts)
one cut key with rubber grip end,
one plain cut key, all metal, no rubber grip,

none coded/chipped,
mitsi have only recently started using coded keys recently.

after 2002, maybe a bit later, not 100% on that one.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Hmm... on my compliance paper work it states that one of the things modified was the key! Bastards! :p

I'm guessing it's a common document for most imports.

G

Unregistered
If your keyless entry isn't working and you can get another mitsi key they are easy to programme to unlock your car. I did it on mine. Not sure how it would work across models i got another key from a galant at pickapart.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
^Matt can you elaborate on how to program the key? I pulled my key apart last night and the electronics are stuffed (button is stuck won't budge) so if I got the electronics from another key I can make it work ;)

Cheers
Lee

Top Bottom