Laptop overheats playing Minecraft

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
My laptop runs Minecraft smoothly with no lag. However, after about 10 minutes it overheats and shuts down. Minecraft is the ONLY thing that has ever caused this. I took the laptop apart and cleaned all the dust out of the air path, vents, fan, etc. and it only stopped dying for a couple of days. I'm not keen to repeat the cleaning process every week, as it took forever. Laptop is a Dell Vostro, Core i5 M20, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 310M graphics card.

Is there anything that can be done, or am I (or more commonly, my son's friends when they come over) destined to play Minecraft in 10-minute sessions?

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Have you fiddled with the Java memory settings? Running a texture pack or mods?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Get some sort of stand for the laptop to sit on around 3 edges (or 4 corners), something that lets more air flow underneath.
On mine I used a single layer of k-nex (remember those?...) to prop it up when playing minecraft.

Minecraft is a great game and made really well, but its graphics are poorly optimised and use way more processing power than it needs to.

Sleepyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew Reddel
Drive
1997 Vr4 Legnum
I started playing minecraft yesterday and that game has gotten my watercooled cpy the hotest its ever been bar stability testing.

As Pretzil said for something with such bad graphics its very poorly optimized.

You could get a stand with some fans in it to help cool the laptop.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Well... I installed Forge and Optifine and tweaked the settings to make it a little less demanding... played for 45 minutes and no crashes :)
Temp seemed to hover around 70-80 when idling is about 40.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Pretty much what they said, beat me to it :)

Also, you play private lan or on a server? I mainly hang out on the GamesOnNet server :)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
As Pretzil said for something with such bad graphics its very poorly optimized.

The graphics are purposely 'bad' in terms of appearance, but the geometry isn't. There is some serious math taking place in that game.

It needs a fair bit of GPU grunt to run.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
Pretty much what they said, beat me to it :)

Also, you play private lan or on a server? I mainly hang out on the GamesOnNet server :)

Just our private LAN, when my son nags me enough to play with him.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
So, I made this:

cooling.jpg

And it works! The fan sits right under the CPU intake and the cutout in the middle is for the RAM vents. Powered from a USB port.

Max temp now when playing Minecraft is around 50 degrees. The fan is kinda loud though. Idle is 10 degrees cooler too.

Unfortunately now Alex has discovered Cube World, which still kills my laptop even with the cooler running... lol

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Oh wow, that is impressive, I have an even older Vostro than you, they are certainly not Lap-Tops, you have to get a heap of air flowing underneath them, crotch scorchers if you put them on your lap.

Top Bottom