Legnum audio install pics

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Hi guys,

Im not entirely sure what type of audio install I will be doing to my Legnum, but the number 1 thing is to keep it practical. I dont want to have a big box in the boot that I have to move each time I need to put crap in the back.

I have 2X12" clarion subs that I bought quite cheeply ($50 each!). I was thinking about the possibility of integrating these into the floor of the boot, and put grills over the top so I can still load up the boot. Would this work? I have briefly looked at the boots of legnums and they seem quite deep, even with the spare tyre in. Would also prefer to be able to keep the spare in there (now I know im probably asking too much!).

Ive also thought of the idea of building sub boxes into the rear corners of the car, in between the each wheel arch and the hatch - but i dont think this space would be big enough for 12".

Have people got any photos of what they have done or have seen?

Also wondering what size rear speakers legnum have in the rear doors? I have a set of 6x9's but I cant see how they would fit into a door.

So the reason I have posted this in the photos section is I want to see heaps of photos of practical audio installs in legnums. if this is more of an audio topic, then mods, by all means, move it.

Cheers!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I would use the corner pocket on the left, but on the right you need to get access to the AYC point, so it might be best to make sure they are easily removable. Doubt you'd get 12" subs in there anyway!There is about 100mm of room between the boot floor and the spare, so you've got plenty of room to put them in there.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I would use the corner pocket on the left, but on the right you need to get access to the AYC point, so it might be best to make sure they are easily removable. Doubt you'd get 12" subs in there anyway!There is about 100mm of room between the boot floor and the spare, so you've got plenty of room to put them in there.

ok so your saying if i remove the spare, then there will be plenty of room? 100mm wouldnt be enough though - sure it might fit, but you need more open space dont you for the bass to work?

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
You will need to put the subs in a decent size box. If you dont mind removing them, just build a rectangular box and point your two subs at the back window.

You can make the box easy to remove and use some quick connects on the wires for when you want to take it out.

I had a big stereo in my CB Lancer GSR, the spare wheel was tossed and the wheel well was fibreglassed and a box was made into the false floor.

lancer.jpg

It's the middle picture ^

I also had covers to hide the subs and amps so you couldn't see them (they are leaning to the sides in the picture) I wouldn't recomend this set up as it is a lot of work (and you cant carry a spare)

Keep it simple :) although I won a few trophies with that install :D

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Gilly, subs are all about moving air. Part of this includes vibration, resonance and the shape of your enclosure. There are a few speaker enclosure calculators out there that should be able to help you get an idea just how much room you will need. But for 12" subs you'll need a fair bit of space...

Also ensure that your speaker enclosure is SEALED. A ported sub box will require a LOT more space than a sealed enclosure. A sub bolted into the floor with unsealed space behind it will sound... pretty horrible - it won't move much air and therefore won't sound much like a sub at all.

There are a couple of manufacturer's now making 'shallow' subs for environments lacking in space, which you also might like to take a look at. I know you already have a couple of subs yourself, but to be honest you want something that's possibly going to be difficult to achieve, so its best to look at your options as to what might be the best way to achieve it.

Do you have any idea what amps you're going to use to power it? Have you thought about where you're going to put these?

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
haha to be honest i havent given the whole thing a huge amount of thought - simply because I dont have my car yet to look into spaces etc.

I doubt I will be going for a twin sub install - just bought 2 coz they were cheap! So yeh, at this stage just keen to see what other people have done with their legnums.

Something like what hawks has done might be an option, im keen to do a bit of fibreglassing. And the only time its important to have a spare tyre is when you go out of the city, which can easily be chucked in the back.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
And the only time its important to have a spare tyre is when you go out of the city
Hmm, I've blown a few tires just from unforseen things like nails or metal on the road, and let me tell you being able to swap a spare on in five minutes when you're in a hurry is a WHOLE lot better than waiting an hour for the RAC... or needing to organise a tow! >.< Driving around without a spare is a gamble I sure wouldn't be willing to take... But then, I'm not you, am I? ;)

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
waiting an hour isnt exactly that long! if i need to be somewhere urgently im never too far from home! Ive never needed a spare before while on the road in the city (actually just once, but I was parked at work).

Anyways, heres an example of putting a 10" sub in the side area - not sure that a 12" would fit there.

sub_box1.JPG

sub_amp1.JPG

So im now leaning towards building a regular box, and mounting the amp onto the box, so that its dead easy to remove it when i need to load up the car with stuff. But yeh, Im definately not putting in 2X12" subs, i just bought 2 coz they were dirt cheap!

G

Unregistered
you should never mount an amp directly on a sub box,

the vibrations can/will cause cracking in the solder joints,
leading to a faulty amp....

do it once... do it big :p

15" digital design sub, duel 2 ohm coils (wired for 1 ohm load)
Power Handling RMS/Peak 1200/4800

custom 40Hz Slot port tuned box,

running of a Caliber CA2000D+ amp
1250RMS at 1ohm

nice and loud

Attachments

• DSC01478 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01478 (Medium).JPG
    82 KB · Views: 100

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
So im now leaning towards building a regular box, and mounting the amp onto the box, so that its dead easy to remove it when i need to load up the car with stuff.
I've got a similar setup to this in my Magna, although it takes a little more effort than I'd like to swap out (takes about five minutes to take out, and ten to put back in with an allen key. Its a fiddly job with very little wiggle-room :() - I want quick-release, damnit!

I intend to build a single 12" box with a pair of 7x10's on the sides for the Legnum. I'll probably have the back seats folded down most of the time, but I'd like some kind of quick-release mounting mechanism for holding the box in place for when I need the seats up - thinking clips that I'll install on the back of the seats and in the boot area, so I can lock it into either space as necessary.

Because I'll be using pretty massive amps, I won't be able to mount them on the back of the box this time - they'll have to go under the seats or something, with all the cables bundled together with flexitube so I can easily move the box forward or aft. That kinda works better anyway, as I'll be using zero gauge cabling to the amps and I'd prefer not to have those moving around or exposed... :eek:

EDIT: Carsten not all of us can afford to lose that much boot space ;)

What have you got for mid-low range? That 15 is going to dislike stuff above 60Hz quite a bit...

And how come you're running the amp and sub at 1Ω? Frequency response and clarity are far superior at 4Ω... unless you're trying to win sound-offs *shrugs*

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
do it once... do it big :p

15" digital design sub, duel 2 ohm coils (wired for 1 ohm load)
Power Handling RMS/Peak 1200/4800

custom 40Hz Slot port tuned box,

does that box sit in front of where the spare tyre/tray thing folds up?
Nothing worse than a sub box that holds the floor down meaning no access.

G

Unregistered
does that box sit in front of where the spare tyre/tray thing folds up?
Nothing worse than a sub box that holds the floor down meaning no access.

ive customised the spare wheel well...
no plastic tray

full sized 16" evo4 wheel,

and ive made a new bit of floor in front of the sub box...
lifts out of the way.

and can get tyre out if i need to....

also IF i need to use the whole boot, take out the sub box (4 cables to undo)
flick the breaker for the sub amp, put the original floor back in.

these are pics from my 25ST, but its the same setup thats now in my VR4

Attachments

• dd3515-1.JPG
    dd3515-1.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 96

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Yeah Carsten has a good setup, just remove the sub and the small part of the boot floor that he has cut up, and put in the other boot floor he has, but I doubt many aussies will be able to get hold of two boot floors!

Top Bottom