Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Birth of Gen 8 - series 1 - EC5W & EC5A

EC5W & EC5A Series 1, production facts, figures and personal assumption from ASA research…

I got a request for ASA info from a member for data on their legnum, the VIN # they supplied was a very early VIN # in the low EC5W00010??.

As a result of data that ASA produced, it got me thinking and during a flight back from the Gold Coast yesterday, so I started researching ASA database for build info on the EC5W series 1 & EC5A series 1 production runs.

So I’ll break what I’ve found into 2 parts:

Part 1 EC5W production;

Part 2 EC5A production;

Part 3 SUPER VR4 production;

Part 1 EC5W Legnum Production.

Well out of this, a few questions came to mind, this was my pop quiz.

What VIN# was the first Legnum in the production run?
What Legnum model was built first….ST….ST-R….VR4?
When was the first Legnum actually produced?
What colour was the first Legnum
Which came first, the Tiptronic or the 5-Speed Manual?
What trivial data would become apparent from this search of production data?

There was an initial run of 10 Legnum’s which started production somewhere around the 10th of June 1996, Production started with VIN#0000100.
Every one of them was a VR4.
The first Legnum was Hamilton Silver Tiptronic optioned with Red Leather and Moonroof. In fact the first 5 Legnums were Hamilton Silver Tiptronic’s, all with moonroofs but varying trim levels.
VIN#0000106 was a Tiptronic in Pyreness Black with moonroof
VIN#0000107 & 108 were Tiptronic with no moonroof & weird colour coding J9HB (which turned out to be a two tone Black(P) & Dark Grey(P)
VIN#0000109 was Pyreness Black with Sunroof and the first 5 speed Manual Transmission

After the initial run, which I assume was their prototype run for sorting out the assembly line, production stopped.

On or about the 10th of July 1996 production ramped up with a run of 2.5litre 4WD ST 4speed auto legnums, everyone of them was painted Miester Blue equipped with sunroof (not moonroof) with varying internal trimming VIN#’s 0000110 – 0000249.

Then VIN#0000250 is another VR4 tiptronic with another weird colour coding RA2B (which turned out to be a two tone Red(M) & Light Grey(P), it also had a option code of which I haven’t seen before JHE (Anyone know what this is??) but this also throws a strange build date 30th July 1996….. Me thinks maybe all these first VR4’s may have been partially hand assembled off to side of production line while they worked out how to incorporate VR4 production on the line……….

During the run of the next 1250 legnums, 4 more VR4’s were snuck into the production line, remembering this was July 1996, and guess what??? They were all 2.5litre 4WD 4speed Auto Legnums, painted Miester Blue!!!!!!!!!!!

OK have I pricked your interest?????

Guys I need your help,

What do I need…………………….. Any member with an Legnum or Galant, that’s different from the norm, IE a , a ST-R, a SUPER>> or a VR4 that has different Interior Trim, leather, Recaro’s or is a winter spec model, COTY interior, or a sunroof or a moonroof or enkei wheels, basically anything that was factory optioned, I’d really like to hear from you.

Via PM, list your
Body Variant
Last 7 digits of your VIN
Colour
Interior
And additional options.

From this information I’ll be able to then identify what the CODE’s actually are that ASA database throws up, if ASA delivers any unusual results I’ll PM you and let you know any usual information related to your car……….

Once the research is completed I’ll post a Legnum/Galant production information resource, here for general comment and kicking round, once we've completed the back end of Wiki, this document will be added as a Wiki resource ….

Kat

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Added page 1of85 Galant Data PDF

Part 2 EC5A Galant Production.

Well out of this Search, a few curly ones came to light, this was my pop quiz.

What VIN# was the first Galant / Aspire in the production run?
What Galant Type was built first….Type S or Type V
When was the first Galant actually produced?
What colour was the first Galant
Which came first, the Tiptronic or the 5-Speed Manual?
What trivial data would become apparent from this search of production data?

There was an initial run of 10 Galant proto types, which started production somewhere around the 3rd of July 1996, Production started with VIN#EC5A0000100.

Every one of them was a VR4, Aspire production did not commence till Oct 96.
The first Galant was Hamilton Silver 5Speed Manual Type V with Sunroof.
The first Galant S Type produced VIN# 0000104 and was Trigger Mauve Tiptronic with Beige Leather Seats, more importantly it was also the First Galant or Legnum equipped with Side Air-Bags.
There were 11 Galant’s built during the first 10 production Period – 7 V Type’s and 4 S’Types.

During the 2nd 10 day period of production 12 further Galants were produced, including 1 Two Tone Galant produced (Black/Grey) VIN# 0000122 S Type Tiptronic with Side Airbags and Beige Leather Seats, it was pulled off the line and completed in the 3rd 10 production though.

During the 3rd 10 day period of production 23 further Galants were produced, the vast majority of which were Hamilton Silver V Type’s with standard trim.

During the 1st 10 day period of production in August 10 further Galants were produced, the vast majority of which were Hamilton Silver V Type’s with standard trim.

During the 2nd 10 day period of production in August only 1 Galants produced on the line being Trigger Mauve V Type’s 5 Speed Manual with standard trim. VIN# 0000157

I’m assuming that the production stopped while they implemented changes to the production line from what they’d learnt because after this point production skyrocketed to 125 Galant’s per 10 day production period, from the start of the 3rd 10 Day production period in August 1996.

OK, have I pricked the VR4 Galant Owner’s interest with this?????

Guys I need your help,

What do I need…………………….. Any member with an Legnum or Galant, that’s different from the norm, IE a Galant SUPER>> or a VR4 that has different Interior Trim, leather, Recaro’s or is a winter spec model, COTY interior, or a sunroof or a moonroof or enkei wheels, basically anything that was factory optioned, I’d really like to hear from you.
Via PM, list your
Body Variant
Last 7 digits of your VIN
Colour
Interior
And additional options.

From this information I’ll be able to then identify what the CODE’s actually are that ASA database throws up, if ASA delivers any unusual results I’ll PM you and let you know any usual information related to your car……….
Once the research is completed I’ll post a Legnum/Galant production information resource….
Kat

Attachments

• EC5A Build Data Page 1 of 85.pdf
    10 KB · Views: 125

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Production Info on Super VR4's

OK, research is done, time to blow apart the fallacies that surround the Super Legnum & Galant VR4's

Did the make 800 or 400 Super Vr4's?
How many Super Galants did they make?
How many Super Legnums did they make?
How many Red Super Galants did they make?
How many Silver Super Galants did they make?
How many Red Super Legnums did they make?
How many Silver Super Legnums did they make?
Were they all made in one batch or were there several production runs?
Is it true that they made to Supers to get rid of the let over Series 1 bodies prior to production of the the Series 2's

OK.

EC5A Super Galant VIN# range from 0100291 to 0100630 if yours doesn't fall in this ranges its NOT a SUPER

EC5W Super Legnum VIN# range from 5101209 to 5102547 if yours doesn't fall in this ranges its NOT a SUPER

400 or 800, actually neither answer is right, in total there were only 369 Supers Produced thats it.

There were 84 Super Galants produced in total.
The First Super Galant was Red and the Last Super Galant was also Red
There were 283 Super Legnums produced in total.
The First Super Legnum was Silver and the Last Super Legnum was also Silver

There were 18 Red Super Galants produced.
There were 67 Silver Super Galants produced.
There was 2 distinct production runs, the first run of 78 Super Galants Started in the Last week of Nov97 and was completed in the last week Dec97
The Second production run of 6 Super Galants ran during the last week of March 98.

There were 28 Red Super Legnums produced.
There were 256 Silver Super Legnums produced.

There was 2 distinct production runs, the first run of 280 Super Legnums Started in the Last week of Nov97 and was completed in the 3rd week Dec97
The Second production run of 3 Super Legnums ran during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of March 98.

After searching ASA further, I believe its a fallacy to promote the idea that they used the Supers to get rid of Series 1 body shells, as there was a further 4 months of production, producing a further 2286-Galants and 5185-Legnums in varying series 1 configuration's; Galant VR4 / Aspires / Legnum ST / Legnum ST-R & Legnum VR4's.

To everyone thats supplied Data so far, thanks.

But I still need more..... I want, I want, I want "typical female"

Any members with COTY Edition - "Car of the Year" Legnums, I need your details.........pretty please

Kat

UPDATE:

Further investigation of ASA also disproves the rumour that the Super's was the test platform for the Series 2 ECU's. Even the second production run of each variant (EC5A & EC5W) only received the 191Kw ECU's.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
The chassis number of the first Galant I owned (now owned by another member on here, although I've forgotten his username) was EC5A-0000112. I'd safely bet on that being the earliest Galant you'll find. Manual, Trigger Mauve, no other factory options.

The Supers were designed to stimulate sales ahead of the release of the series two, and to combat the release of the new generation Subaru Legacy.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
The chassis number of the first Galant I owned (now owned by another member on here, although I've forgotten his username) was EC5A-0000112. I'd safely bet on that being the earliest Galant you'll find. Manual, Trigger Mauve, no other factory options.

EC5A0000112, 2nd 10 day build period Jul-96, SNGF, 000, T08C, 14X, Trigger Mauve, Type V, 5 Speed Man

Well it does have some interest Kristian, being the first Galant produced after the Prototype Run of 11 cars, certainly the earliest produced known Galant in OZ.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Hmmmm..... perhaps I should have bought that Red Super Galant that was for sale in QLD...

For rarity's sake :D

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
hey christian, u should put yours up being green and all

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
theres always the 17 others lol

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
Thanks for the reply Kat, Just looked at the pdf.
Wow me galant's 2nd 10 day period number 115....old skool... so being hand assemble/made, is that good or bad? Origami style :LOL:
Wife doesnt like the idea! har har.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
I'd like to think, it means it was assembled with care, I'm pretty sure they would have been in psycho mode about build quality of the originals while they were getting there workforce up to speed on assembly process.....

To be only producing 10 Cars off the line in a 10day build period would certainly suggest they were taking they're time...... Hopefully it doesn't equate to problems on the line......

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Sorry, this has been on the back burner Brad whilst doing other research, I'll PM you later tonight once I've got this other stuff out of the way and had a chance to revisit your supers VIN

Vstar_83

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matthew
Drive
96 Gen 8 VR4 Galant
My vin is EC5A 0000642 it has a moon roof and is trigger. Hopefully you're still finding out info on peoples cars :)

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
As the last post date in 2009 suggests Kat's not been around for a while...

dugin

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Mike
Drive
Lexus RX450h & Galant EA 2.0/AT
In total there were only 369 Supers Produced thats it.

There were 84 Super Galants produced in total.
The First Super Galant was Red and the Last Super Galant was also Red
There were 283 Super Legnums produced in total.
The First Super Legnum was Silver and the Last Super Legnum was also Silver

84 + 283 = 367 Supers Produced

There were 18 Red Super Galants produced.
There were 67 Silver Super Galants produced.

There was 2 distinct production runs, the first run of 78 Super Galants Started in the Last week of Nov97 and was completed in the last week Dec97
The Second production run of 6 Super Galants ran during the last week of March 98.

17+67=84 -> 17 Red Super Galants produced
78+6=84

There were 28 Red Super Legnums produced.
There were 256 Silver Super Legnums produced.

There was 2 distinct production runs, the first run of 280 Super Legnums Started in the Last week of Nov97 and was completed in the 3rd week Dec97
The Second production run of 3 Super Legnums ran during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of March 98.

28+255=283 -> 255 Silver Super Legnums produced
280+3=283

Top Bottom