Legnum Paint and Turning Circle Questions

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Just a couple of questions about Legnum's from those who know. I've had a '94 Magna for about four years, and a couple of problems I've come across had me swearing against every buying Mitsi ever again, so I thought I'd find out if Legnums have inherited these old problems or not.

Firstly, paint on early 90's Mitsubishis doesn't handle Australian climates at all. I dunno if they fared better in Japan, but I know how badly my paint has flaked off, and I've seen hundreds of early 90's Mitsi models with the exact same problem, with the paint flaking off the bonnet, roof, boot, doors... Later models don't seem to have the same issue, but as I've seen precisely no Legnums in the flesh, I thought I'd better ask if anyone's seen or heard of such problems with them?

Second question is about turning circle, as my Magna needs no less than 4 lanes to do a u-turn (unless I pop the handbrake which I do a lot in the wet, but its nasty in summer and useless if you're stationary). What's the steering rack length on the Legnum? Does it have a better turning circle than the abysmal Magna effort? I know there are a couple of ex Magna owners on here, so details of your experiences are appreciated!

Thanks! :)

G

Unregistered
no paint issues only either of the legnums ive owned,
both have always been parked outside to face the elements,

VR4 Min.turning radius, 5.8m

is the magna a diamante wagon??
if so the turning radius is worse by 0.1 - 0.2 meters depending on which year magna.

zErTeK[2k]

Crunching Gears
First Name
Nathan
Drive
Varis Widebody Evo 5
Mk4 Golf GTi
remembering that awd makes the turning circle worse in most cases. this is one thing that constantly gets nailed on evos. they handle so well but turning circle of a bus

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
is the magna a diamante wagon??
if so the turning radius is worse by 0.1 - 0.2 meters depending on which year magna.
Yep, 1994 TR model.

remembering that awd makes the turning circle worse in most cases.
Is that because it reduces the achievable angle of the front wheel, or reduces the length of the steering rack?

this is one thing that constantly gets nailed on evos. they handle so well but turning circle of a bus
What's the comparitive turning circle of a GTR Skyline then??

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Assuming the turning circle is as abysmal, can you flick the car around quickly using wheel-spin? Its fairly easy to do in a high-powered rear wheel drive, but what about 4wd? Its certainly not lacking the power!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Haha unfortunately no - you should try living in Perth, the govt keeps changing the roads so you can't turn right from side streets, forcing you to go left and do a u-turn to get where you're going... I seem to do that quite a lot which is a serious pain in the Magna :(

Speaking of traffic management stupidity, I just LOVE it when they find a two-lane road isn't coping with the traffic flow, so their solution is to turn it into a SINGLE LANE road and REDUCE the speed limit! That's fricken logistical gold right there! *sigh*

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The red legnums do tend to fade quite badly, but I haven't seen any other colours that do that.Their turning circle isn't great, and there isn't much you can do to enhance that :)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
G

Unregistered

really??!!!

ive got the (JDM) magna wagon down as (92 onwards)

Min.turning radius, 5.5m

and the (JDM) diamante wagon down as (94 onwards)

Min.turning radius, 5.7m

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Turning circle of a TR magna is 11m It's insanely crap. I hated doing U turns in mine! The VR4 is 5.8m...that's like half the magna's one lol

The turning radius of the VR4 is 5.8 - thus the turning circle is 11.6!
Insanely more crap than your Magna. :p

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
It would need to be a hovercraft to having a turning circle of 5.8 lol (it's 4.7m long)

Is there something about your Galant you're not telling us Paul??

:)

Lee

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Haha he probably does u-turns like I do - in the wet, with the handbrake popped up ;)

Please note that doing this at home is NOT safe for your expensive soft-compound tires and may may lead to negative police interraction over your 'dangerous driving'...

G

Unregistered
i haven't had any problems doing u turns i did expect that my galant wouldn't have the best turning circle being awd. i have been told that the reason for awd cars is that they have to reduce the angle which the wheel can turn because if you didn't it would wear the cv's out and it would put huge strain on the gear box because of difference in the differentials between the front and back as it turns in a sharp corner because they are turning at different speeds. i think that sounds about right its kinda hard to explain, correct me if im wrong. so in the long run having a bad turning circle might just save you some money and anyway isn't that why on you l's you learn a 3 point turn?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
yeah thats basically it. a bigger problem with lowered vr-4's is that quite often you end up doing a 5 point turn because you can't turn into anyones driveway!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
lol I missed the radius vs. diameter bit. And that makes the VR4 have a shithouse turning circle, ah well! Shame they don't have a good 4ws system in them.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Wow Brad, really? Does it get tire-rub on the guards? Or does the top part of the suspension come in contact with the tires once you drop it?

3-point turns are all well and good, but not possible turning on a fast highway with heavy traffic, which I seem to do a lot of... :(

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hmm it seems the turning circle on a GTR Skyline is just as bad at 11.4m diametre (5.7m radius). And that's a MUCH smaller car WITH all-wheel steering, so a limitation of AWD by the looks.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Actually comparing the length of the two cars, they're very close in dimensions.

It's strange how there's all wheel steer systems around that turn in the rear wheels at very low speed to allow for a smaller turning circle but they didn't make it on this car. Ah well! that's life I guess!

Top Bottom