Legnum rear seat into Galant

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
OK so I'm officially doing this to my car. I think I have it sussed out, but any help/advice would be more than welcome.

I have the seat and the loops that the backrests clip into, and will be getting the lower brackets (the ones that the "hinges" bolt to) shortly. Is there anything else I will need, other than something to fill the gap between the side bolsters and the parcel shelf? I'm planning carpeted MDF or a hacked up piece of the Legnum "parcel shelf" for that.

I understand that it has been done before by a few CVR4 members. I have searched their site but find it near impossible to navigate - does anyone have any details of who has done the mod or what was done?

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
That sounds like an awesome little project. I look forward to seeing how you go mate.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I have the car booked in to my guy in 2 weeks to get it done. He's pretty confident that with the lower brackets we should be right. Does anyone know if that part of the floorpan is common between Legnums and Galants?

Once it is done I'll get plenty of pictures and whack up a "how to".

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I now have all the brackets and an appointment with my panel beater/mechanic/guy that makes things work to get it done in a week & a half. I will update as soon as stuff gets done. As far as I can tell, though, you will need the brackets with the vertical bolts that are welded to the Legnum floor to make it work.

Will confirm that once he has a good look for me.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I know the asian released galants have the 60/40 split rear seats.. do you want me to get some photos for you? I can ask some guys to take them..

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
The na galants have 60/40 folding seats in them which should work in the vr4's...

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Cheers Christian I may need that! Let me have a crack and if we hit any snags I'll take you up on the offer!

G

Unregistered
Well that's uber gay, as if some galants got folding rear seats and others didn't...surely that would be a feature to have standard right across the model range....stupid mitsubishi!

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Did some trial fitting today and all I can say is THANK YOU MITSUBISHI!

It is crazy how well they fit. I can confirm that the Galant and Legnum floors are 100% the same. The thing that blew me away is that the Galant even has the threaded holes for the loops that lock the back of the seat in place. It was simply a matter of bolting them in place! If you have those, and the bottom brackets from the Legnum, this looks like one of the easiest jobs you could do to a car.

As for modifications that have to be done, I will have to make pieces to go between the seatbelt hole in the parcel shelf and the "wings" of the rear seat. The Legnum ones aren't as deep as the Galant. As discussed earlier, I have to weld the bottom brackets to the floor. This should be easy as all the mounting surfaces are there, it is just a matter of getting them in exactly the right spot. I also may have to cut off the "hooks" that secure the top of the Galant rear seat to allow the new seat to lock into the loops. If I get picky, I may also carpet the sheetmetal that sits behind the seat. I have some spare carpet lying around so that'll be easy.

An added, unexpected bonus for those of us with damper adjustment on the top of our coilovers is that all you need to do with a Legnum rear seat is fold it down and you have access to your strut tops! No more removing the rear seat to make adjustments.

Welding's getting done tomorrow (unless I get cancelled on again) so I'll update you soon on how it looks.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Thats great, I'm keen to see how you go. Interesting little project :)

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
They look way pimper than the Galant seats too because of the adjustable headrests... :cool:

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Oh yeah! That would be pimp. Now I wait for a fl Legnum to be parted out

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
It's in, welding cost $30. :-D Not that complicated! Picked it up after dark so no pics but I will pull it all out & take pics for you all tomorrow. I can do a "how to" if there's demand for one.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Been mad busy on the car today. Took the pics but no time to upload etc. Will try get it done tomorrow.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Nice work mate! Appreciate you writing/documenting this for us.

Top Bottom