Legnum S2, auto ... 'weird' vibrations...

G

Unregistered
Hi all !
My tiptronic Leggie S2 has developed a 'weird' vibration...
It mainly comes on when you're very gentle or near steady with the gas pedal & goes away most times by de-accelarating or stepping on it...
It gives me the impression it may be comming from the 'torque converter'...
Has anyone experienced anything similar ??? Clues ??? All welcome !
Thanks in advance,
John

G

Unregistered
...Should add that it's not there at all times... So, shafts out of balance are pretty much ruled out ! (they would vibrate always at certain speeds).
This vibration happens at variable speeds too...

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Did you do change anything on the car before it started or did it just start randomly.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Drive shaft or tail shaft?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
lost a wheel weight
cv
drive shaft
worn engine mount
egg in the tyre

G

Unregistered
Did you do change anything on the car before it started or did it just start randomly.

No'p ! Just started randomly...was there even durring the last cruise few weeks back...

G

Unregistered
As I mentioned earlier, doesn't seem to be associated with balance shafts, drive shafts etc... cause if it was them, then I'd get the vibration at certain speeds & pretty much always...
This one;s really got me: It's intermitant (but, mostly there), can happen at variable speeds & makes the whole car shake. It comes on when you're very gentle or regular/constant speed mainly & goes away either slowing down or speeding up !
VERY annoying indeed. It's been there for quite a while... 6 months ???

By the way, also chasing a jap spec box to suit a VR4 1990. Help ???

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I once used some spray-into-the-tyre-valve puncture sealant and either I used way too much or it didn't set properly - the resulting liquid in the tyre gave me very similar symptoms to what you're describing. Could water or some other liquid have gotten into one of your tyres somehow?

Johnny_k

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Johnny
Drive
97 COTY Legnum & 09 Astra
Hey mate, I might have same issue. Would you maybe call it a shudder as opposed to a vibration. It usually happens to me when trying to hold a low speed like 40 - 60k's with little acceleration. If i increase or decrease acceleration even sightly it goes. this is also by no means regular. Last time i noticed it was about 100k's ago and before that maybe a week or so. It has me worried, but not yet worried enough to take it to someone to go exploring.

G

Unregistered
Hey mate, I might have same issue. Would you maybe call it a shudder as opposed to a vibration. It usually happens to me when trying to hold a low speed like 40 - 60k's with little acceleration. If i increase or decrease acceleration even sightly it goes. this is also by no means regular. Last time i noticed it was about 100k's ago and before that maybe a week or so. It has me worried, but not yet worried enough to take it to someone to go exploring.

Many thanks for your input... Yeap, sounds like it !! I'd still like to think though it's a vibration... I'll expolre further & if anything shows where it's comming from, I'll advise you.

G

Unregistered
Many thanks for your input... Yeap, sounds like it !! I'd still like to think though it's a vibration... I'll expolre further & if anything shows where it's comming from, I'll advise you.

Do you have the auto/tiptronic ???

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
it could be a few things, I would check universal joints first. Also check driveshaft for damage, outer or inner CV's.

• A shudder or vibration when accelerating. Excessive play in either the inboard or outboard joints can sometimes cause this, but the most likely cause is a worn inboard plunge joint. These kinds of vibrations can also be caused by a bad intermediate shaft bearing on transaxles with equal length halfshafts. This kind of vibration can also be caused by loose or deteriorated engine/transaxle mounts. For this reason, the rubber bushings in the upper "torque strap" or "dog bone" on these engines should also be inspected to rule out this possibility.

• A vibration that increases with speed. This symptom is rarely caused by a failing CV joint. An out-of-balance tire or wheel, an out-of-round tire or wheel, or a bent rim are the more likely causes.

jimslick

Crunching Gears
First Name
jim
Drive
99 vr4
Hey mate my auto does the same..... A guy at the trans shop said it could be something burnt in the slush box....if you find any info it would help me greatly..

jimslick

Crunching Gears
First Name
jim
Drive
99 vr4
I also find it only does it in 4th or 5th, only at low rpm and usually when going up a hill. But not all the time

DRAN_GT

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Denny
Drive
Legnum Vr4 98 (facelift)
my s2 does the same, i have just had new cvs about 200km ago but the car was off road for three months. only really does it between 50kph to 70kph with the same gental or constant acceloration as mentioned has anyone found out what is causing this yet ?!?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I had a similar problem when I got the Super. Harsh vibration when going uphill in a certain speed range.

Turned out the compliance muppets had put Dexron in the auto gearbox. Had it flushed out & replaced with SPIII fluid & it went away.

Noticed the OP has been banned? lol.

Top Bottom