Lifter Noises

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR4, Subaru B4 Legacy RS30
I had heard a couple of things about the lifters and why they make noise.

1. The lifters get dirty and the hole in the top of them clogs and narrows causing them to begin making noise. I have heard that they can be cleaned instead of replaced, and then they will be fine once again. This info came from a guy who was a Mitsubishi rally mechanic and he was surprised people changed them, when they could be cleaned in most cases.
  2. The oil that you use makes a huge difference to the lifters, if the oil you use is not a recommended brand or grade the lifters will make noise. I have read of VR4 owners simply changing oils or oil brands and the noise then disappearing. The better the oil you use the less chance also of your tubs getting ruined prematurely.

It seems that often the noise is age related or oil related but I guess its all quite subjective unless a lot of testing is done to fine tune the real issue. I will be able to tell you if cleaning and using 0-40 oil works very shortly as all going well my car will be back on the road and running like a champion.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Random location for that piece of info Bruce :p I think that you have some references around the wrong way too

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
The lifters get dirty and the hole in the top of them clogs and narrows causing them to begin making noise. I have heard that they can be cleaned instead of replaced, and then they will be fine once again. This info came from a guy who was a Mitsubishi rally mechanic and he was surprised people changed them, when they could be cleaned in most cases.

I did clean my lifters when I first got my vr4 using Mitsubishi's procedure and plenty of crap came out of them, but the tick eventually came back. In the end, I would have saved myself time by just replacing them in the first place. you've gotta get them out to clean them, might as well replace them - same amount of work.

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR4, Subaru B4 Legacy RS30
I think on club VR4 there was some info about lifters with a bigger hole that were supposed to be better than OEM. But in other threads people say go only OEM as they are better. Anyway I will be testing mine to see how they go and will post the results and all the info around the oil I am using and so on.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Moved posts from oil filters thread to lifters thread.

marc mtp

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
marc
Drive
legnum
I think on club VR4 there was some info about lifters with a bigger hole that were supposed to be better than OEM. But in other threads people say go only OEM as they are better. Anyway I will be testing mine to see how they go and will post the results and all the info around the oil I am using and so on.

Hi guys I seen the lash adjusters with 3mm hole compared to std 1 mm hole Ian considering these myself bigger hole less chance of blocking and more oil still deciding

Top Bottom