frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
I am quite disappointed with my car at the moment, it seems the costs just go on and on.. (as i expected, but still.... its getting annoying :p)

I would just like to make a list of things that i have had to replace / spend money on so far (or am currently spending money on :() and i'd love to edit this post and add to it at the end so i can make sort of a 'generic list' of things i can get checked out when i do a big major check up top to bottom of the car, i want to have EVERYTHING last me from now on :p
Note: im not going to include things like upgrades or replacement of things like clutch, rotors and pads...
Note2: No point listing lifters as that one almost everyone has regardless lol

Mine:
-Had to replace the control arms as i was getting alot of knocking sounds
-Wheel Bearings (front right..) - Replaced hub assembly
-Passenger side foglight became permanently water logged - replaced it..
-Front left CV boot split and sprayed everywhere, replaced driveshafts as suspected other problem
-Front right CV died - going to be getting them reconditioned properly once i pay off a few people..
-AYC Diff shit itself... Replacing very soon hopefully

Others:
Brad (bradc):
Black Legnum - one dead coil pack
Purple Legnum - broken clips on rear wide body extension drivers side, cracked radiator top tank, overheating issues
White Legnum - dead auto gearbox (but I knew that when I bought it for $4k)
Blue Legnum - stuffed stock brakes. Upgraded to VR-4 spec stuff, now all good

Andrew (99vr4Legnum)
Only issue that i have had has been my power steering belt

Paul (VR-04-TT):
electrical issue where fuses kept blowing - earthing out somewhere along the line.
Leaking power steering line

Lee (Hotwire):
Trans was rooted upon importing

Marty (cowabunga438):
intermittent fault on the ABS/ASC

Derek (mookers):
Clutch master and slave cylinder packed up at 69,000 kms.

Kevin (VR4Rocket):
Cracked radiator top tank
Front bushes worn

Matt (mallen):
Torque Converter needed reconditioning ($1000)

Andy (Sydo):
Worn front bushes.

Felix (MIUMIU):
crack radiator top tank, blown rear shocks, and
TCS lights turn on (which is OFF mode) together with engine lights suddenly....after a clean to one TCS sensor , now is fine

Kye (Scythe):
power steering belt jumped a groove

Dimi (dimi_108):
Cam angle sensor
Leak - small driplets every now and then (rear main seal or torque converter seal)
Transmission mount needs replacing (clunk when putting into reverse, etc.)
Squeaky belt
Jerk when hitting boost (probably the plugs, so can't really count this as a problem yet)

Christian (naughtika):
squeeky glove box here.. and rattling boot..

(lol christian... nice additions..)

Carsten (Gly):
rear diff, x2 (on my 3rd now)
drivers side inner rack end,
drivers side inner CV boot,
new input shaft bearing and seal in gear box,
IFS (ignition failure sensor)
power steering belt
clutch

Edit - Updated and added most of the stuff listed. Please do add to it :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Black Legnum - one dead coil pack
Purple Legnum - broken clips on rear wide body extension drivers side, cracked radiator top tank, overheating issues
White Legnum - dead auto gearbox (but I knew that when I bought it for $4k)
Blue Legnum - stuffed stock brakes. Upgraded to VR-4 spec stuff, now all good

G

Unregistered
Only issue that i have had has been my power steering belt..

Turns out that the place that i took it to, to have the cambelt done
didnt put it on properly and it was rubbing on the other belt causing it to make an unusual noise - all sorted now back to perfect condition.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I've had an electrical issue where fuses kept blowing, it was just an earthing out somewhere along the line.

The only other problem I've had that isn't my fault is a leaking power steering line which will be fixed this weekend.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
i paid for a full check up on my car 2 days ago and the mechanic who has dealt with mitsis for over 10 years was very impressed,he could not find a spot of rust or corrosion anywhere,
the only things he could pick wrong with it was 2 bald tyres,needs 2 new wiper blades, breaks need maching but i think they were done a few months ago so i think it will be smarter to get some slotted discs and new pads(legnum brakes are apparently prone to warping) and there is one noisy hydraulic lifter,which isnt too big of a problem but to replace all 24 of them will be close to a $1000,luckily he doesnt reckon ill have to worry about it unless it gets a lot noisier

he says its just one of mitsubishis faults in their v6's that hes seen for years in the pajeros etc

could tell he loved it because the fuel was down quite a bit

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
I have an intermittent fault on the ABS/ASC. All else is perfect.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Clutch master and slave cylinder packed up at 69,000 kms.
(Clutch itself wore out about 1000 kms before that, but you said not to include clutches :p)

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Cracked radiator top tank
Front bushes worn

Other things have been self done...alarm system earthing, AFC wire earthing and a couple of other things with my hard piping

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Upon import at 86,000km my front rotors needed machining and one rear brake light bulb was replaced (broke the bank at $3) and that was it. 2000km later all is good.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Old Leggie - Fuel tank, tyres, Headlight and spot bulbs, leaking bov, extra noisy diff...

Galant - power steering fluid dead, belt squeal...

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Torque Converter reconditioned - Total Cost $1000

I have to get a new timing belt too... :(

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Oh Oh I forgot ... lady in Getz smashed the side of my car!!

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
20,000kms ago - upon import;

'Lumpy' front rotors. (still not done)
Worn front bushes. (still not done)
Busted sunroof motor. ($120)

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
i havnt spent anything on mine other then normal servicing, done nearly 10,000 since importing it and it already had 121,000 on it when i got it.

i blew a head light bulb so yeah that cost me $18 in a country town auto shop, the service replaced spark leads etc but nothing else, and apparantly there is a very slight oil leak near the rear turbo but they said it wasnt bad enough to repair yet.

still need to replace/ repair the front bumper $950 odd brand new from japan via New Zealand delivered to my door. i already knew i needed this before buying from japan, tried local repair but they stuffed it and said it couldnt be done.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
still need to replace/ repair the front bumper $950 odd brand new from japan via New Zealand delivered to my door. i already knew i needed this before buying from japan, tried local repair but they stuffed it and said it couldnt be done.

My bumper is going in for repairs next week! :eek:

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Wes as I said in another thread AGES ago, the bumper repair guy that fixed my bumper can repair just about anything that isn't shattered into little pieces. I've seen his work and even without seeing pics of the damage to your bumper I can't imagine why yours couldn't be repaired... Unless it's fibreglass or something, in which case a fibreglass repairer will be able to fix it anyway.

G

Unregistered
Legnum--
own it about 2 months since import
crack radiator top tank, blown rear shocks, and
this scare me ...my TCS lights turn on (which is OFF mode) together with engine lights suddenly....after a clean to one TCS sensor , now is fine...but not sure if i should replace the sensors

Top Bottom