Location of Moonroof motor / wiring

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Hey guys. I guess this is a pretty urgent question really..

There was a known fault with my sunroof before it ever left Japan. It was sold to me as 'not working', but stupidly I played with it anyway.
Up until today I had not had any problem as it seemed fine.

However, now it's open - and stuck open! The motor wont start. :confused:

I'm certain it's not a problem with the switch (the relay is still being triggered), and pretty sure it's not a fuse.

So what's next? I'm thinking it's a loose wire somewhere between the relay and motor, but am stumped as to how to get to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G

Unregistered
you will have to remove the roof lining to get access to it...
the motors at the back end of it. (i think)

have you tried pulling the window/glass closed when you trigger the switch to close?

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
have you tried pulling the window/glass closed when you trigger the switch to close?

She wont budge. The motor, which I know is in working order, is not even starting. :(

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
you definitely need to remove the rood lining. Perhaps you could do that, then figure out what to connect and where, then move the roof back with a 9v battery or something? It might be a little slow not being 12v, but at least you won't blow anything up

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Ouch! This sounds like a sticky situation. If your gona remove the head lining and you sill cant get the roof to close electrically, have a go at removing the motor its self opening the mechanism and allowing it to be closed manually. Good luck mate!

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Think I'll have to give it a go tomorrow after work. Removing the roof lining looks like quite a hell of a job. :(

Here's hoping it's just a simple wiring problem somewhere.

Plan B will be to get it to an auto-electrician.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Well I've made some headway. Removing all the screws and clips that hold the rooflining in place, I'm now able to access the sunroof ECU and motor. There doesn't seem to be any obvious loose wires - but I wont know for certain until I get my hands on a multimeter. That however will have to wait till after work tonight. :(

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Sorry to hear of your troubles, Sydo :(

Can I make a suggestion? Take PHOTOS! I know right now you just want to get it working and back together, but it would be so helpful for anyone else who needs to get their lining off and screw around with their moonroof if they could see exactly what they need to do :)

Good luck and keep us up-to-date with your progress!

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Sorry to hear of your troubles, Sydo :(

Can I make a suggestion? Take PHOTOS!

Will do.

update: All the wiring - from the switch, to the ECU, to the motor - seems to be working fine. The next step is to physically remove the motor and manually test each terminal to see what's what. I'm still hoping it's something simple, but it ain't looking good.

It's been raining every day, so as you can imagine I've effectively been left without a car. Mechanically everything seems A1 (awesome car that makes me want to drive everywhere) - yet something stupid like forces me off the road.:(

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
That's the way it goes, unfortunately. Hell its the same with everything - you could bash your little toe and render yourself immobile for a few days if you did it bad enough. Just be glad its something annoying but relatively CHEAP, not annoying and expensive, like steering rack, transmission, cam assembly... need I go on? ;)

I'm sure that's not helping you right now 'cause you just want the damn thing to work reliably, but I think it helps to maintain a positive attitude in the face of annoying adversity :)

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Motor is out, and with the help of a tap hammer - sunroof is closed.
It looks like it's been repaired previously too, as there was a little dodgy soldering/taping around the 'limit switch'. Hmm... Also note the amount of grease and general poo that had acculuated around the gear mechanicsm..

At this stage, I'll be putting the rooflining back in and continue to drive. Hopefully it's all weather proof - but I doubt it. I'll get the motor looked at over the weekend, but am pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll have to order myself a new one.

Oh well.. at least I'm back on the road.

np - removing the rooflining is time consuming and a little violent. Let's hope it goes in straight and neat again.

Goof

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ian
Drive
Vr4 LEGGY
where abouts is the fuse for the sunroof located I can not find it for the life of me?

Top Bottom