Longevity of the VR-4

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Right.

I'd like to know what the projected lifespan of the typical VR-4 is? If one religiously follows the maintenance schedule, what mileage would it have to reach before thinking of getting another vehicle?

My VR-4 had 117 000km when I took delivery and it's now on 130 000km. I have no idea what sort of mileage you can put these vehicles or if they're like Toyotas which just go on for ever?

What VR-4 specific components would typically need replacing with advanced age? Would things like AYC or something like that eventually fail completely at 200 000km +

Any info as usual much appreciated.

Cheers

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
You gotta expect the usual (with any car) 100k belts and a damn good going over. On a 130k example you gotta think water pump, maybe rad and new fuel hoses as well as the usual filters. as far as diffs and gear box go, get them serviced regulary and use ONLY quality oils (IE redline for the box) and they should see you good well past 300k. Although we consider these vehicles somewhat of a "performance" car here, in Japan they are very run of the mill (think Commondore) and are therefore built to last and can take a fair beating, as long as you are good to it behind the sceens.

G

Unregistered
I think 300,000km is a fair estimate as long as it's looked after. People are VERY spoiled when it comes to Japanese imports, where 150,000km is considered 'high mileage'. Any car of similar age here in Australia would probably be pushing double that.

For example I consider my Celsior to be a high mileage Japanese car with 165,000 km on it, here in Aus you can't find an LS400 (same thing) with less than about 250,000km and there are plenty with about 400,000, so in reality I'm sure mine still has tons of life left in it.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Yeah there are some in england pushing 200,000 miles and they are fine. The AYC diff will eventually wear out, and at that point it will be easier to go for an LSD at the back, and the auto trans probably won't see you to 200,000km, but apart from that they are very good cars and the engines are really good, they last forever

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
The thing i'm worried about the most is the lifters, etc. They are the main part that lets the engines done

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
I think 300,000km is a fair estimate as long as it's looked after. People are VERY spoiled when it comes to Japanese imports, where 150,000km is considered 'high mileage'. Any car of similar age here in Australia would probably be pushing double that.

For example I consider my Celsior to be a high mileage Japanese car with 165,000 km on it, here in Aus you can't find an LS400 (same thing) with less than about 250,000km and there are plenty with about 400,000, so in reality I'm sure mine still has tons of life left in it.

I just had this conversation with a customer at work today. It is suprisingly hard sometimes to convince a punter that a R34 althought the same age as their Commondore is actually worth the $7k - $15k more.
If not purely based on features (ie electric everything) then you have to consider re-sale as well as the obvious performance and handling benifits.
These cars ( be they Mitsubishi, Nissan or Toyota) are a far, FAR better product than anything on the local market
You have to wonder why Toyota for example continues to try to flog the shitty Avalon when they have a sweet RWD sedan on option in Japan.
When will they realise (look at GMH and FORD) that the Australian market doesn't want a FWD big sedan. Massively off target I know but I needed another rant, LOL

G

Unregistered
Well, my Legnum arrived in the UK in 2003 with a certified 117,000kms and was neglected by it's first two UK owners, before becoming a club car. It's now clocked over 107,000 miles (172,000kms). In that time I've had one failure (busted alternator) but I have had to replace many, many parts and service items to ensure long-term reliability.

In the UK we've got a couple of VR-4s on 150,000 miles (241,000kms)and still going strong, two of these have been running 1 bar of boost without problems for at least 40/50,000 miles.

Generally speaking, these cars are durable and capable of huge mileages - But, regular attentive service is vital. I know that's common sense for any car, but VR-4s do suffer badly if they're mistreated & neglected, though having said that it's still very usual to hear of one leaving you totally stranded.

In the UK, a lot of the early cars are running up to around 160,000kms. We find the following common problems at this mileage:

Autobox torque convertor seals (though these can go at any time if it's the unmodified seal).
Suspension bushings wearing out and getting sloppy
Shocks going hard (60,000 miles is the average life)
Neglected/abused gearboxes start to fail (looked after ones will go on and on and on though)
Turbos can start blowing oil around this mileage, though it's not often they actually fail totally.
Engine mounts collapse (these are a pain, as soon as one goes it'll cause the others to deteriorate quickly if not sorted out).

Fortunately, things like bottom ends, head gaskets, and other really expensive stuff soldiers on and doesn't usually cause trouble.:)

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
Well, my Legnum arrived in the UK in 2003 with a certified 117,000kms and was neglected by it's first two UK owners, before becoming a club car. It's now clocked over 107,000 miles (172,000kms). In that time I've had one failure (busted alternator) but I have had to replace many, many parts and service items to ensure long-term reliability.

In the UK we've got a couple of VR-4s on 150,000 miles (241,000kms)and still going strong, two of these have been running 1 bar of boost without problems for at least 40/50,000 miles.

Generally speaking, these cars are durable and capable of huge mileages - But, regular attentive service is vital. I know that's common sense for any car, but VR-4s do suffer badly if they're mistreated & neglected, though having said that it's still very usual to hear of one leaving you totally stranded.

In the UK, a lot of the early cars are running up to around 160,000kms. We find the following common problems at this mileage:

Autobox torque convertor seals (though these can go at any time if it's the unmodified seal).
Suspension bushings wearing out and getting sloppy
Shocks going hard (60,000 miles is the average life)
Neglected/abused gearboxes start to fail (looked after ones will go on and on and on though)
Turbos can start blowing oil around this mileage, though it's not often they actually fail totally.
Engine mounts collapse (these are a pain, as soon as one goes it'll cause the others to deteriorate quickly if not sorted out).

Fortunately, things like bottom ends, head gaskets, and other really expensive stuff soldiers on and doesn't usually cause trouble.:)

So in the most basic of terms : get one under 60k and look after it and continue to do so and you should be okay

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Learn what to look for and renew rubber parts on a regular basis. Bushes and boots, hydraulic lifters (lash adjusters), belts and seals.

Kieran's point about engine mounts is on the money - I've totally destroyed these on previous cars. Once a rubber bush goes, the component its meant to stabilise will start to slop around, possibly causing damage to mechanical components, but almost certainly wearing other rubber parts VERY quickly due to the additional movement.

Very helpful and informative post, Kieran - welcome to the forums! :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Welcome K!

He is dead right about the cars, all of the expensive stuff inside the engine is fine and will last for a long time, and the turbos are great too.

G

Unregistered
Thanks guys - You're welcome, it's nice to share the knowledge!

G

Unregistered
I would like to think they are a good car, but are they getting driven the same way as a commodore or falcon? i know mine isn't, I will service it every 5000km and look after it, but i will also drive it like it should be, also there are a lot more to these car then a basic Ozzie built car.
Also electrics do get issues over time, and are hard to fix. I don't want to sound negative but these are all factors that you have to consider, My 180SX have 179,000 when i sold it, and was very second hand, but i drove it like a dick and pushed it hard so i expected it

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Thanks everyone - Kieran especially for providing some tips on what components are likely to need replacing as the mileage increases.

R

COLT45

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jim
Drive
Lancer GTI 1995, Colt 1990
Bump to old thread, is it worth buying vr4 with 320000km? Thinking about the bearings etc, how long they last?

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Bump to old thread, is it worth buying vr4 with 320000km? Thinking about the bearings etc, how long they last?
This thread is indeed extremely old.

It is entirely dependent on price and your mechanical capabilities. I would have to imagine the engine has been rebuilt or it is on it's last legs....

Every other bush and bearing will be knocking on deaths door too.

Given the cold climate I would expect rust to be another major issue with that much driving?

COLT45

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jim
Drive
Lancer GTI 1995, Colt 1990
This thread is indeed extremely old.

It is entirely dependent on price and your mechanical capabilities. I would have to imagine the engine has been rebuilt or it is on it's last legs....

Every other bush and bearing will be knocking on deaths door too.

Given the cold climate I would expect rust to be another major issue with that much driving?
Hes asking 3500-4000euros for it.. But it hasnt passed emissions In finland.

Due to too much HC In the exhaust fumes, max for hc is 100 and its pushing 200-300.

It has some welding work alsošŸ˜ wheel wells

Top Bottom