Loss In Power

G

Unregistered
Hey hows everyone going, I think I might have a little bit of a problem, my car seems to have lost a bit of its get up and go, still actually runs fine just seems to be a bit gutless, I can hear a sucking noise from around the throttle body, dont know if that is just normal cause never been trying to find a problem before and I can hear the BOV a little bit when i change gears, being a plumb back system should i be able to hear it or would that indicate that I have a leak in the intercooler or the pipe work, and advise would be appreciated. Would RPW be the best place to go to in Perth as I do live south of the river.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
You may have a vacuum leak. Check your idle...is it higher than normal? Sometimes a vacuum leak can cause both problems.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You can normally hear the stock BOV if you have the radio off and the stock exhaust, and you are listening very closely.

Probably a split pipe somewhere, or the bov might have given up.

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Guys,

If the car has TCL or ASC, then check that there are no fault codes emitted by this system. When these systems go into certain faults, they will cause a loss of acceleration.

From the manual about the ASC system.
Engine Output is reduced in the TCL non operation range (ASC/TCL lamp does not illuminate) and starting and acceleration performance is poor.

Regards

Gavin

G

Unregistered
have you put lower octane gas in than you normally would?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Carsten makes a good point there - reset the ECU and put in 98 octane fuel and see what happens.

G

Unregistered
How do i reset the ECU, and I did fill up with 98 this morning and it did seem to be better, the misses was the last one the put fuel in, I have a sneaky suspicion she might have used 91 as she is used to her XR6.

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Brad,

That depends on what your idea of fun is.
I find that being able to go head to head with a 350 powered SS commodore in a straight line, and not having to slow down to corner in the wet, and not fishtailing it up the road for the next 100 meters attracting the eye of the local police a lot of fun.
But then again, thats just me.
Regards
Gavin

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Run that tank quite low as well, then put 98 in again and see what happens. It will probably fix itself.

Gav - I find that it is very hard to get the ASC and TCL system to operate above about 30kmh anyway unless you're on gravel. The 4wd and AYC should keep you fairly well straight 99% of the time anyway.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Question - can ASC and TCL be fitted later if you wanted them? Is the componentry built in, and you can just plug in the control unit? Or are they completely different diffs and braking systems?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
ohh no, it is a huge system with vacuum tanks, throttle body controls, ecu's, lines and crap everywhere!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hmm sounds like more shit to go wrong... and I hate traction control anyway so I'd prolly switch it off more often than not if I DID have it! ;)

Top Bottom