Lower Temperature Thermostat

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Is it good for the engine to operate at that temp?

Low temp Thermostat 76c MD317015 (stock is 82c)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I moved this question into it's own thread because I think it is important enough to have it's own section

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Thanks Brad

I have always wondered about this as even though the temp gauge doesn't move past half, it seems to be pretty warm.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
An engine is designed to operate at a particular temperature for optimum fuel efficiency and combustion effectiveness. If you reduce it's temperature then it won't be as effective, and can cause damage to the engine.

In Aussie however, I doubt you'd ever get the engine cooler than is healthy for it, regardless of the situation? Remember that the thermostat will be open before 90C (when things start to get a bit critical) regardless of when it opens, so I don't think it will be a fix for overheating.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
so a thermostat only opens at that temp, not the temp that it keeps the engine?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
It *begins* to open at xxxC and is fully open by xxxC, so ideally Mitsi want the coolant temp to be somewhere between those two points, probably about 50-70% of the way between those points.

However in traffic for example the thermostat will normally be fully open and the temp of the engine - especially in the 45C you guys are getting at the moment - might be quite a bit above the fully open temp.

G

Unregistered
The idea behind a lower temperature opening thermostat is that it opens earler and so the radiator doesnt have to remove so much heat and therefore will keep the car cooler.
Brad's right we wouldnt need to worry about keeping the car at a warm enough running temp as the main reason is to allow the engine to get to operating temperature quicker so changing the thermostat would be ok with no bad repocussions unless you drive in sub zero tempretures.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
would my variable fan controller thing be controlling a 2nd fan or would it be controlling the one you are talking about... as in i have my controller set at 80 degrees, should i really have it at 85 so im actually making use of the factory thermostat?

G

Unregistered
Nar in summer it should come on as soon as the thermostat opens and winter a little longer maybe 5 degrees more.

G

Unregistered
THe only benefit these cooler units have is if you are racing the vehicle and running at high loads all the time. Its one of those carry over things from rally vehicles that is not always good for a road vehicle.
Going cooler on thermostat, means the factory coolant sensor reads colder tempatures, and adds fuel to keep appropiate afr ratio.

So if you want to LOSE more fuel economy great option.

Seriously, this is only something for heavily modded vehicles that are doing very regular track work. Yes you can make more power with retuning of the ECU, but fuel economy is not a factory for a race car.

Save your money and stay with standard.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
THe only benefit these cooler units have is if you are racing the vehicle and running at high loads all the time. Its one of those carry over things from rally vehicles that is not always good for a road vehicle.
Going cooler on thermostat, means the factory coolant sensor reads colder tempatures, and adds fuel to keep appropiate afr ratio.

So if you want to LOSE more fuel economy great option.

Seriously, this is only something for heavily modded vehicles that are doing very regular track work. Yes you can make more power with retuning of the ECU, but fuel economy is not a factory for a race car.

Save your money and stay with standard.

Well said Dave. This is like the bigger throttle body thread- it would be the last thing id do to the car.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Low temp Thermostat 76c MD317015 (stock is 82c)

Does anyone know the fully open temp for the low temp thermostat compared with stock ~95?

I think the available SARD unit is to cool (65 opens), but something between could be advantageous here in Perth where temps are such that warm up would rarely be impeded.

Top Bottom