Main line (Car -> Battery) wire gauge AND amp install question

Soldat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Blake
Drive
R33 GTST (S2)
I'll be installing a 1000w amp into the Leggy on thursday and I'm trying to figure it out in my head before hand.

I got some mad install kit that had metres of speaker, RCA, remote, power and ground cables, 120A in-line fuse, etc; NEARLY everything I need to get the amp in.

But I was looking at it and I'm thinking "How the hell am I actually going to hook this up to the battery?". As best I can tell, I'm going to need to get some new terminals to attach to the pwr lead to the amp, the ground line and possibly the main line thats currently hooked to the + terminal on the battery (the lead that the entire car runs from).

The problem: Do I cut up the existing line and give it a new multi (or pillar) + terminal connector or do I try attaching the lead from the amp to the existing terminal (by ring connector)? Also, anyone able to confirm what gauge the main line is (trial and error with gold-plated terminals could get costly, I'd rather get it right first time)?

G

Unregistered
The easiest thing to do is crimp on a ring connector to the amp power cable (with fuse at the battery end) and put it through the bolt on the battery +, run that through the wheel arch, and in through the rubber grommet in behind the arch liner on that side, then with the main loom down the side of the car to wherever your amp is. Also run the control down the same side, except to the head unit.

Run the RCAs from the stereo around the drivers side, and down that way. That means you avoid getting noise from having the power too close to the signal.

Ground the amp to a nearby bolt and should be good to go..

Soldat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Blake
Drive
R33 GTST (S2)
yeah, running the cable isn't my issue, attaching its fat self to the battery is. But I'll go the whole crimp method first. If that doesn't hold I'll go the new terminal method.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
I would go with the new terminal method just because I've had bad experiences with the stock negative terminal corroding and losing current, making the alternator overwork and burn out.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
i prefer getting the "block" from jb hi fi's or something to conected to the battery. I am running 2 alpines one mono750w and one 4 channel something like 750w al well without the block and works fine. How do i know? i connected the voltemeter and tested it out. Losen on of the bolts at the battery terminal and hook it up with the open ended thingie..

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
ok i did all of this weekend just passed. re-wired the whole car, yes even the factory splits wires. anywho. after running the power cables thru the wheel arch. i went to jaycar and got those digital terminals. only cost like $25. u get 4 holes, 2 8G, 1 4G and a 2G. or maybe it was 1 gauge, but its ****ing massive. i ran the car wire to the massive hole with room to spare, from memory i think its a 2gauge wire. and the accessories run a 4G wire.

with the negative. i left as is, and earthed the amps to the body of the car. with no longer than 1M of ground cable. any longer and the signal will deteriate and will get grounding issues. as i did with my old car.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
i think there is a whole 'how to' thread on this but im not sure,i dont think it covers what you wanted to know about the terminals,not that it matters because youve done it now.good job

Soldat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Blake
Drive
R33 GTST (S2)
Yeah I checked the "How to run power to the boot" write-up already, its good stuff.

I looked at those jaycar digi terminals, figure one might be good for a laugh.

Anyway, you guys have given me the info I needed so I'll make sure I take photos of everything as I go and maybe get them added to that existing write-up.

Top Bottom