Mamba High Flowed TD03 Adventure

Harleyd123

Choo Choo
First Name
Dan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4
So a few months ago i bought these Mamba turbos that popped up on Ebay out of nowhere.

They have a machined out Compressor housing to allow for a much larger inducer (sizing is in the listing) and have a stock wheel at the back, which many have pointed out as a bit of a concern, but I'm deciding to push forward with it anyway. Larger turbine wheels which have now become available here, I messaged the seller and they said they wont be included in the rebuilt turbos, they will always just be an option to buy separate and get the turbo assembled and re-balanced yourself.

Buying them:
Ebay, so nice and easy, they come from china so it took about a month for them to actually be dispatched, but arrived 2 days after DHL picked them up which is pretty wild.

Fitting them:
It was a solid afternoon job to fit them, I think the lesson was not to have friends help. For the front its best to remove the Front pipes, Y-pipe, radiator, inlet pipe, heat shields, waste-gate actuator, and any of the other intake stuff that gets in the way of whatever tools you have. once that is gone there are just a three bolts holding the turbo onto the header, they will likely be seized because of the amount of heat cycles they see, so hose them down with WD-40 or something and let it really sink in before attacking it with breaker, i was lucky and nothing snapped. You will 100% need a rattle gun to get the bolts off of the little dump pipe on the back of the turbos, new gaskets are a must too, mine all came apart as soon as there was no pressure on them. As for the rear, after nearly rounding the first heat shield bolt I attacked, I went for the option of undoing the V-band the holds the turbo together and pulling off the core and compressor cover while leaving the turbine housing in place, saved me decades of heartache and I suggest you do it too. The only thing that is tricky is getting the orientation of the turbo correct when putting the new core back in place, i found the easiest way was to get the V-band on and secure, then attaching the waste-gate to get it close to aligned, you can then leave the nut on the V-band a little loose so you can still spin the core until all the oil and coolant lines find their thread easily.

Total job time was about 6 hours, 4 ciders and minimal swearing.

Old Vs New
IMG_0110.JPG

Rear with Turbine housing still in palce

IMG_0117.jpg

Rear with new turbo in place

IMG_0118.JPG

First drive:
Gosh you can actually hear the turbos spooling! It feels like it is coming on boost quicker, but it could be the sensory overload of the fun new sounds and the fact it was one of the first nice sunny days in a few months so I had the windows down and i was generally happy that it started and ran and their was nothing nasty dripping down. I didn't want to take any risks so I turned my EBC down to about 10psi, car is driving nicely, coming on boost smoothly, ultimate test is when it gets tuned at TME in a weeks time.

Tuning:
Not quite what we expected. waiting on Steve's feedback.
dyno run.jpg

Current Modifications:
COP Kit
3SX fuel loop
Walbro 255
1000cc Injectors
RPW front pipes
100 cell ebay cat
Jasma approved catback (weird just under 3" japanese size)
Varex cannon
Turbosmart Bov
Grimspeed 3 Port
some Ebay spec 600x300x76 Inter-cooler

Stock balloon pipes
Stock "dumps"

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
Did they sting you on import tax or did they undervalue them for you?

Harleyd123

Choo Choo
First Name
Dan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4
Not really sure, I paid what it said on the listing, I was happy with that, no idea how import tax works tbh

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
Not really sure, I paid what it said on the listing, I was happy with that, no idea how import tax works tbh
When they get to Australia they send you a bill if its over $1000 before customs release them to you . they tax you for the whole 1300 they got me when I got my diff from the States.

Harleyd123

Choo Choo
First Name
Dan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4
They must have undervalued it then, i think the invoice only said $950 or something, i just assumed they meant USD and the conversion explained the difference, i guess they did me a solid

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
2010 50cc Scooter - Daily
Cool! They seem pretty much an off the shelf, bolt on upgrade so that's pretty great. Not having to modify coolant/oil lines is a big plus. Hope you fair well in the tune!

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Regarding getting the alignment right:
So the new ones didn't have the little locating dowel the stocks have? Or was it in a different spot?

Harleyd123

Choo Choo
First Name
Dan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4
Regarding getting the alignment right:
So the new ones didn't have the little locating dowel the stocks have? Or was it in a different spot?

Its was more a case of getting it all to hold together and getting the bolt in the Vband, needed three smaller hands to complete the task, I did feel it get more snug once the rotation was right, i could see the hole for the dowel in the New one

IMG_0115.jpg

But couldn't eyeball it on the turbine while it was on the car

Rowie94

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6

1998 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4

Yamaha FZ6R
So, to clarify, did this set come with new exhaust housings or did you retain the originals?

Harleyd123

Choo Choo
First Name
Dan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4
It came with new housings, I used the new one on front turbo, but due to the difficulty of removing the rear housing on the rear turbo I retained the original, the turbine side of the new turbo is identical to stock

Rowie94

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6

Yamaha FZ6R
It came with new housings, I used the new one on front turbo, but due to the difficulty of removing the rear housing on the rear turbo I retained the original, the turbine side of the new turbo is identical to stock

Seems a good move if it's that much easier. Absolutely no volumetric difference at all? Or perhaps a tiny bit, but nothing worth the headache and cut knuckles? Sorry to be a stickler :)

Harleyd123

Choo Choo
First Name
Dan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4
Turbine housings weren’t machined at all, turbine wheel is stock, keeps the response good but will limit top end as it does in the stock units

Rowie94

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6

Yamaha FZ6R
Turbine housings weren’t machined at all, turbine wheel is stock, keeps the response good but will limit top end as it does in the stock units
Oh really? I thought the turbines were a little bigger too. Damn, we'll need to see the difference on the dyno.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Hmmm watching with interest, still have the Galant and new bolt-on turbos might make it a fun weekend toy.

Reactions: Gav

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
Disappointing :-(

Harleyd123

Choo Choo
First Name
Dan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4
quite, doesn't seem to be the turbos letting it down though, engine has an unknown amount of kms on it and may be a bit tired, will be tweaking a few things and having another crack when Steve comes to Melbourne next, providing the engine lasts....

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Just reading the modifications you've done, firstly, what are 'balloon pipes'

Also, when's the ethanol tune if you've already got all the required supporting mods like injectors and coil on plug?

Harleyd123

Choo Choo
First Name
Dan
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4
Balloon pipes, pipes that are known to swell up like balloon, the factory black shit braided things, I haven’t replace mine with silicone yet.

I don’t really have plans for ethanol at this point

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Balloon pipes, pipes that are known to swell up like balloon, the factory black shit braided things, I haven’t replace mine with silicone yet.

I don’t really have plans for ethanol at this point
Get hard pipes if you can over the silicone ones

Top Bottom