Manual Gearbox oil change

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
hey just wondering how hard and whats involved in changing the oil in a manual gearbox, as i've never done it before.

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
assume its the same as any car really, jack car up, remove drain plug on box, replace when empty, fill with correct fluid, through fill plug, til it starts running back out, and replace fill plug...???anyone...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I was going to say the exact same thing as Fred, just didn't get around to it yesterday!

It is exactly as Fred said, both points are on the passenger side of course on the gearbox itself.

Also what oil do you have? You will find that with some oils the gear changes will be very stiff, Castrol VMX is good stuff, as well as the original Mitsi fluid.

G

Unregistered
First time u'll prolly get oil all over ur hands.
Usually a good time to replace the oil filter, its easy to get at once the car is jacked up and the plastic engine covers underneath are removed. Make sure u drain the oil before u remove it ;)

G

Unregistered
I changed all of my oils and the gearbox would have been the easiest one out of them all, they AYC being the hardest because of its awkard location. But gearbox is easy.

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
can u change the ayc fluid yourself??? & what oil(s) does the rear diff take in total(how many chambers..)...sorry off topic..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Not to sound like a forum nazi, but the search button is your friend ;)

There is sooo much stuff on this forum and on ClubVR4, for the vast majority of standard service questions you might have you should be able to find a wealth of information already at your fingertips :)

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
Thanks for the answers guys, this is on my list of things to do when i get the car. Should be interesting to try to do :D

Top Bottom