manual v auto

G

Unregistered
is there any real difference in speed (pre FL) manual v auto?
is one weaker than the other?
which is better to drive! :D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Auto PFL's have 260hp, it can be fixed by upping the boost though.

The autos tend to die more often than manuals.

G

Unregistered
auto

but you can't shift quicker than a auto can

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
You can with practice.
But you can't do it while eating a Big Mac.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Autos are great for when you're feeling lazy and the traffic is crawling, or when the music is cranking and you can't hear the revs, or when you're filming yourself driving fast or any other one handed activities. They are also good because the tiptronic gives you some control when you feel like it. Best of both worlds. You can launch them off the mark at full boost by using the brakes also.

They seem to handle decent power and a good thrashing if u service them with an amsoil flush and trans cooler install... have been giving mine over 200kw atw for almost a year now, and am about to try for 250kw atw and see what happens, apparently they can be rebuilt and strengthened up also.

G

Unregistered
surely a manual is faster than a auto, shifting and off the line, or am i wrong?
also surely the manual is better to drive because of the potential for more control, is there a noticable difference in power, ie if you put a stock for stock manual v auto?
also i know manuals are worth quite a bit more, why is this?

thanks

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
surely a manual is faster than a auto, shifting and off the line, or am i wrong?
also surely the manual is better to drive because of the potential for more control, is there a noticable difference in power, ie if you put a stock for stock manual v auto?
also i know manuals are worth quite a bit more, why is this?

dawso has one of each, and from what I remember, he said the auto is better off the line but the manual catches up pretty quick. But that could be due to different mods on each.

I have a manual, but at the drags I sometimes wish it was an auto due to the consistency it provides. Stuffing up a run due to a crappy launch or a missed gear sucks big time!

The premium on manuals is the same for any car, they are seen to be more "sporty" I guess..

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Autos are great for when you're feeling lazy and the traffic is crawling.

I find the 1st-2nd gearing very annoying in traffic - especially how the car will change down from 2nd to 1st even when in tip-mode.

G

Unregistered
you have to be going extremely low for it to drop back into first, and if it does and you bump it back into second, it wont drop to first again. (unless you speed up and then drop back down into its first gear speed range)

G

Unregistered
for stop/start traffic why don't you leave it in auto?
that's what its best at, not having to worry about changing gears every 1.2 seconds

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
One day i'll post a thread with my opinions on it.... Then get other people such as Brad and the D's to add their findings with them as he has had both too

Basically the auto is quicker to 100, but the manual would catch it from there (with similiar mods). the auto is very consistent unless you start programming INVECS by using the tiptronic

The auto uses less fuel on the open road than the manual, and the manual uses less around town

The auto is better for stop/start traffic as the manual just becomes a bitch with its close ratio'd 1st and 2nd.

I'm currently getting the auto fixed which seems to be a common problem, but you have to remember that clutches need to be replaced in manuals too.... Its kind of the luck of the draw with autos unfortunately but you are guarenteed to want to replace a clutch if you do enough k's in manual.

Both have their pros and cons, but at the end of the day, manual drivers will drive manuals and auto drivers will drive autos :)

(And some clowns who can't make up their mind will have both :ROFLMAO:)

G

Unregistered
manuals are quicker full stop.

mine and rhys' cars are identical, both have Series 1 auto ecu's, with fujitsubo 3" catbacks and 14psi from a MBC.

i can probably JUST get him off the line cause of boost, but once his hooks up from a PROPER launch (not a pissy ~3000rpm launch) he's got me in every gear.

rolls ons in 5th gear is the only way the auto will pull away (and only just), but i reckon a 0-180km/h would see the manual ahead, and hitting 180 first.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
for stop/start traffic why don't you leave it in auto?

Don't get me wrong, that's exactly what I do. I just feel like there is a lot of unnecessary gear changes from 1-2 making it feel like the box is doing a lot of work for no reason. I guess I'm only nit-picking really..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I agree with all of the above, however I have driven a manual VR-4 in traffic quite a bit and their clutch is very light and the gears are all precise, it isn't a big difficult lug like our Monaro with huge gear throws and a heavy clutch.

An auto is going to be very similar to a manual to 100kmh because you have to change to 3rd in a manual. To just about any given speed though, the manual will be faster.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I dunno guys, with similiar mods i reckon the auto would be ahead till the manual hits third..... I'll have to drag mine sometime :) (Any excuse will do....)

I thought the box learns while you're in drive, not tip. :confused:

Our cars use INVECS II which is programmed off the tiptronic system.... You can test this out by continually revving the guts of your car using the tip and then driving in auto mode it will do the same. Only way to reset it is to reset your battery, it's really hard to make it relearn by changing driving style, takes ages :)

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
I would have thought that the manual would be quicker off the line because of the ability to do a big rev and clutch dump launch (think of how motoring journalists and ram raiders launch WRXs).

In a car like the Galant / Legnum, I understand that manuals cost a bit more simply by virtue of the fact that they're rarer.

I do understand why you might go the tip box if you did a lot of driving in traffic. However, I think if you want full control over your car, the manual is the go. Sure, the auto is a tiptronic box, but you don't get the same satisfaction of pulling off a perfect heel and toe or getting the shift just right near redline.

As a general rule, manuals tend to stack up better once the mods and power level go up.

G

Unregistered
did everyone just skip over my post?

2 identical cars, one auto, one manual, manual is quicker at everything.

Top Bottom