Martin's New Legnum VR4 - Adelaide

VR4STHOZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
shane
Drive
1999 Legnum Type-S
Nah but if yours is grey it may have been a guy named matt's. He sold his for around that price... he had an boost issue from what i can remember and he baught an is200 after that.

The guy that baught mine was a young asian bloke.. he fixed thenoil leak then sold it to am older guy up near golden groce.. lost track of it after that

Sent from my S3, While bored at work.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Nah but if yours is grey it may have been a guy named matt's. He sold his for around that price... he had an boost issue from what i can remember and he baught an is200 after that.

This one was absolutely fine, but had an oil leak. It was just the o ring under the oil cooler sandwich plate ~$3. I bought it through Ebay. The car not the o ring...

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Welcome along mate, enjoy your stay

Thanks :) Do you have some general prices for your services? I am very impressed by your work, and a detail is on the list. PM if you prefer :)

VR4STHOZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
shane
Drive
1999 Legnum Type-S
Ah ok.. have a look on ozcelica and toymods.. chuxk it on both.. its will sell quick.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Ah ok.. have a look on ozcelica and toymods.. chuxk it on both.. its will sell quick.

Didn't read all of your last reply, I lived at Golden Grove and bought it from an older guy near golden grove. BB828Z ring any bells?

VR4STHOZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
shane
Drive
1999 Legnum Type-S
Mine was an aa plate i think lol... ill have a look
Grey is the old, the white one is my current one

n687743909_1507378_2167874.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0349.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 105

it's.simon

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
VR-4 Galant Type S
Ah so the infamous car owner has introduced himself! Welcome welcome! Maybe I'm just a weirdo especially with how I modified my own vr4 (or because I'm Asian haha) but i love the dolphin wing and the roof racks. The grill...not so much but that wing I like! Enjoy your legnum. :)

Remember to wave when we drive past, I've seen you numerous times. (I am the black galant with fitted wheels)

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
Welcome Martin :)
Tidy looking Legnum, some nice bits and pieces on their already. Not many with full hard pipes.
Stop past the next SA meet up if you are free (Jon's BBQ and Cruise I think). I'm very keen to hear that exhaust personally!

Have you organised a swap yet for the front grill? If no-one has jumped onto it yet, I wouldn't mind doing a swap.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Welcome aboard.... Soft spot for the celica's :)

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Ah so the infamous car owner has introduced himself! Welcome welcome! Maybe I'm just a weirdo especially with how I modified my own vr4 (or because I'm Asian haha) but i love the dolphin wing and the roof racks. The grill...not so much but that wing I like! Enjoy your legnum. :)

Remember to wave when we drive past, I've seen you numerous times. (I am the black galant with fitted wheels)

I didn't think it was infamous :p I actually have only had it a week, so you probably saw the previous owner - but I will wave if i see you!

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Welcome Martin :)
Tidy looking Legnum, some nice bits and pieces on their already. Not many with full hard pipes.
Stop past the next SA meet up if you are free (Jon's BBQ and Cruise I think). I'm very keen to hear that exhaust personally!

Have you organised a swap yet for the front grill? If no-one has jumped onto it yet, I wouldn't mind doing a swap.

Some have been keen to buy it, but none had white ones to swap. Is the one you have from a facelift or PFL?

bex

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Rebecca
Drive
Legnum
Hi everyone,

My name is Martin, and I have just bought a Legnum - my first ever non-Toyota.

I wasn't looking for a new car at all, infact I was quite content with my assortment of Toyotas (Had 4 at the time), but when I test drove a VR4 for a friend I fell in love (with the Legnum, not the friend - or the seller). That was some six months ago, and at first I tried to tell myself that I still loved my ageing ST165 Celica GT-FOUR (1989) and UZZ32 Soarer (1992). The ST165 had AWD and a turbo, so it was just as good as a Legnum for grip and performance surely. The UZZ32 had a very advaced, complicated and rare Active Hydro-Pneumatic suspension system (no springs, dampers or swaybars) which worked together with 4 wheel steering to give the barge surprising ability in the corners, whilst not compromising the ride quality in any way. How could I replace such a thing with a Mitsubishi!

I found myself looking at Legnums for sale online, just out of interest rather that actually intending to buy one, but the more I saw - the more I wanted one. I have never owned a car with rear doors, let alone one that was a stationwagon. The concept that I could go to Bunnings and fit almost anything in (or on) the car and still have the ability that comes with AYC and a pair of turbos for the drive home was astounding. I joined OZVR4 and read up on these mysterious beasts, further fueling my desires. I read of ECU reflashes, Brembo brake upgrades, Auto v Manual pros and cons, Automatic wavespring failures (at great length) and realised that there was a thriving community of owners who loved their VR4s, as well as plenty who were working to improve them. This was a good sign.

I don't know the exact moment when I actually commited to acquiring one, but before I knew it I had sold two of my other Celicas (ST204 and ST162). This was not enough for what I was originally budgeting, and I had intended to wait until I sold the ST165 before I bought a VR4, but I stumbled upon one that fit the bill, and didn't break the bank. So I bit the bullet, and here it is:

It's a 1999, ~130,000Km, Type S, Auto

Non-Factory items include:
-Dolphin Front Grill (Don't like at all really - PM me if you have a stock FL Pearl White grille for sale (in SA preferably))
-Dolphin Rear Spoiler (starting to grow in me, but still not a huge fan of the huge wing - PM me if you have a stock one)
-Slotted rotors all round
-Braided front brake lines
-Some sort of aftermarket brake pads - they are white in colour, any ideas what they might be? I will pull them out one day and look.
-Stainless lines from turbo outlets to intercooler, and intercooler to throttle body
-HID low beams
-APEXI Air Filter (must go, need facory airbox - PM me if you have one in SA or if you want said APEXI filter)
-Blitz SBC id Boost Controller (will go when I am ready for a tune)
-Viper Alarm
-KYB suspension, unsure of the details but the struts have KYB embossed in them. Struts are yellow, with purple springs. They ride quite well, but seem to be lower and stiffer than stock. Anyone have any idea of exactly what these are likely to be? They are not height adjustable like Bilsteins.
-Stainless front pipe from both turbos, no idea on brand or if hand made. 3", pipes from each turbo are smaller.
-3" exhaust from front pipe back, rear muffler a Fujitsubo - and I would guess the whole system is as it seems to have come as one unit, but I could be wrong. Sounds really nice and is really quiet! Double win :)
-Roof Racks, but they don't come off as there is no key - any ideas besides a locksmith?

I haven't put too many K's on it yet, but I am very happy so far. It makes a lovely noise as the turbos come on boost, and the automatic gearbox is fantastic. The interior is surprisingly comfortable, the only annoyance is a squeak in the back that seems to be coming from the cargo blind. I really don't understany why anyone buys any other wagon!

The short term plans for it are to fit a trans cooler - ASAP, then give it a service (oil, filter, coolant, trans flush, AYC flush, transfer case oil, rear diff oil, brake fluid) and replace the front lower control arms (as a precautionary measure mostly). Long term, I want to install COP, an evo BOV, 3 port Solonoid, better (but still black) intercooler and have it tuned to extend its abilities.

I AM LOOKING FOR SOME DIN STEREO MOUNTS AS THIS CAR CAME WITHOUT THEM AND THE STEREO IS JUST SITTING THERE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE SOME THAT I CAN BUY :)

Also, these stickers are on my rear window. What the hell are they? Its been bugging me for days. Note the "No." on each sticker with a different number.

Thankyou to the many members of OZVR4 who have, without realising, inspired me to break free from the homogenous cars of my past - and given much of their time an efforts to publish what they have learned, so that others like me can benefit from their experience.
Do U need a vr4 AYC diff.im selling

Top Bottom