Massive Back Fire Now Terrible Fuel Consumption

Skip187

Crunching Gears
First Name
Shane
Drive
2000 Type-S Cold Spec
ok so i change the oil 2 weeks go as normal as well as the alt and power belts. had been driving as normal but the other night doing 60 it had a slight splutter and then BANG! a massive backfire (with a nice cloud of smoke) unsure of color though. when i came to a stop it was struggling to idle but a couple mins later it seemed fine running as normal. i checked all pipework and hoses for leaks or splits but everything seems fine.

Today i started the car and went from 3/4 tank to 1/4 in less than 50kms :eek:hmy:!

im sure it could be 1 of a million things any help would be great !

cheers

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
check your plugs
check your leads
check your coilpacks
check your O2 sensor

G

Unregistered
ok so i change the oil 2 weeks go as normal as well as the alt and power belts. had been driving as normal but the other night doing 60 it had a slight splutter and then BANG! a massive backfire (with a nice cloud of smoke) unsure of color though. when i came to a stop it was struggling to idle but a couple mins later it seemed fine running as normal. i checked all pipework and hoses for leaks or splits but everything seems fine.

Today i started the car and went from 3/4 tank to 1/4 in less than 50kms :eek:hmy:!

im sure it could be 1 of a million things any help would be great !

cheers
Our gauges regularly do that :p

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
yeah, i'd wait to see what actualy consumption is upon refuelling, and yes, check plugs & leads. Then if still running like poop, pressure test the intake in search of leaks.

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
'90 MX5 and '01 LR Freelander V6 Softback
A ratty O2 sensor can make it run rich and use more fuel. It may have been damaged or covered in soot when your car backfired.

The backfire itself might have been caused by plugs, leads or coils.

Skip187

Crunching Gears
First Name
Shane
Drive
2000 Type-S Cold Spec
Leads and plugs were change less than 6 months ago @ SKR possibly O2 might have 2 try and source a new 1. Alp I know how are gauges can be as the car over 12 months now and never had a drop like that! Generally its around the 270- 300kms with 1/4 tank left not 190.

Thanx guys

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
I've seen it twice where a strand of drive belt (alt or PS) sheers off and end up in timing cover making the timing belt jump a couple of teeth.
If it is running OK now I think it is safe to say it's not coil packs or plugs. I wonder if it is overfuelling, check the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Skip187

Crunching Gears
First Name
Shane
Drive
2000 Type-S Cold Spec
Love 2 jonson but I got no idea lol but I changed the belts cause 1 was was 4 wide not 6 but is still fine now but doesnt have the kick under boost it did b4

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Check timing marks?
To do this you need to- remove one of the top timing covers to expose the cam gear, spint the engine over by the crankshaft until the white line lines up with the 'T' on the timing cover, then look on the cam gear and see if the line on the cam gear lines up with the mark/line that is etched on the rocker cover.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Check the connection into the intake maybe the internal seal could have displaced itself.

Gary

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Check to see if the diaphragm holds vacuum, any reputable workshop will have a vac gauge. As they get older the diaphragm can crack and leak.

Top Bottom