max boost 14psi??

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Are you running an auto or manual? That will alter your correction.

BTW, our drive train is COMPLETELY different to an Evo X. You should "really" stop any comparisons in that field at Evo 6.5.

None the less, i am pretty surprised at the figures you have pulled with stock cooler. When Dave (merlin) tuned our's, he noticed a big increase in intake temps with high boost figures, with Chris's stock cooler.

Yeah I agree about the comparisons, probably not perfect but gives an idea.... and it's a manual and the runs were in 4th gear.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Run one sounds great. That is 240 to 250kw depending on what power loss figures you want to use and 505 to 525nm or so.

It's not bad but it's REALLY inefficient at that point, run 2 is much safer and similar enough results, I have multiple boost maps so I can pick and choose.... I run like run 3 most of the time and if I want to have a go I can flick to run 2 by opening the glovebox and flicking a switch.

Very interested in your car though as my aim (from the day I thought of buying the car) is 400HP on stock turbos. Looking at the curves at this point I hope that stock cooler and pipe is as bad as everyone says cos it's got a long way to go to 400HP.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Well my turbos aren't quite stock. I don't know exactly what was done to them but they were high flowed and fully rebuilt.

If it was me I would push for the max boost low down and then taper off to what you've got on setup two at higher rpm.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Well my turbos aren't quite stock. I don't know exactly what was done to them but they were high flowed and fully rebuilt.

If it was me I would push for the max boost low down and then taper off to what you've got on setup two at higher rpm.

Ahhh.... I was thinking after these runs that the turbos were never gonna get there without some form of a miracle.... We'll see what the intercooler and pipes do next. I'd rather hiflow these than go bigger turbos, I want to keep the low down response, then again newer turbos can run so much better, I saw an evo x peaking 440Nm @3000RPM at the hubs on that dyno with just an exhaust and tune, that's pretty good low down for a single turbo. Ours are still better below that though.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Do a bit of a search on here and you should find something about rebuilding our turbo's, apparently its not a good idea

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
201kW at the hubs, 402Nm Torque (referenced to engine speed). (Without entering into arguments about how valid this is as I know the drivetrains are different) using EVO losses this equates to about 255kW (340HP) and 505Nm of Torque at the Flywheel.

And incidentally the peak power occurs at 14psi @ 6000RPM (although it's up to 16.5 earlier on).

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
02 vr4 galant, 92 vr4, 85 starion
Mine has 16psi 3000rpm-5000rpms and then drops and holds 14psi to 7000rpms, no problems and only mods are MBC, dumps back exhaust, panel filter upgrade and flash tune! Its an 02 sedan and remember guys that the standard cooler is good till 200kws so no big point changing it below this, and the standard air box setup is good till 250kws my injectors are standard and so is my fuel pump as well and it still put 175kws out on 14psi and power band is kept between 3-5000rpms happy with this as my daily:) Steve Knight did a great job

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
With uprated boost you will see an increase in power and flow with a bigger intercooler. I maintain that it should be one of the first mods any of you Aussie guys do, especially with summer on the way.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I agree with Brad, upgraded IC is first thing to do. Haven't seen many people making 200kw on a stock cooler

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
02 vr4 galant, 92 vr4, 85 starion
Understand cooler gives beter flow and we do get bad summers, i will be doing this as my next upgrade but they are fine till 200kws and air box setup till 250kws so if your putting out between 140-180kws on averge then really no point and for the gains in this power range more of a bling factor, but cooler air is cooler so why not cant go wrong:)

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
when my car was tuned (100% stock apart from MBC) I could only run about 13-14 psi before intake temps would start getting to high, with a better IC I think I could run 15-16 just fine. So even if it is the only mod you make besides boost controller, it is still a worthwhile one. You did mention we get bad summers, come up to QLD and that bad summer last for about 9 months of the year, any kind of mods that help with cooling are good ones here.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
A better intercooler allows it to be more efficient too when it's tuned. You can run more advance with the intercooler installed. The cooler helps intake temps in two ways, the lower pressure drop means the turbos aren't having to do so much work to get the same boost to the manifold and obviously if it cools better this gets temps down too.... Even if you don't have other supporting mods, it still helps....

YTRY50

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
1996 VRG Galant->1996 Galant VR4->2002 Galant GLS->1998 Galant VR4
i have a manual galant running 8psi standard, so it's safe to run 10psi, would it even make much difference? fully stock apart from no cat and 600x300 intercooler

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Yes, and it'd be safe to run 12-13 seeing as you have an aftermarket FMIC. Put the boost up and you'll notice the difference :)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Search is your friend to be more informed (or even just read through this thread) but yes assuming you are running 98 or better fuel.... A facelift runs up to 11 std anyway.... Tune it and do a few more things like the exhaust and you can run a whole lot more than that lower in the rev range....

YTRY50

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
1996 VRG Galant->1996 Galant VR4->2002 Galant GLS->1998 Galant VR4
search is not my friend lol you can read for hours and never get a certain answer, may as well just ask again...thanks anyway bro :)

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
crank it up to 13-14, it will handle it fine and you will notice a big difference

themuss

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Gus
Drive
Vr4
Indeed I have been, and my car makes 228kw at the wheels, it is moving a fair amount of air through. I will admit it has only done 7000km on those turbos from new, but they show no signs of having any problems at all, and I do tend to trash it. The Pukekohe raceway must be hard on turbos, accelerating from ~80kmh to ~235kmh each lap, then from ~60kmh to 205kmh as well, each lap is only 1:10s long as well!

However I don't think that Bernard is saying 13.3psi will lead to immediate destruction, 13.2psi translates to 0.9 bar which is where that figure comes from.
Hey brad i can't get past 10psi ebc mbc free boosting and all even no lines to gates just runs 5 was only hitting 5 when i got it no boost controller what should i be looking at to get more?? Supposed to have a speedlab chip for 1 bar but cant hit it ever

Top Bottom