Max stock engine power

Jason Lintern

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jason
Drive
2001 Legnum VR-4
Hi all,

I've had a search and can't find what i'm after, or if someone has a link to a thread. Does anyone know roughly what power the stock engine can handle? Just curious to work out what mods i can get away with before doing the internals.

Cheers

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
How long is a piece of string?...
But really it all depends on a bunch of different things. Fuel type, turbo(s) , competence of the tuner.

Ive had a stock motor with cams and TD04s running pump gas and water methanol fogger to 422whp.

You can make more power if you really wanna push the boat out, but the stock rods are extremely skinny. Me personally would not want to push more than 450whp out of one if you wanted any sort of longevity out of the motor. But again you can be lower than that and easily lift the heads if your running lots of boost down low in the rev range and using Ethanol blend fuels. All depends on how your engine is making its power.

Jason Lintern

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jason
Drive
2001 Legnum VR-4
Thanks for that. At this stage, 300 atwkw is i plan on chasing. While im no mechanic, i know a little bit. And who knows the complete history of my engine. It may have been flogged and on its last legs. But in the 11's for a quarter mile woulf be nice aswell.

But i will start gentle and go from there.

Shakedown

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Samy
Drive
Mirage
How long is a piece of string?...
But really it all depends on a bunch of different things. Fuel type, turbo(s) , competence of the tuner.

Ive had a stock motor with cams and TD04s running pump gas and water methanol fogger to 422whp.

You can make more power if you really wanna push the boat out, but the stock rods are extremely skinny. Me personally would not want to push more than 450whp out of one if you wanted any sort of longevity out of the motor. But again you can be lower than that and easily lift the heads if your running lots of boost down low in the rev range and using Ethanol blend fuels. All depends on how your engine is making its power.

Is that figure at the wheels? That is quite impressive on a stock internal engine. I thought it could barely handle a little bit over stock power.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Whp yes. At the wheels. How it didnt lift the heads i dont know. But we went into the dyno knowing that was a possibility.

Top Bottom