Mayday!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
they actually changed the design of the seal from an older style to a newer style with an extra lip on it. The tip box guys on cvr4 did some research into it. imho that makes it a recall problem if mitsi fixed the design to stop an issue, but they haven't recalled it yet, so I doubt they will ever recall it.

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
That's farked!

hey how much does the seal cost anyways and is it the same as the magna awd seal i.e. can I get one in Aus or will I need to order it from NZ.

Also does that mean if I replace it with the new theoretically it shouldn't fark up again for a long while...?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
no idea about the magna seal!

We haven't seen anyone run the new seal for a while yet, so no-one knows how much better they are

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Oh so this is a new seal, how new...?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I don't know that one for sure, I think the other guys noticed a difference about a year ago.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
I hope so, even at $50 per hour that's still gonna cost me $400, I've only had the car for a week as well...

Man I haven't even been thrashing it...

We charge $80p/h and would do it for you. I personally only do compliance, however the head mechanic is very experianced with AWD (he did his apprentiship at Subaru) and he is in a pit crew for an EVO7 Rally team. I am sure he could handle the job in under a day.

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Cool I'll keep that in mind if it's it... What is your shop called again?

Also what is the procedure for checking the trans fluid again, I can't find the post on it...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Been looking through CAPS for about 45 minutes and managed to find a bunch of seals related to the torque converter, but not certain which one is the one that's been failing on the auto boxes. Anyone got a part number? Or a more accurate description that either CAPS will recognise, or I can work it out from?

Fricken auto transmissions... *grumbles*

EDIT: Is it this?

TorqueConverterSeal01.gif

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Well the bad news is it's the torque seal... Trans fluid all around it... I knew it was anyway... It's a small leak but it's a leak...

Funny thing is that it didn't leak today and it seems that there is still a fair amount of trans fluid in there... My mechanic (retired) says that the seal could of expanded again but it's unlikely and it's probably due to the car sitting at Shogun unused for so long (farken compliance, grumble grumble!)

I need to top up the trans fluid so if someone could spell out the brand that I should be using and where to get it from I'll love you in a non gay way for it...

He reckons that i should get it done asap, which I will after asking around and getting some quotes...

Now is this part available in Australia immediately or will it need to be ordered as I am confused to the idea that the Magna AWD has the same auto gearbox?

If anyone can help me with that they will receive the same non gay love...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Matt according to CAPS the F41A Diamante 2.5L AWD has the same auto transmission as the EC5W, so technically yes that's the Magna AWD, but not sure if that version was available in Australia or not. The upside is you WILL be able to get the part and it shouldn't cost too much - the downside is you might have to wait a week or so.

If I'm right, that seal is part number MD707575, but don't go ordering anything until someone can confirm I'm looking at the right bit ;)

For auto trans oil, Mitsubishi recommends using DiaQueen ATF SPIII, although that's the original brand in Japan and you probably won't find that elsewhere. Here's a listing of compatible products:
Diamond ATF SPIII (USA market)
BP Autran SPIII (Europe)

Apparently you can also use INVECS II (adaptive automatic transmission) or INVECS III (CVT).

You might need to do some hunting to find out what is available in Australia that is compatible - I'd start with your local Mitsi workshop or genuine parts distributor. Let us know how you go! :)

BTW the transmission will take a whopping 7.8L of fluid, too!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Amsoil ATF is also very good and surpasses the SPIII spec, dunno if you guys can get that over there.

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
If you don't want to do it immediately, save some money in the mean time. I hate saying this to people, but usually a bit of silicon on it will hold it up for a while but its DODGY and wont last forever. Its only an idea but should stop the leak for a bit until you decide what you want to do.

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Amsoil ATF is also very good and surpasses the SPIII spec, dunno if you guys can get that over there.

Yeah it's stocked here in Australia and most mechanics sell it... It's $20 for a Ltr not sure how much in bulk at my local place but I have seen it for around $15 at other places... But for the sake of $5...

Anyways I was talking to a trans guy who's apparently good and reckons that you usually need to have the converter snout replaced or machined at the same time... Do you reckon he's on to something or just trying to make more money...?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I haven't heard of anyone ever doing that Matt, so I dunno if that is something that has to be done on some cars or not, but noone has done it on a Legnum!

Trev - it is the closest one to the Torque Converter.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
TorqueConverterSeal01.gif

What, 27099, not 27011??! 27099 is a rubber O-ring. 27011 is the oil-pump seal between the torque convertor and the gearbox... Is the O-ring what you guys are talking about, then???

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Just to be annoying the car hasn't leaked a drop in the past two days... There's still plenty of Trans fluid in there as well... I'm gonna see how it goes over the next few weeks though but I'm stumped...

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Might just have been one of those things! But id keep a close eye on it, it might have just wanted to spit a bit of fluid after not being driven for ages or there could be a very slow leak from a seal which released a bit while the car was sitting around and once warmed up there was enough to drip off?

Im probably wrong, but id be telling myself those things......

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Yeah good call, I wont let it slip out of my mind and I'll be looking at the floor as I reverse away from now on... :)

Top Bottom