Metal Clip on Brake Pads

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Hi all, I'm just finishing up a front caliper overhaul and fitting some new EBC Redstuff pads, and I've realised that the second set of pads doesn't have the metal clip.

On the old pads that were removed there was one with the clip on the inner side of each caliper.

Can anyone tell me whether this clip is needed?

I can't work out why it would be necessary, but it does seem odd that only one of the four pads in the box came with it.

Here's a picture of the finished caliper, and I've circled the metal clip that's missing on the other set.

Cheers,
Paul.

Caliper.jpg

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Usually there's only 1 per axle.. but ive seen in the past that only 1 pin is supplied for the whole set

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Ah OK then, thanks Christian.
So does it matter whether I put the one that I do have with the clip on the left or right?

craig

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 Legnum Super VR-4, Silver (project)
1997 Galant VR-4, soon to be manual
2004 Toyota Funcargo, Silver (daily)
You will see that it sticks out a little further than the backing plate. It will make an awful noise when your pads are worn down, so left or right shouldn't matter.

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
OK, thanks for that Craig - just thought I should check before I go about reassembling everything.
Cheers guys! (y)

PHIL069

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Phil
Drive
FTO
It's a wear indicator.
As Craig said it will rub on your disc when the pads are worn down.
It's also a way to visually check the wear on your pads.
Either side is alright, but I would put it on the drivers side as that is where you drive from and will hear it better when the time comes.

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Thanks for the input guys.
I've just finished fitting everything back together (overhauled calipers w/ new pads, new RDA slotted rotors and HEL braided brake lines) and bled the calipers and master cylinder.
Taken it for a short drive to do the initial bed-in procedure, and I've got a bit of squealing when I first pull off, and a kind of 'thunk' noise from a couple of the wheels on every rotation (which seemed to settle down by the end of the drive).
I'm hoping that the noises will continue to die down as the new pads and rotors bed in fully over time, but I guess time will tell!

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
squeals can be normal when bedding in new hard compound pads but 'thunks' are definitely not a good sound.

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Yeah, the noise was hard to describe.
It was quite loud and had me worried, so I did some reading about it. On the RDA website they say that rotors with holes or grooves making a bit of noise when they're first installed is just "part of the programme", and any noise should be drastically reduced after a few hundred kilometers.
I've driven maybe 50km's since the install, and thankfully that noise is all but gone (still a bit of squealing when I first take off though).

Top Bottom