Mitsubishi 380 - is it any good?

G

Unregistered
Anyone know anything about the 380s? Any good?

Stay the hell away?

I am considering one as the family hack. Their depreciation is so foul I could get a late model VRX. The seem to have ample power, reasonable economy (unlike my VR4) and are the right size - prerequisite is that two child seats fit across the back seat and still permit an adult to squeeze in uncomfortably beside them. My wife has managed to squeeze in beside the girl's seats in the back of the VR4 but she hasn't been walking the same since.:banghead:

Alternatively considering the purchase of a cardigan to go with a Camry V6 Sportivo.

G

Unregistered
Go the 380. Great car, I had one as a loan car when on holidays, plenty of power and you cant go wrong with a mitsy, Forget the camry. The 380 is slightly bigger too.:cool:

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
big and fwd..

would've considered it if it was AWD... even if NA only...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
they are a good car, I personally like them, my beefs however are:ugly front lights/grillugly 3/4 section at the back around the wheel arches and roof linefwd only. I've said I will never own a fwd car ever again, and I don't intend to!

G

Unregistered
It's the rear lights I find ugly, even on the VR-x. The headlights I actually quite like!

G

Unregistered
nice and torquey ... I think its a great car compared to its competitors.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
The Aurion is well specc'd out too... but also being a fan of the 380. It's worthwhile reading through the forums on

http://www.aussiemagna.com

...since there is also a dedicated 380 owners sub-forums.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Im still dubious about about local mitsis, up until the second last magna model i think they were very average cars. I think the newer 380s would be better built and reasonable value for money, better than a toyota equivalent.

The thing i dont get is mitsu and toyota still persist with with the fwd configurations. Again and again, commos and falcs outsell them cos they are rwd family tractors that are more attractive to the average family man

G

Unregistered
Thanks for the replies guys. Aurions I would love, but are out of the price range. Too new, too good. 380s depreciate almost as fast as a Magna. That's the only thing putting it in reach. I realise they are not the most attractive design, but the size, performance and economy all look good on paper. I haven't driven one yet so the bigarse front drive car question mark hangs over the handling and the tyre wear. Question is, are they screwed together properley? What falls off first.

Drove a Camry Sportivo today (ambitiously named). Handling was impressive for a front drive, brakes were awesome and it was bloody near silent. Good interior space, passes the two child seat and an adult benchmark. The dealer didn't offer me a cardigan though.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I actually don't mind that colour. The interior looks like crap though, especially the central dash area around the stereo.

G

Unregistered
Tell your friend that the resale value on a 380 is bad enough without that colour making it damn near impossible to find a buyer.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Did he notice it's bright metallic green?

yes he does.. that's why he wants it.. but we were looking at mitsubishi's website, we saw the 380 Platinum Edition for $28,900.00

so I guess that green 380's seller is a rip off..

I actually don't mind that colour. The interior looks like crap though, especially the central dash area around the stereo.

he seems to like the interior cause its black leather.. but the dash he doesn't think it looks good unless it's got Nav system.. which he may be looking at once he gets the car.. whatever car anyway..

Tell your friend that the resale value on a 380 is bad enough without that colour making it damn near impossible to find a buyer.

im not sure if he's aware about the bad resale value of it.. but I dont think he's that concerned about it.. at this stage..

I'll tell him what you guys said.. to sway him in getting a VR4.. :D

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
doesnt like the look of the dash well just look the other way while driving thats easy enough, oh hang on :) lol maybe not

i like the qoute "Rare Colour " there is a reason its reare it looks like crap and no one else wants it hence its rare.

Japs have all the good mitsubishi's thou, and for that money he could get himself a damn good legnum or galant why doesnt he look that way instead of getting a car he cant stand to drive because the dash looks so bad lol

G

Unregistered
yes he does.. that's why he wants it.. but we were looking at mitsubishi's website, we saw the 380 Platinum Edition for $28,900.00

so I guess that green 380's seller is a rip off..

I don't know what a "Platinum Edition" is but I assume it is a base model with extras. That car you linked us to is a VR-X which is a $38990 option. So NO I don't think that seller is ripping anyone off. Illustrates my point about Australian Mitsubishis depreciation.

G

Unregistered
OK PLatinum Edition was intitially a $30 990 deal so that 2nd hand VR-X is probably the much better deal. And your mate has already avoided $10 000 depreciation.

Top Bottom